Master tune on OB-X8 keyboard - does it have a detent?

LPF83

Master tune on OB-X8 keyboard - does it have a detent?
« on: July 29, 2023, 05:39:23 PM »
The reason I ask about the detent..

I have the module version, which I absolutely adore as I have it so that it's propped up and tilted toward me sitting above my primary MIDI controller, sort of like the knob panel on a Minimoog or Pro3SE for example.  Ergonomically this works well for my needs and better for me than the keyboard version because a) I'm more a wheel than lever guy when it comes to pitch/mod and b) didn't have the space for the keyboard anyway without making concessions elsewhere.

The Prophet 10 has a lovely detent on the master tune knob, which for some sounds encourages (me at least) to use that while playing to create pitch fluctuations and return to the original key played easily (thanks to the detent notch) in ways that are not quite the same any other way (i.e. pitch wheel or LFO).

On the OB-X8 desktop module, you can fine-tune master tune through Page 2, but there's not a dedicated knob.  I would probably do this less on the OB-X8 than the Prophet10 anyway, but I'm curious whether there is a tactile notch on the keyboard version that lets you quickly "feel" the center?  It's in such a nice location, on the left most section.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

Re: Master tune on OB-X8 keyboard - does it have a detent?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2023, 09:00:41 AM »
On the X8 keyboard that tune knob has no detent. Smooth all the way through.

The reason I ask about the detent..

I have the module version, which I absolutely adore as I have it so that it's propped up and tilted toward me sitting above my primary MIDI controller, sort of like the knob panel on a Minimoog or Pro3SE for example.  Ergonomically this works well for my needs and better for me than the keyboard version because a) I'm more a wheel than lever guy when it comes to pitch/mod and b) didn't have the space for the keyboard anyway without making concessions elsewhere.

The Prophet 10 has a lovely detent on the master tune knob, which for some sounds encourages (me at least) to use that while playing to create pitch fluctuations and return to the original key played easily (thanks to the detent notch) in ways that are not quite the same any other way (i.e. pitch wheel or LFO).

On the OB-X8 desktop module, you can fine-tune master tune through Page 2, but there's not a dedicated knob.  I would probably do this less on the OB-X8 than the Prophet10 anyway, but I'm curious whether there is a tactile notch on the keyboard version that lets you quickly "feel" the center?  It's in such a nice location, on the left most section.

LPF83

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2023, 10:55:49 AM »
On the X8 keyboard that tune knob has no detent. Smooth all the way through.

Thanks, I appreciate the response.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2023, 02:20:38 AM »
If it's an important feature for you, perhaps contact Sequential/Oberheim tech support.

It's very likely the Prophet 10 and OB-X8 share the same components (for the potentiometers at least), and sometimes it's possible to modify those potentiometers to add the notch after-the-fact.

If that's not possible, then maybe they're able to provide you a potentiometer as spare part; looking at some pictures people posted, they're PCB mounted (but through-hole), so it should not be complicated to swap them; https://gearspace.com/board/showpost.php?p=16336277&postcount=9282

And if you go through tech-support, maybe it doesn't even void your warranty

LPF83

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2023, 05:56:21 AM »
If it's an important feature for you, perhaps contact Sequential/Oberheim tech support.

It's very likely the Prophet 10 and OB-X8 share the same components (for the potentiometers at least), and sometimes it's possible to modify those potentiometers to add the notch after-the-fact.

If that's not possible, then maybe they're able to provide you a potentiometer as spare part; looking at some pictures people posted, they're PCB mounted (but through-hole), so it should not be complicated to swap them; https://gearspace.com/board/showpost.php?p=16336277&postcount=9282

And if you go through tech-support, maybe it doesn't even void your warranty

Thank you for the ideas.  I was primarily curious if it was a feature that was present on the keyboard version to understand what I might be missing on the desktop;  I wouldn't necessarily want it as a feature on either if the original OB-X/a synth didn't have the detent, and definitely would not expend any effort on modifications to add it.  In the case of the OB-X8 desktop, there isn't a dedicated knob for master fine tune -- the Group/value knob is used to edit the value, so having a centering detent wouldn't make a lot of sense in that particular case.