EVS-1 inspired idea for OB-X8

EVS-1 inspired idea for OB-X8
« on: October 23, 2023, 04:31:56 PM »
The OB-6 was my first synth so naturally I’m a huge fan of Oberheim. The poly mod affecting the SEM notch filter was one of the most magical sounds I’d ever heard and inspired an obsession with synthesis my finances might never recover from. I’ve been contemplating the OB-X8 since it was first announced but my biggest hold out is the modulation possibilities.

Unfortunately, I have an idea that couldn’t be implemented in full effect on the rev1 OB-X8 due to the limitations of the 1 global LFO. However, perhaps on a theoretical blue pinstripe or cream rev2 OB-X8 with an LFO per voice there could be some sort of “Scene” mode that allows for the incredibly detailed workflow of the vintage EVS-1. Scenes basically being stored combinations of presets or individual sounds assigned to each of OB’s 8 voices, utilizing the 8 preset buttons to select which of the 8 voices within the scene is being affected by the front panel controls. There could also be some sort of copy/paste method within the menu of assigning existing presets to the different voices within a scene for quick assembly of complex sound arrangements. This would also circumvent the tedious realities of making a cohesive sound on the EVS-1 by copy/pasting the same sound to all 8 voices then only adjusting parameters that achieve desired effects/differences rather than having to set up the same patch identically 8 times.

Just an idea but to me this seems like this cheapest way to round out the Oberheim legacy addressed in the OB-X8 and make the synth an absolute must-have powerhouse, as I imagine a FVS/EVS reissue would get stupid pricey. That being said I’m all for that too haha!