Filter cutoff issue

Filter cutoff issue
« on: September 20, 2016, 05:26:53 PM »
I am having a problem with the filter cutoff whereas when I stop moving the dedicated frequency cutoff knob the cutoff continues to creep digitally at a slow rate. It seems that this knob is still sending signals that the frequency is changing very gradually even when I am nit touching it. If I wiggle the knives for a bit, sometimes it will stop but it seems like it is getting worse. Is there a calibration function for this knob it is this a hardware issue?  If hardware issue, what are options to get this fixed?

Steven Morris

• Steven Morris Music & Sound
    • Steven Morris Music & Sound
Re: Filter cutoff issue
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 02:54:52 AM »
I am having a problem with the filter cutoff whereas when I stop moving the dedicated frequency cutoff knob the cutoff continues to creep digitally at a slow rate. It seems that this knob is still sending signals that the frequency is changing very gradually even when I am nit touching it. If I wiggle the knives for a bit, sometimes it will stop but it seems like it is getting worse. Is there a calibration function for this knob it is this a hardware issue?  If hardware issue, what are options to get this fixed?

Hi Doctor Frequency,

First, I recommend calibrating everything. The instructions for calibration can be found at the end of the "Tempest Tutorials: Updating Your OS" by Dave Smith Instruments on YouTube. Sometimes a few calibrations are necessary to get these kinds of things taken care of.
Link (w/ timestamp): https://youtu.be/xVc6WJ18ZA8?t=4m55s

After trying that, I would send an email regarding this issue to DSI Support. Audio or video examples will definitely help.

I hope that helps!

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2018, 05:45:22 AM »
hello, how did u resolve this issue?

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2018, 01:04:23 PM »
I am having the same exact issue and just hopped on this forum to ask about it. Will report back if the calibrations fix this problem. In the meantime I've resulted to using the FX slider to adjust the filter cutoff, and that seems to work fine but I really hope I can get the knob to work properly!

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2018, 01:51:04 PM »
This may suggests a hardware issue with T’s potentiometer..Contact with the guys in support they’re very helpful and let us know what happened..

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2018, 10:59:51 PM »
This happened to me a while back, gradually got worse over time.

Contacted DSI and they sent me a replacement pot really quickly (I’m in the UK).

I guess the filter cutoff is one of the most used pots and wore out first..

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2018, 02:28:20 AM »
This is also happening to me. And only with the lowpass filter knob. Did it work with the calibration? Did you fix it by replacing the potentiometer?

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2018, 09:18:27 AM »
Having this same issue after the unit was repaired for a seperate fault.
doing my head in, hoping for an update from OP.

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2018, 02:36:47 AM »
I have now been in contact with tech support and they have shipped me some new potentiometers. Some time this week I will try to replace them and get back to you :)

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2018, 02:45:55 AM »
Hi! I think I've experienced the same kind of thing earlier. Here's the link to a topic I started a couple of days ago: https://forum.davesmithinstruments.com/index.php/topic,2850.0.html
The LEVEL pot was messing with me changing values by itself, so I contacted DSI support and they helped me fix the problem. I suppose these are issues of the same nature.

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2018, 12:29:42 PM »
So - found the time to replace the potentiometer, that support shipped to me! And it works! So glad to see the values stopped changing all the time!  :D

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2018, 01:12:30 PM »
Nice to hear that..I’ll order one at some point to fresh up my filter pot!
So - found the time to replace the potentiometer, that support shipped to me! And it works! So glad to see the values stopped changing all the time!  :D