Patch Change Send

Patch Change Send
« on: August 17, 2023, 10:53:09 AM »
I'm trying to use my OB-6 with a Boss harmonizer. Love playing the MIDI chords and having a choir of me singing them! The problem is, when I change the patch on my OB-6, it changes the patch on the Boss. The Boss doesn't have the ability to ignore those messages, and I can't seem to stop the OB-6 from sending them. Unless I'm missing something.

Is there a way to stop those messages?
OB-6 | Subsequent-37 | Rhodes MkII | TR-8S | MF-104

Re: Patch Change Send
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2023, 12:18:54 PM »
I'm trying to use my OB-6 with a Boss harmonizer. Love playing the MIDI chords and having a choir of me singing them! The problem is, when I change the patch on my OB-6, it changes the patch on the Boss. The Boss doesn't have the ability to ignore those messages, and I can't seem to stop the OB-6 from sending them. Unless I'm missing something.

Is there a way to stop those messages?

I’ll be honest and say I have no clue (I don’t think you can) but you could always as a workaround turn off the midi transmission before changing a patch and then turn it on again. Or unplug the midi cable whilst changing! Not great but should work.

I have no idea about the Boss hamoniser, but are you using midi from the synth for other things? What I’m getting is is there a need to have it plugged up via midi? Are you clock syncing? If you’re only clock synching I believe you can set midi clock to out on the synth but parameters transmit to off - that may work

chysn

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2023, 01:14:50 PM »
If you have any kind of DIY experience, it would be trivial to build a MIDI kill switch. If you're not, they're not very expensive:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1083182425/midi-kill-switch-foot-switch-edition?gpla=1
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2023, 01:29:22 PM »
I need to send MIDI note data and Clock. That way the effects are all in sync, and the MIDI nots is what tell the VE-500

I’ll be honest and say I have no clue (I don’t think you can) but you could always as a workaround turn off the midi transmission before changing a patch and then turn it on again. Or unplug the midi cable whilst changing! Not great but should work.

I have no idea about the Boss hamoniser, but are you using midi from the synth for other things? What I’m getting is is there a need to have it plugged up via midi? Are you clock syncing? If you’re only clock synching I believe you can set midi clock to out on the synth but parameters transmit to off - that may work

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2023, 01:31:40 PM »
That is an interesting solution. I wish I could make a DIY Program Change filter, I suppose I could with a RaspberryPi! I would prefer just to change patches at will without a secondary action.

If you have any kind of DIY experience, it would be trivial to build a MIDI kill switch. If you're not, they're not very expensive:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1083182425/midi-kill-switch-foot-switch-edition?gpla=1

kpatz

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2023, 03:27:35 PM »
A MIDI Solutions Event Processor can do it.  You can program it to pass or filter out any messages you like.  In your case, you’d filter Bank and Program Change messages.

If you’re routing through a computer I think most DAWs have midi filtering capability too.

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2023, 03:41:23 PM »
That would definitely work. But I really don't want to have to drag a computer on stage just to filter out MIDI program change messages! I know, I'm so old fashioned! I also could use a small MIDI interface like a MOTU Express, but again feel a bit heavy handed for a simple thing.

A MIDI Solutions Event Processor can do it.  You can program it to pass or filter out any messages you like.  In your case, you’d filter Bank and Program Change messages.

If you’re routing through a computer I think most DAWs have midi filtering capability too.

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2023, 03:20:15 AM »
What’s the harmoniser actually doing when you change patch on the synth? Is it changing preset? If so maybe just change the preset on the harmoniser  whenever you change patch on the synth.

For live work, maybe align the presets on the harmoniser to patches on the synth, then you can control things just from the synth

kpatz

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2023, 05:18:31 AM »
That would definitely work. But I really don't want to have to drag a computer on stage just to filter out MIDI program change messages! I know, I'm so old fashioned! I also could use a small MIDI interface like a MOTU Express, but again feel a bit heavy handed for a simple thing.
The Event Processor only needs a computer to program it initially.  Once set up it works standalone.  It’s just a small box, midi powered, you connect in between your two devices.  Program it to filter bank and program changes, send the program to the processor, plug it in between your OB-6 and Harmonizer, and go.

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2023, 12:39:40 PM »
OK Kpatz, I'm picking up what you are laying down. I can't get the software to run on a current M2 Mac or Intel Pro, so I'm going to try an old Mac or a windoze tablet that is laying around here. I only need to program that guy once!

The Event Processor only needs a computer to program it initially.  Once set up it works standalone.  It’s just a small box, midi powered, you connect in between your two devices.  Program it to filter bank and program changes, send the program to the processor, plug it in between your OB-6 and Harmonizer, and go.