P6 Filter vs. Zen Delay Pedal Filter

P6 Filter vs. Zen Delay Pedal Filter
« on: October 06, 2023, 06:04:38 AM »
Hi folks -

Like many I've had a hell of a time choosing between the OB6 and P6. I've got desktop versions en route for a little A/B 30-day trial.

I'm very drawn to both based on the YT demos and can see how they cover a lot of the same ground. Most commentary on where they diverge seems to chalk up to the filter.

Here's my question...I own a Erica Synths Zen Delay pedal with a multimode 24db HP/LP/BP filter. I'm going to guess it's not in the same league and not as smooth as the P6, but it is similarly spec'd and I was curious if anyone has experience with both units and could shed any light on their respective sound?

My general thinking is that combining the OB6 with the Zen might give me the best of both worlds and narrow the gap even further as I'd be able to apply that 24db filter when the OB6 needs to be more "tamed." This seems to be the universal critique on the OB6. 

Curious to get any input from you all. Thanks in advance!

LPF83

Re: P6 Filter vs. Zen Delay Pedal Filter
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2023, 07:15:19 AM »
Hi folks -

Like many I've had a hell of a time choosing between the OB6 and P6. I've got desktop versions en route for a little A/B 30-day trial.

I'm very drawn to both based on the YT demos and can see how they cover a lot of the same ground. Most commentary on where they diverge seems to chalk up to the filter.

Here's my question...I own a Erica Synths Zen Delay pedal with a multimode 24db HP/LP/BP filter. I'm going to guess it's not in the same league and not as smooth as the P6, but it is similarly spec'd and I was curious if anyone has experience with both units and could shed any light on their respective sound?

My general thinking is that combining the OB6 with the Zen might give me the best of both worlds and narrow the gap even further as I'd be able to apply that 24db filter when the OB6 needs to be more "tamed." This seems to be the universal critique on the OB6. 

Curious to get any input from you all. Thanks in advance!

I'm not familiar with the delay unit in question so I'm not sure how filtering is applied to the dry vs wet signal, etc.... but I will generally say that applying a filter at the end of the signal path on any synth is going to give a very different result than the per-voice filtering that occurs on a voice card.  That's not to say you wouldn't be happy at the results, it's just that it is it's own thing.

I love my OB-6 but it is much less versatile than its bigger brother the OB-X8.  The Prophet 6 is not the same as a P5/10, but in itself much more versatile than the OB-6 (and for my needs owning both was the only valid solution) :)

At the end of it all I'd say if you want a 2 pole filter get the OB-6, if you want 4 pole get the Prophet.  With what I've written above, some might have expected me to say just get the OB-X8 so you can have both.... and while I do recommend the OB-X8 it's not for that reason, because I don't think the 4 pole filter on the OB-X8 is a replacement for the one on the P6.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2023, 07:48:41 AM »
I've have used a Vermona Lancet external filter with OB6 before.  Its mono, with several modes and lfo.  Sometimes I like to filter just one output channel in a different way, hence why I would add this in.  Usually though,  when I'm using the OB6 its exactly the sound I'm go for.  It can be pretty creamy for pads and such when the filter is mostly closed.  I'm not familiar with the P6 enough to comment on the comparativeness.    But like Lpf83, mentioned, if you do filter the OB6 additionally, may want to do this before effects otherwise it muddies it up.   
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2023, 08:21:32 AM »
There's far more than just the filter differences. The oscillators, filters, and the envelopes are different, as well as there being more modulation in the X-Mod compared to the Poly Mod.

You gotta remember, most analog synths can produce the same sounds that are indistinguishable for the most part. But when you approach the P-6 and the OB-6 for their own distinct character, you'll clearly hear the differences and see where one can go where the other can't, and also more importantly how one compliments the other, more than you would imagine.

That's been my experience with both the OB-6, and the P-6 for the past 3+ years of having these two keyboards stacked alongside me on a K&M Spider Pro. Yeah thats how crazy I am about these two synths to spend $440 on a double tier keyboard stand at the time. But I only wanted the best for the best. These are clearly 2 modern classics with their own blend of modern and classic tone. Keepers to the end.

I've tried a few decent ($300-400) effects. Always went back to the internal effects. No need to drown my tone. Less is more, and savable with the preset. As for the Zen Delay Pedal, I never tried one. But hopefully the person who responded above had given you enough insight as to whether it's worth trying. Everyone's tastes are different. There's no right or wrong way to sculpt your sound until you know what ultimately works in any particular situation.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2023, 08:23:27 AM by Rich303 »