Some Midi Confusion

Some Midi Confusion
« on: July 23, 2023, 10:12:44 AM »
HI All,

Just got my Pro 3 last week and am struggling a bit with my midi setup. I use an Elektron Digitakt as my brain and the midi traffic is causing some issues.

1: It looks like there is no way to set the in/out midi to different channels (ie: incoming midi on channel 1, outgoing on channel 2)? This is perhaps causing some issues with using the Pro 3 as a controller for my other gear, though I'm not too clear on that.

2. Is there no way to turn off Transport Controls? The issue is that when playing a sequence on the Digitakt, it autoplays the Pro 3 sequencer

3. I am also experiencing wildly stuck midi notes through the DIN cable. This seems to 'fix itself' when I shut down either the Digitakt or the Pro 3 and restart but it's driving me crazy and hasn't been an issue with other controllers.

Appreciate any help!

Re: Some Midi Confusion
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2023, 10:32:03 AM »
1)  To the best of my knowledge, no.  When you set the midi channel in global this will be what the Pro3 receives and transmits on.

2) In the Global settings, on the MIDI tab, set the Midi Cloack Mode (item 2) to "In No S/S".  The S/S stands for Start/Stop so this will set the Pro3 to ignore transport controls from external devices.

3) Sound like you have a midi loop - likely because you still have Local Control set to on and MIDI is being sent from your Pro3, to you Digitakt, and back to your Pro3.  Go to Global setting and set Local Control to "All Off" or "Keys/Wheels Off".  "All Off" will deactivate the entire front panel of your Pro3 (Filter knobs, program select, etc) so if you still want to be able to use those choose "Keys/Wheels Off".  Either setting should resolve any MIDI loops/stuck notes.

Hope this helps!

Re: Some Midi Confusion
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2023, 11:49:28 AM »
Thanks for the reply, black953mj! #3 was indeed due to a midi tangle I had going on and was resolved. #2 I did not know about that setting, many thanks for pointing that out! Appreciated.