Rev 2 or 12?

swid

Rev 2 or 12?
« on: November 06, 2023, 07:41:29 AM »
I’m hooked on/obsessed with Sequential right now, so I’m currently in the process of selling my Novation Summit to fund the purchase of either a Prophet 12 or a Prophet Rev 2. I’m curious what you guys recommend? The Prophet 12 seems like a better straight up replacement for the Summit, but I do already have a Virus TI2 Polar and Hydrasynth for digital sounds (plus a littany of plug-ins when I’m working ITB). The Summit just had some harshness in the high-mids I can’t connect with - otherwise I do really like it.

Re: Rev 2 or 12?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2023, 10:41:11 AM »
I’m hooked on/obsessed with Sequential right now, so I’m currently in the process of selling my Novation Summit to fund the purchase of either a Prophet 12 or a Prophet Rev 2. I’m curious what you guys recommend? The Prophet 12 seems like a better straight up replacement for the Summit, but I do already have a Virus TI2 Polar and Hydrasynth for digital sounds (plus a littany of plug-ins when I’m working ITB). The Summit just had some harshness in the high-mids I can’t connect with - otherwise I do really like it.

I've owned both...  ended up selling the P12, and keeping the Rev2-16.   The Rev 2 modulation sequencer (gated sequencer) is a real gem that the P12 doesn't have -- it allows vintage style voice modeling, plus really advanced motion patches.  When combining the bitimbral engine with 16 voices and the mod sequencer, it's an amazing instrument... super versatile and great sounding.   

Rev2-16v is a desert island synth for me.   Prophet 12 is no slouch though, and does have a lot to offer.

OB-X8, Pro 3, P6, Rev2, Take 5, 3rd Wave, Deepmind, PolyBrute, Sub 37
Sound Sets:
https://sounddesign.sellfy.store/
Free Patches:
https://www.PresetPatch.com/user/CreativeSpiral

chysn

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2023, 03:16:18 PM »
The mod sequencer is the killer app of the post-2008 DSI synths. Also, I'd lean toward something in current production.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

swid

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2023, 07:41:50 PM »

When combining the bitimbral engine with 16 voices and the mod sequencer, it's an amazing instrument... super versatile and great sounding.

I didn’t realize the Rev 2 was multitimbral - is that true of the 8 voice version as well? Can you do a split? One of the great things about the Summit is the ability to run, say, a lead patch and a pad at the same time.

swid

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2023, 07:57:53 PM »
Oh, also, I should add that I also have a Take 5 and a Pro-800 (am I going to get strung up for saying that here? the guy I bought it from loved it so much he bought a Rev 2, and given that I’m thinking of buying another Sequential it’s served to make more money for Sequential than it’s taken, so there is that, at least). Should I expect a lot of overlap with the Rev 2? I love the Pro-800 far more than I ever thought possible, it just sounds amazing. It obviously doesn’t have the flexibility of the Take 5 or other synths I have, but not unlike my Juno 106, it just has a tremendous sweet spot (not to mention my guitars/basses don’t do a ton of different sounds before they’re run through pedals, amps, and the like). I haven’t been able to make it sound bad yet.

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2023, 11:45:21 PM »

When combining the bitimbral engine with 16 voices and the mod sequencer, it's an amazing instrument... super versatile and great sounding.

I didn’t realize the Rev 2 was multitimbral - is that true of the 8 voice version as well? Can you do a split? One of the great things about the Summit is the ability to run, say, a lead patch and a pad at the same time.

Yeah, both versions of Rev 2 are bitimbral... for stacks or splits.    Definitely recommend the 16-voice, so you can get 2x8voice stacks.   

OB-X8, Pro 3, P6, Rev2, Take 5, 3rd Wave, Deepmind, PolyBrute, Sub 37
Sound Sets:
https://sounddesign.sellfy.store/
Free Patches:
https://www.PresetPatch.com/user/CreativeSpiral

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2023, 03:52:16 AM »
Oh, also, I should add that I also have a Take 5 and a Pro-800 (am I going to get strung up for saying that here? the guy I bought it from loved it so much he bought a Rev 2, and given that I’m thinking of buying another Sequential it’s served to make more money for Sequential than it’s taken, so there is that, at least). Should I expect a lot of overlap with the Rev 2? I love the Pro-800 far more than I ever thought possible, it just sounds amazing. It obviously doesn’t have the flexibility of the Take 5 or other synths I have, but not unlike my Juno 106, it just has a tremendous sweet spot (not to mention my guitars/basses don’t do a ton of different sounds before they’re run through pedals, amps, and the like). I haven’t been able to make it sound bad yet.

Just to add my tuppence worth.. the original review in Sound on Sound for the Prophet 08 (same sound engine as the Rev2) compared it to the Prophet 600 much more so than the Prophet 5.

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/dave-smith-instruments-prophet-08

Of course the Rev2 offers a lot of possibilities, but just something to bear in mind - there may be a fair amount of overlap between the Pro-800 and the Rev2 (I don't know for sure, never played on the Pro-800) - and maybe that's something you are after! If not, maybe the P12 may give you more variance. Like I say, just something to bear in mind perhaps.

swid

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2023, 06:17:17 PM »
I just sold the Summit and ordered a Rev 2 - I’m stoked to have an actual Prophet with a capital P in the ranks (and yeah, I know it’s no Prophet 5, and I do think I eventually want a Prophet 5) and I’m sure I’ll be posting about it soon!

swid

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2024, 10:30:08 AM »
In a crazy turn of events, I sold the Rev 2 and ordered. . .

. . .a Trigon 6! The desktop version.

I absolutely loved the Rev 2, but for a lot of what I do, it seemed like a more generic version of the Take 5. I think the Trigon 6 is going to sit really well in my collection, with its immediacy and aggression!

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2024, 10:50:41 AM »
In a crazy turn of events, I sold the Rev 2 and ordered. . .

. . .a Trigon 6! The desktop version.

I absolutely loved the Rev 2, but for a lot of what I do, it seemed like a more generic version of the Take 5. I think the Trigon 6 is going to sit really well in my collection, with its immediacy and aggression!

I hope you'll post about the Trigon once you've settled in with it. It's the synth I'm most intrigued by these days, but I've not caught one in the wild yet and I never get far with YT demos.