Windows 10 and Soundtower Module editor issues

Windows 10 and Soundtower Module editor issues
« on: September 23, 2016, 02:34:06 AM »
I have been using this editor for my P12M without any issues for a couple of years now, so i updated to Windows 10 a month back and have had no problems until i go to use the Soundtower editor for the 1st time since upgrade.

Everything is set up the same as it was on W7 but the editor will not pass the data from my controller keyboard to the P12 at all.

I can see when i open the Virtual Keyboard in the editor that it is accepting key presses because it shows when i press a key down and if i use my mouse on the Virtual Keyboard it sends this to the P12 and makes a sound as expected

Tried running the editor in compatibilty mode (W7) and tried changing the master keyboard to another one but no luck.
My master keyboard also works fine in other standalone apps like Reaktor 6

Anyone experienced this at all?? I have contacted Soundtower support yesterday but i dont expect a reply this week and just wanted to see if anyone else has had this issue with the Module editor specifically
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 02:36:43 AM by BoBSwanS »

Re: Windows 10 and Soundtower Module editor issues
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 11:55:29 PM »
Turns out the issue was with Windows 10, it all works fine since i endured the latest update process. Didnt even get a response from Soundtower support.

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2016, 11:40:22 PM »
It would be nice if DSI would make their own editors and include for free like just about everyone else.

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 12:14:55 PM »
It would be, I completely agree as the current offerings leave something to be desired. However, this topic is not new, and most of you that have followed us for some time are familiar with the answer but I'll give it again here.

We're a small company with limited resources, and as such we have to choose how we spend our time very carefully. Dave is simply not interested in developing software for non-embedded systems; he likes designing synths. His take is, the hardware synths we design are meant to be played by musicians from the front panel. I realize the benefit of a software editor and personally I would use a great editor too, I'm just giving you some perspective.

Anyone that wants to develop an editor for our instruments is free to do so. We will give enough backend support to make their project successful if they put in the work, and they can keep 100% of the proceeds from their editor sales. This is of course not the answer you may have been looking for, but that's Dave's stance on the subject and I can't foresee it changing anytime soon.
SEQUENTIAL | OBERHEIM

dslsynth

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2016, 12:29:47 PM »
ProTip: Make better sysex specifications. Or at least publish the parts of the OS code that defines the program vector contents, controller lists and the enum types used in the set of parameters for each of the modern DSI instruments so that others can make such documentation.

Also be sure to document all aspects of the sysex format including the concept of multiple incompatible versions. The latter feature only saw the daylight because Razmo asked the right questions on a forum somewhere out there for the Prophet-12.

A tool to help making such documentation does exist. But of cause that requires the complete requested information readily available. While the OS developer have been very helpful the returned data have unfortunately been partial. Plus I am maybe not the best person to keep pushing very busy people for more information.

So I wonder if someone at DSI could be assigned as a project leader to make sure the complete information could be made available for each version of each products sysex format? That would be perfect for serious progress on the editor front.

Thanks in advance!
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2016, 07:24:49 AM »
It takes a lot to make an plugin or editor.

1. First, to provide a good quality plugin, you would need to procure several major DAWs for Windows/Mac to validate the code since not all DAW handle plugins the same, and I speak based on personal experience. Some DAW only support VST2 and not VST3 and VST2 is not officially supported by Steinberg anymore, VST3 is the way to go, but has major MIDI limitations that VST2 does not have The there are  32 and 64 bit version, so a lot of time goes into testing

2, Buy Windows/OSX software licenses.

3. LEarn the development tools and how to code a plugin/editor

4. Cost of the synth itself

5. The development platform, some VST development platforms ask US $1000 for their tookit / license if you sell the product. if it is developed with their free toolkit, you can charge but the source code should be released (something not seen much on Win/Mac platforms). License terms vary per toolkit. Sure, some people sell plugins developed using these toolkits, but perhaps not meeting the license term, which is not politically correct, but because it does not eat into a lot of the /income from toolkit providers and legally problematic to go after the pundits, it's been tolerated.

6. The price of the plugin should be low to get some sales  for those limited number of people who will use an editor.

No wonder, not many folks are interested in this bussines, there is little gain to develop editors, unless you do it for fun.
DSI could outsource it, but that may not be cheap as well.

BTW: DSI provides excellent support for questions and quality documentation even there are some mistakes and missing details. Just check recent MIDI documentation from other manufacturers and you will know why: Many manufactures (Roland/Nord/Moog)documentation are far much worse, don't document at all or even omit Sysex implementations nowadays, few even use NRPN. and  this is getting worse with every new product as manufacturers deviate from the open available MIDI standards for patch loading/saving etc...  Just look at the Roland System 8. One of the main reasons I bought DSI stuff is of it's consistent MIDI implementation. Most other manufacturers should take DSI as an example how things are done right, MIDI wise.

I would be happy to make an editor if sponsered by an OB6 and P6 desktop :-) even knowing that people won't donate a penny if it's for free even they just bought a $2000 synth.. But, in the end I think I will end up looking into my pockets for some $ to get these instruments. without a physical unit it's hard to make sure to provide quality software. P.S: I am not affiliated with DSI directly or indirectly.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 07:47:42 AM by musicmaker »

AlanC

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2016, 11:03:53 AM »
Anyone that wants to develop an editor for our instruments is free to do so. We will give enough backend support to make their project successful if they put in the work.

This is nice to know. I'd been considering doing some editors for iOS and Mac OS, but wasn't sure if I'd be treading on someone else's territory (as it were).