Clavia Nord Lead 2X
Clavia Nord Modular G2
Moog Little Phatty
Access Virus TI
Waldorf Blofeld
DSI Prophet 08

Re: Future Classics (post-2000)
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2017, 09:52:40 PM »
Polarized opinions have also been good starting points for classics.

On this point... anyone have any feedback about the Arturia Origin these days?  I know they had problems early on, and I know they're "just software", but I've heard a lot of really smashing demos (not all on Youtube), and I have them on my radar until I learn good reasons that I shouldn't.  Just the fact that they *sound* vintage, and are modular versions of classics even if they don't nail any one of those classics... all of that to me is appealing.  Just concerned about their longevity, and of course, that infamous Arturia "support".  :D

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2017, 06:40:49 AM »
On the question of which synthesizers will one day be considered classics, it seems that one requirement is distinctiveness of tone - an easily recognizable character.  In order for this to exist, it seems a fair amount of limitation is needed.  In other words, a synthesizer of vast capability will have a difficult time acquiring classic status, unless it's remembered specifically for that vastness.  But that means it probably won't have an easily recognizable voice.  Instead, it will be known for its range of possibilities - something desirable but not exactly memorable, unless a few items in that range are unique. 
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 06:57:14 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

megamarkd

• One day I will fund a vuvuzela marching band.
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2017, 11:25:27 PM »
Would it be fair to say that a classic instrument needs to be recognised outside of the musician's circle?  Take guitars for example, regular non-players (but often air-guitarists) recognise the sound of particular guitars that their favourite guitarists play.  I've had many non-musicians tell me which the greatest guitar of all time is, and it's always the one their favourite guitarist played.  The same can be said about many 20th century synths; DX7 is renown outside the synthesist world as well as within.
So with that in mind, which synths are the ones pop-artists have made de rigour over the last 17yrs?  microKorg jumps to my mind but not many others.  Maybe the Nord Lead....Korg and Nord do tend to stand out on a stage. (Props to Mr Kay for mentioning these two first).

« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2018, 04:58:33 PM »
As the thread says 'future classics' as opposed to what is a classic now, I have two synths in mind but for very different reasons...

Firstly: The Studiologic Sledge.
This is one of the most frustrating synths ever. It's yellow, the audio & MIDI ports are on the left rather than the rear, the importing of samples is antiquated and it's very unreliable too.
Take a look at the Facebook groups and you'll see there's nearly no owner without a problem with the synth initialising patches, forgetting settings and hanging MIDI notes.
BUT...
It sounds great and has a fantastic UI and for a synth of it's spec is VERY cheap too.
In some ways it's unreliability only helps to make it feel more like an analogue instrument rather than a digital one and like an old classic car you have to give it constant attention and nurture it to keep it running.
Due to it's quirks and design flaws it doesn't sell in anywhere near the volumes it otherwise would, so a decade from now I'm pretty sure it'll be relatively rare and a working one 'cherished' and given a 'classic' status! :)

Secondly: The Dave Smith Prophet 12.
It's just a beautiful synth and has something that all 'classics' have...character.
Not just for it's sound, but for its operation as an instrument too.
The DSP oscillators, combined with all of routing options in the mod matrix and the almost bizarre choice of 4 analogue delays for the fx, just gives the synth a vibe all of it's own and makes it greater than the sum of it's parts.

There's seems to be more analogue synths now and no doubt others on the way too, so in a decade's time I think the[size=78%] Prophet 12 will stand out from the crowd [/size]for all[size=78%] the right reasons. That said it has since it was introduced IMO - definitely a future classic! :)[/size]