New owner--Arp/LFO clock question

New owner--Arp/LFO clock question
« on: July 21, 2023, 07:19:14 AM »
Just got my desktop module yesterday, so I am still learning the ins and outs.  Previous OB6 owner.  This synth blows away the OB6.  Like, it's not even close. 

Anyway, one thing I am trying to figure out is whether the fw currently supports receiving clock signal from external source--in my case a DAW--and being able to adjust arp tempo while still remaining in sync.  As it seems right now, I am stuck to the clock tempo being received.  No way to have 16th notes, 1/4 notes, etc in sync with the clock.  Am I missing something?  This was fairly easy to do with the OB6. Same with LFO rate.  On the OB6, you could easily have the LFO rate sync with the clock and be able to adjust tempo from there.  I'm not even sure the LFO can be sync'd with an external clock signal.

Hopefully this can be added in future fw.  Or maybe I'm missing a menu setting.  Thanks for any insight on this! I'm truly blown away with how good this thing sounds.

Elric

• Peak Oil
Re: New owner--Arp/LFO clock question
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2023, 07:42:13 AM »
I'm truly blown away with how good this thing sounds.

So I've heard. I can only imagine...
(I don't have the space or the money right now.)

>>  sync with the clock

I have been seeing comments on sync and arpeggio stuff.
It looks like it is limited for now. Hopefully they can add more functionality to the midi tempo/seq/arp abilities.
(But, I hardly now what I'm talking about.)
 - Though, look back at other comments. This seems to be a limiting factor, at least on the early versions.
:Elric:
Kurzweil K, Pro3, TX81z, K1r, Triton w/MOSS, Wavestation EX in a bag in the corner.

LPF83

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2023, 03:46:56 PM »
Just got my desktop module yesterday, so I am still learning the ins and outs.  Previous OB6 owner.  This synth blows away the OB6.  Like, it's not even close. 

I tend to agree; toward the goal of capturing the classic Oberheim sound, and those pads/strings that just don't sound quite the same on any other synth, the OB-X8 is really in a different league than the OB-6....much more so that I expected by watching various comparison videos.  I am also surprised at how versatile the OB-X8 is by comparison.  But at the same time my OB-6 will stay... it is very much its own thing, while still sounding like an Oberheim (even if a more modern sounding one).  The immediacy, the arp (not to mention the arp works like one expects it to), the sequencer, and just the general personality that it emits.  It's kind of a classic in its own right, even if it doesn't scratch the same vintage itch the OB-X8 does.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

jg666

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2023, 04:03:05 AM »
Not sure if this is of use to the original poster but there's a new video by Loopop here :-

DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2023, 07:53:42 PM »

This is good to hear. I'm considering a desktop (ob-6 or obx8). I have a subsequent 37 so don't need a sequencer or onboard effects, but looking for a poly to compliment the 37. So I'm leaning towards the obx8. Many people comment (for good or bad) how the ob-6 can get close to the obx8, but wondering if the obx8 can get close to the ob-6 in terms of 'shimmery' sounds? Unfortunately, I don't have a shop that stocks either synth so I'm not able to test drive it before purchasing. Thanks!

LPF83

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2023, 06:47:45 PM »

This is good to hear. I'm considering a desktop (ob-6 or obx8). I have a subsequent 37 so don't need a sequencer or onboard effects, but looking for a poly to compliment the 37. So I'm leaning towards the obx8. Many people comment (for good or bad) how the ob-6 can get close to the obx8, but wondering if the obx8 can get close to the ob-6 in terms of 'shimmery' sounds? Unfortunately, I don't have a shop that stocks either synth so I'm not able to test drive it before purchasing. Thanks!

Already guilting myself for having hijacked the thread topic earlier :)... I decided to post my response to this in the OB-X8 vs OB-6 thread.. hope you find it useful, feel free to ask any questions you may have about comparisons between the two models there.
https://forum.sequential.com/index.php/topic,7250.0.html
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2023, 11:27:10 AM »

Already guilting myself for having hijacked the thread topic earlier :)... I decided to post my response to this in the OB-X8 vs OB-6 thread.. hope you find it useful, feel free to ask any questions you may have about comparisons between the two models there.
https://forum.sequential.com/index.php/topic,7250.0.html

Thanks! I'll head over to the other thread!