Loose Knobs Rev2 Desktop

Loose Knobs Rev2 Desktop
« on: August 07, 2023, 09:01:52 AM »
It's 2023. I state the obvious, as I did a search, and I noticed this issues been around, at least since 2017.

Just picked up a Rev2 Desktop.

Guess what, 40-50% of the knobs were loose, 5 were "off the charts" loose. Even the sales folk were surprised when I returned it. Anyway, took it back, swapped it for a new one. The sales rep checked the knobs before swapping to be sure, both units.

Less than 2 weeks in with the second unit, and the frequency knob is starting to go loose, as in "this should not be happening on an expensive American synth" kind of loose. Just a matter of time before the others play up, and a couple have.

Torn. At this rate, I have little choice but to take it back, swapping it for something else. I have two other flagship poly synths with rock solid knobs.

That said, the rest of the unit is well built, with a wonderful architecture & a tone like no other, truly magical.
However, if you like to twist & dial your knobs, are a dynamic performer, this might be a turn off for you.

A big part of the DSI appeal is the "one knob per function" philosophy, effectively no menu diving, easy access to play the whole instrument; this is certainly true with the Rev 2, it's wonderful, though if one develops a fear of using the pots due to their flimsy or deteriorating wobbly nature, then it matters little.

DSI if you are reading this, please do something about it.

Thanks for reading, and good luck.

Re: Loose Knobs Rev2 Desktop
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2023, 01:31:21 AM »
Out of curiosity I loosened the frequency knob on LFO's
- shaft of pot is half moon type
- knob has some plastic insert that expand and fit on that shaft
- so no splines or anything

If anything become loose, I see no problem just putting something thin in knob or over shaft to make knob stay firm.

I use what we call plummers tape, or thread tape, that is very thin to go on threads to make them all no-wobbly on tremolo bar on strat or for plummer all non-leaky tubes.

I would try something like that if that ever occurs on my desktop. It really took some effort to loosen that knob for me, two small screw drivers, one each side not to bend pot anything, to get it up on top enough to take off. Firm and sturdy as they can be.

But not good if production is not aware enough to ship things with wrong tolerans inserts in knobs or whatever happended in your case.

Re: Loose Knobs Rev2 Desktop
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2023, 03:23:52 AM »
Thanks, that's a great idea, will take another look, however, I'm reasonably sure the pots are not loose [in this instance], are fastened onto the shaft with a tight fit. Instead, it seems the the shaft itself is wobbling, or getting loose, again, in this instance.