Polybrute vs Prophet 5 Rev4

Polybrute vs Prophet 5 Rev4
« on: September 09, 2023, 05:42:58 PM »
Was wondering if anyone who has  both a polybrute and a prophet5 rev4 could give thier opinion  comparing and contrasting both. I read the specs on the polybrute . Its price point is less as well as having a different feature set. The prophet 5rev4 is considerably more. The polybrute has 6 voices and is in stereo. Maybe the prophet 6 would be a closer comparison. I’ve read things about the A polybrutes build quality. Just haven’t had any experience with the company or thier products.
Thanks

Re: Polybrute vs Prophet 5 Rev4
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2023, 01:42:13 AM »
I don't have the Polybrute, but obviously it can do A LOT more modulations and programings than the rev4.
However, although I love Arturia, personally I've never been impressed by any sound of the Polybrute, whereas rev4 has got one of the best "raw" sound and a tons of sweetspots.
They are 2 very different beasts, so it's up to you, depending on your needs.
Rev4 is great for vintage/classical sounds, whereas PB is better for complex and modern sounds.

Elric

• Peak Oil
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2023, 06:56:45 PM »
PolyBrute firmware 3.0 is pretty awesome...
There are 3 or 4 great demos of this...

Where is the Pro3 version 2.0 firmware?
:Elric:
Kurzweil K, Pro3, TX81z, K1r, Triton w/MOSS, Wavestation EX in a bag in the corner.

the8bitdeity

• Ham handed synth enthusiast
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2023, 04:34:04 PM »
I have both, and it's apples and oranges. Prophet 5 (10 for me) is all about the raw tone of the synth. It just immediately has tone for days that's amazing and it does what you expect.

Polybrute on the other hand is a very different timbre of synth, with EXTENSIVE mod matrix and the patch morphing feature.

Polybrute has more features on paper, but with comparable patches (this being key) I prefer the tone of the P5 consistently above the PB. 
Kijimi, Xerxes mk2, OB6D, P6D, Prophet 5D (expanded), OB-X8D, Hydrasynth, Pro 3, Wavestate, MS20D, A4mk2, ARmk2, MC202, Avalon, Syntakt, Octatrack, NLDR, H9000, Digitone, Deckard's Dream mk2, Isi-Nin, Roland System 500 + other Eurorack

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2023, 07:06:27 PM »
I have both, and it's apples and oranges. Prophet 5 (10 for me) is all about the raw tone of the synth. It just immediately has tone for days that's amazing and it does what you expect.

Polybrute on the other hand is a very different timbre of synth, with EXTENSIVE mod matrix and the patch morphing feature.

Polybrute has more features on paper, but with comparable patches (this being key) I prefer the tone of the P5 consistently above the PB.

Curious to hear this! I'm a lifelong P5 fiend, and there's never a question that it sounds simply fab, always right on. I was surprised, though, when I messed about with the Polybrute at JustMusic...it jumped out at me immediately. I kinda know enough to be wary of first impressions in a music shop, cos there will always be various variables - cheap headphones or a patch panel that's not simple to understand in a quick glance - but as I flipped from patch to patch and made my way spinning a few knobs (sliding sliders?), I liked the sound and vibe. I'd never been taken with other Arturia gear. I've posted elsewhere in the forum about which synth I might trade for which... I'm out of money and out of space, so something will have to go if something new comes in. I adore my Prophet 6, but it lives a little in the shadow of the Prophet 5. When I wonder what other synths might make for a satisfying contrast, the Polybrute does pop to mind...

the8bitdeity

• Ham handed synth enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2023, 08:02:23 AM »
I have the p6 as well, and it sounds very "hi fi". I like it for certain sounds, but the P6 sounds like it has infinite headroom before the filter.

Polybrute however has a unique timbre between the SP filter (which is slightly tamed from the Microbrute 1) as well as some of the waveshaping stuff. Capable of very complex timbres. The latest update gives it a bit of roar which is nice.
Kijimi, Xerxes mk2, OB6D, P6D, Prophet 5D (expanded), OB-X8D, Hydrasynth, Pro 3, Wavestate, MS20D, A4mk2, ARmk2, MC202, Avalon, Syntakt, Octatrack, NLDR, H9000, Digitone, Deckard's Dream mk2, Isi-Nin, Roland System 500 + other Eurorack