Alternative to Soundtower?

Alternative to Soundtower?
« on: September 09, 2023, 09:51:57 AM »
The folks there seem real nice, but the quality of the SEPlug-in for OBX8 is worthy of a full refund. This is, IMHO pretty terrible.

Are there any suggestions for librarian editors, even stand alone? One of my primary uses of the editor is to make naming presets I create easier. I dislike the necessary dual scroller character selector. :-)

It would be nice if it were a plug-in, but that's not even that important to me.

Also, please don't recommend MIDI Quest. Yikes. I tried, even paid for numerous upgrades, but this is also some pretty poorly designed software.

Thanks!
Computer music nerd. I love analog and digital music tools, instruments. I'm listening mostly to electronic music.

g3o2

Re: Alternative to Soundtower?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2023, 03:44:44 AM »
Naming is the crowning act of creation, so why not actually take your time for this grand finale ? ;-) On Prophet 5/10 or any of the 6 series synths, on-device naming is sadly impossible. All you have there is a 3-digit number …

This said, I’d like to get my hands on a simple librarian, too, albeit mainly for swapping slots. Unfortunately, the payment methods offered on Soundtower’s website require paypal even for credit card payment.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2023, 03:49:53 AM by g3o2 »

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2023, 11:16:07 AM »
Yeah, for me, naming on OBX8 and Rev2 are pretty helpful. But, I also would like to organize and back up the presets I develop.

I'm hoping that Novation has some impact on how this is handled in the future. I can't think of any company doing this better than Novation at the moment.

A) it is free
B) its all web-based, so updates are server side and require no downloads
C) it's real-time, and very easy to back up any sound you make. Reordering, naming, trivial.
D) all sounds stored in the cloud, for free.
E) For the Peak synth, the website contains a large collection of presets developed by musicians and sound designers, curated by Novation and available for immediate transfer to the synth. Literally takes a split second to take a sound from the website and send it to Peak.
F) Firmware updates are almost instant. It detects which version of the firmware you have, then encourages you to install the latest firmware. The firmware install speed is really impressive. Takes < 1 minute to get up to date.

I hope Sequential/Oberheim gain access to this magical experience.
Computer music nerd. I love analog and digital music tools, instruments. I'm listening mostly to electronic music.

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2023, 07:34:17 PM »
The folks there seem real nice, but the quality of the SEPlug-in for OBX8 is worthy of a full refund. This is, IMHO pretty terrible.

Are there any suggestions for librarian editors, even stand alone? One of my primary uses of the editor is to make naming presets I create easier. I dislike the necessary dual scroller character selector. :-)

It would be nice if it were a plug-in, but that's not even that important to me.

Also, please don't recommend MIDI Quest. Yikes. I tried, even paid for numerous upgrades, but this is also some pretty poorly designed software.

Thanks!

What OS are you running?