Prophet 5 Ableton max4live editor help

Prophet 5 Ableton max4live editor help
« on: October 30, 2023, 12:47:52 PM »
Hi there,

I have this really useful m4l device https://maxforlive.com/library/device.php?id=7461#21385
I plan on using it with my Push controller to have more hands on intricate step programmed automation.
What I was also hoping was that I could have the plugin mirror the hardwares knob positions so that they can be saved with the max device and Ableton set, that way also being a handy way to store my sound settings with a project, similar to how Elektrons Overbridge can work.

The issue is currently the dials and settings on the max device only 'pick up' or update and display their mirrored values if you touch/adjust a knob on the hardware, or switch from PRESET mode to LIVE PANEL mode.
I'm assuming the hardware needs to 'ping' all the settings to the listening max device.

Does anyone know if there's a technique, command or message that the hardware might be able to do, to ping out all the patch settings, or can think of a way to make this work?

thank you.

Re: Prophet 5 Ableton max4live editor help
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2023, 02:07:44 PM »

The issue is currently the dials and settings on the max device only 'pick up' or update and display their mirrored values if you touch/adjust a knob on the hardware, or switch from PRESET mode to LIVE PANEL mode.

Oh so that M4L editor DOES update to show all current knob values when you switch from Preset to Panel mode? Interesting, as the SoundTower editor doesn't do that, rather it just seems to change to the panel knob postions from when i switched on the unit. Seems like a weird behavior. (Edit: nevermind, looks like that has changed w new ST update)

Anyway, more to your question, sorry I can't offer any suggestions for getting that to work the way you're envisioning it. Assuming you know the technique in Ableton for writing the patch numbers into clips so that the presets change when they play and are saved with your session. This is what i use, and i just have to save a new patch on the Prophet everytime i want it recalled.

Since that editor does at least update w panel values when you hit the switch, if i understood correctly, then at least that would allow you to possibly either A) save those values to one of the editor's 8 presets, which you could save with the session (I think) or at the very least B) screenshot the panel and file away into the project folder for later access. I don't know, to me it would seem easier to just save a new patch on the Prophet.

Not sure if i'm being helpful here, but i tried.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2023, 02:59:28 PM by johnsimmons »