running the PRO 2 sequencer from an external clock

running the PRO 2 sequencer from an external clock
« on: September 29, 2016, 01:14:15 PM »
Hello all, happy new owner of a Pro 2 for a couple days, awesome synth  :)

But is it possible to clock the seq from an external source ?

I've set the play source in the seq menu to "CV1" (I tried all 4 of them in fact, and also EXT IN), tried sending different clock signals like  0-5v gate, 0-10v gate, bipolar +5-5v gate but to no avail so far, the sequencer stays desperately still  :(

I've also tried to set both master and slave in the global settings...still nothing

Am I missing something ?

Thanks for your help

EDIT : I'm on 1.2.0.2 btw

Philippe
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 01:21:39 PM by phisynth »

Re: running the PRO 2 sequencer from an external clock
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 02:17:07 PM »
Have you got the sequencer set to step mode?

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2016, 02:26:23 PM »
Yes

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2016, 02:41:05 PM »
Ok, that's that idea down the pan.

I'll try to set it up here in the morning to see if it works here and get back to you...

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2016, 02:53:51 PM »
Great, thanks ! I really don't see what I could be doing wrong

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2016, 04:51:15 PM »
As Bob said, make sure the sequencer is set to Step and the Play Source is set to whatever you are using to clock the Pro 2.  Also check in the Misc Params and make sure your Gate Source is set to whatever you are using to clock the Pro 2.  Hopefully that fixes it.
Sequential/Oberheim

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2016, 03:21:19 AM »
Yes seq is set to step and seq play source to CV1...
...but gate source in misc params ? not sure I checked this, that might be it, will check later today and report back, thanks !

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2016, 04:12:54 AM »
Just had a play, works fine here.

Make sure you use set all the params mentioned by "24dbfilter" in their post above and off you go.

You can test by just connecting CV1 out to CV1 in with a lead and route a square LFO to CV 1 out.

Once that is working try it with an external signal.

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2016, 06:00:42 AM »
Yes it is working fine now, I overlooked the "gate source" setting in misc params

Thanks for your help !!

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2016, 10:25:47 AM »
Good stuff :)

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2016, 09:30:36 AM »
When I set gate source to the external cv clock, turning off steps in the sequencers (adding rests) doesn't work. Is there a way to clock the sequencer externally and have the gates come from the sequencer?

Thanks

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2016, 12:29:34 AM »
Yes, what have you got the play source set to in the sequencer screen?

It should be whatever your gate source us, for example CV1.

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2016, 06:50:50 AM »
Thanks bob. I have no idea what I had different -I could've sworn I had those setting. But it's working now!! 

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2016, 11:09:27 AM »
Good stuff :)

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2016, 04:18:14 PM »
Ok one more  :)

Is it possible to use the keyboard to transpose the sequence while clocking the sequencer from a CV input?  I seem to lose that functionality with these settings.

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2016, 06:19:33 PM »
Yes, you can transpose the sequence via the keyboard while the Pro 2 sequence is being clocked from a CV input.  I think this has already been gone over but make sure your settings are as follows:

Misc Params: Gate Source = whatever CV input you are receiving the clock signal on.
Sequencer: Make sure Play Source is set to whatever input the clock signal is coming in on (as above).  Make sure Env Trig/Step is set to On.  Set Play Mode to Step.

As you hear the sequence playing, you should be able to hit any key and have the sequence transpose.  I just tested it with a square wave LFO from a euro rack module and it works without issue.  Of course, it's a good chance for me to work on timing that physical key press that so many of us have a problem with.
Sequential/Oberheim

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2016, 12:14:07 PM »
Does the sequencer step forward with each key press (when the seq isn't set to "reset") for anyone else?? I'm on 1.2.0.2. This makes the sequencer near useless in "free-running" mode (where no notes are assigned to track 1).

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2016, 04:51:12 AM »
clocking the sequencer from an external clock works fine, but I noticed is stops working after some time (a couple minutes, but sometimes only a couple seconds), without touching anything on the PRO 2 or the external clock signal, and there's absolutely no way to restart it (even by resetting the gate / play signal in params).

Gate source and seq play source set accordingly in misc params & seq params - I tried either external signal or one of the CV ins

The only way I found is to shut off / on the P2 to make it work again (changing presets and coming back isn't working).

Anyone else noticing this ?