When recording midi in Live the Arpeggiator starts playing ...

When recording midi in Live the Arpeggiator starts playing ...
« on: September 18, 2016, 05:55:20 AM »
When I want to record midi in Live or play when Lives sequencer is running the Arpeggiator of the P 8 starts running. How can I avoid this?

Edit: The Arpeggiator always play a very low note.

Edit 2: I switched sync on in my midi interface in ableton live otherwise the P 8 dont sync to live. This behaviour is gone when switching sync of. It seems that Live triggers the Arpeggiator. Also all voices flash on the P 8.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 06:48:01 AM by Novaliz »

Re: When recording midi in Live the Arpeggiator starts playing ...
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 06:58:50 AM »
Moinmoin,

best way to detect or investigate "MIDI problems" is to log what gets into the device showing these problems. If that is not possible, log the the other device's (in Your case: Ableton) output.
You will definitely see a sort of "init sequence", that is sent from Ableton to P'08 and causes the behaviour You described. Look for MIDI real time message (e.g. start: 250) or an NRPN (100 or 300) that starts the arpeggiator, maybe there is even more.
Although I do know nothing about Albleton, I cannot imagine that it won't allow You to switch off the related feature(s).

HTH

Martin

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 08:03:08 AM »
Live sends a song position and start message when you press play and then a series of clock messages. I son't see why this would start the arp going though.

Make sure you have "remote" set off for the midi port, also make sure you have no control surfaces setup that are using that midi port by mistake.

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 04:42:47 AM »
Moinmoin,

every remote analysis is to be taken with care. This said and with Bob's information I assume, that the P'08 Arpeggiator is active (is it lit in layer A or B?), which causes Ableton's MIDI start message to start it and make it run at ableton's clock speed.
As Ableton doesn't send any other information, especially no MIDI note number, this could also explain the Arpeggiator playing a "very low note" (C0?), as stated in the first post.

If P'08 Arpeggiator is not needed in the recording process, switch it off (of course ;)).

If MIDI sync (start/stop/continue/clock) is not needed in the recording process, disable it with the same obviousness! It is always good advice to transmit MIDI intentionally instead of using default presets and to restrict used messages to the necessary minimum.

If MIDI sync and Arpeggiator are needed in the recording process, care for transmitting MIDI sync messages resp. switching on of Arpeggiator deliberately and in time, not initially or implicitly.

Martin