Pro-3 and Pro-3SE general reliability (About to make a purchasing decision)

:D hey all - I own many DSI instruments and I appreciate they have their little quirks and nuances from time to time, but I'm looking into the P3 and P3SE - and reading the forum I can't help but see post after post of fundamental issues.

Noise, clicks pops, motherboard issues, and I even trialled a P3 here in New Zealand locally - it sounded wonderful, but 5m in, it started to distort.

None of my other DSI stuff has issues, and I'm starting get to get the feeling this particular product seems to be more plagued with issue that all the rest combined.

Given the product has been release 2-3 years now, I'd like to think the bugs have been ironed out, my P2 and P12 and pretty rock solid - I wondered if anyone had views that only the negatives are posted here online, and there are a lot of satisfied non posting customers out there, or maybe there are ongoing issues with this specific product and the community tolerates it due the the complexity and amazing sound.

Any views ? in 2023 are they reliable ? should I pull the trigger ? esp the P3-SE???

thx
« Last Edit: August 28, 2023, 11:14:23 PM by Wairarapa »

It's a complicated machine. Like with other complicated machines, there can be problems with some batches and even some random pieces. Unfortunately in this case, probably no one but the manufacturer has good enough data to respond to your concerns.

FWIW, I received a second Pro 3 today from Sweetwater and it works fine.

The problem LE I got from the other vendor was their last one, so who knows how long it had been sitting around their warehouse...and I went against my better judgement about ordering "The Last One".  My thinking is that any time you order the last of anything,  there will be nothing there to replace it if it is defective (which is what happened here).

I also really wanted the Standard Edition, but went with the LE because that's all they had left.  Again, I should have just said no thanks, I'll get one from a place that has more in stock.  Which I ended up doing in the end anyways.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2023, 01:55:44 PM by Hanoveur »

gus

I'll chime in here. If you haven't seen the note below on our service program, we did have to recall a range of SN's for the P3/P3SE. This extended to dealers, so most global stock has been fixed + replaced. If you happen to get a unit in this range, just reach out and we can get you sorted whether it's new or used. All of the mentioned issues (noise/pops/onset distortion) are part of a hardware issue with this range. Apart from this, it's a solid synth!

https://support.sequential.com/hc/en-gb/articles/12215986445714-Pro-3-Service-Program-Crackling-Outputs
Sequential | Oberheim

Thanks super helpful thanks for taking the time to respond - looks like only a small number of units fall into those batch numbers - where as the amount of noise on this forum and facebook is quite considerable.

I'll chime in here. If you haven't seen the note below on our service program, we did have to recall a range of SN's for the P3/P3SE. This extended to dealers, so most global stock has been fixed + replaced. If you happen to get a unit in this range, just reach out and we can get you sorted whether it's new or used. All of the mentioned issues (noise/pops/onset distortion) are part of a hardware issue with this range. Apart from this, it's a solid synth!

https://support.sequential.com/hc/en-gb/articles/12215986445714-Pro-3-Service-Program-Crackling-Outputs

Re: Pro-3 and Pro-3SE general reliability (About to make a purchasing decision)
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2023, 08:42:45 AM »
Thanks super helpful thanks for taking the time to respond - looks like only a small number of units fall into those batch numbers - where as the amount of noise on this forum and facebook is quite considerable.

It's almost 150 units based on serial numbers. So let's say every third person writes about it on forums, that's up to 50 people if all units were sold. I see a logic in those numbers, don't you?

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2023, 02:35:58 PM »
I spoke too soon. The static came back, it just took a little longer this time (a couple of hours of use).  The volume cuts in and out. Fails to calibrate after the static comes back.  Completely unusable.  I'm sending this one back and forgetting the entire thing. Out of 10 synths, this is the first time I've had problems.  Not only that, but with TWO CONSECUTIVE UNITS. This thing is too big to keep needing to box it up, tape it up and shipping it back out.  My first one was from Vintage King (LE) and the second one was from Sweetwater (SE). For such a "small number of units" I was hit twice from two different vendors. This is the worst experience Ive ever had.

It's almost 150 units based on serial numbers. So let's say every third person writes about it on forums, that's up to 50 people if all units were sold. I see a logic in those numbers, don't you?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2023, 02:37:48 PM by Hanoveur »

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2023, 04:21:25 PM »
I spoke too soon. The static came back, it just took a little longer this time (a couple of hours of use).  The volume cuts in and out. Fails to calibrate after the static comes back.  Completely unusable.  I'm sending this one back and forgetting the entire thing. Out of 10 synths, this is the first time I've had problems.  Not only that, but with TWO CONSECUTIVE UNITS. This thing is too big to keep needing to box it up, tape it up and shipping it back out.  My first one was from Vintage King (LE) and the second one was from Sweetwater (SE). For such a "small number of units" I was hit twice from two different vendors. This is the worst experience Ive ever had.

Did you notify Sequential of the serial numbers?

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2023, 05:56:26 PM »
Yes, 02713) but its labor day weekend. So I doubt I will hear from them until Tuesday.

https://soundcloud.com/dan-benge/pro-3-crackles-and-pops
https://soundcloud.com/dan-benge/pro-3-making-this-wonderful-sound

Two examples of what I'm hearing now.   

Buyer Beware

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2023, 10:19:30 PM »
Yes, 02713) but its labor day weekend. So I doubt I will hear from them until Tuesday.

https://soundcloud.com/dan-benge/pro-3-crackles-and-pops
https://soundcloud.com/dan-benge/pro-3-making-this-wonderful-sound

Two examples of what I'm hearing now.   

Buyer Beware

It’s unfortunate but if you contact Sequential directly and are patient then they might be able to get a replacement for you.

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2023, 10:01:13 PM »
My serial number is 1694 (just out of the listed range) and I have the crackling issue on my Pro 3 LE. Quite a pain in the butt... even how long it took to find this thread.

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2023, 08:22:22 PM »
I just took delivery of a P3-SE in the 18xx serial number range, no problems so far....

Elric

• Peak Oil
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2023, 09:13:39 AM »
I just took delivery of a P3-SE in the 18xx serial number range, no problems so far....

I'd still buy a Pro3. Only 1 of 200/1000 are bad?
And holy crap does this thing sound awesome!!

(and... crap,  this is a bad, muted, room recording..)
Grr. - Can't even figure out my old audio path!!

=====

...Second [old, direct] file attached to make up for that poor quality audio.
[EarthsCore v37 with 2 Pro3 tracks running]
« Last Edit: September 26, 2023, 10:39:27 AM by Elric »
:Elric:
Kurzweil K, Pro3, TX81z, K1r, Triton w/MOSS, Wavestation EX in a bag in the corner.

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2023, 08:59:46 PM »
My serial number is 1694 (just out of the listed range) and I have the crackling issue on my Pro 3 LE. Quite a pain in the butt... even how long it took to find this thread.

I shipped the second failed (I got two duds in a row) unit I bought to Sequential for repair.  I wish they weren’t all the way on the other side of the continent.