Blue Stripe Overlay - Any Tips to Safely Remove Knobs?

Blue Stripe Overlay - Any Tips to Safely Remove Knobs?
« on: August 27, 2023, 08:20:45 AM »
I just ordered the blue stripe overlay from “Synth Overlay.” Looks like fun, as I’ve always loved the blue stripe look and I’m also looking forward to having some page 2 info by some of the knobs.

There is no adhesive, one takes the knobs off, sets the overlay in place, and then reinstalls the knobs. Does anyone have any tips on how to take the knobs off and put them on without damaging them or loosening them?
Prophet 10 Rev4, OB-X8, Moog One, Rhodes Mk8, Osmose, OB-6 desktop, Trigon 6 Desktop, Kawai VPC-1, Steinway D

gus

Re: Blue Stripe Overlay - Any Tips to Safely Remove Knobs?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2023, 03:45:01 PM »
Cool! To remove knobs on the X8, just pull up with a moderate amount of force and they will slide off. It would be pretty hard to damage or loosen the knobs - the pots themselves are bolted to the metalwork.
Sequential | Oberheim

g3o2

Re: Blue Stripe Overlay - Any Tips to Safely Remove Knobs?
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2023, 03:53:05 AM »
I’m curious to know how useful the page 2 shortcuts and the overlay for this purpose are. Does anyone use those shortcuts systematically?

I love the OB-X8’s color choice, so I will definitely not invest in a blue-striped overlay. However, I’m a fiend for hardware shortcuts (vs scrolling) and just knowing them would be great, so I can pick the ones that I find useful. The manual is unfortunately silent in this regard and maybe there is a practical reason for this. Of course, they can be easily reverse-“engineered”  and maybe I’ll do that :-)