Will Sequential ever do another drum machine?

Will Sequential ever do another drum machine?
« on: July 15, 2023, 02:33:18 PM »
After revisiting the Tempest and really digging into it more recently, it got me wondering if we will ever see another drum machine from Sequential.

Tempest, in many ways was ahead of its time and was almost a precursor to some of the Elektron devices and even the new Korg Drumlogue or Novation Circuits with combining synthesis engines next to drum machine oriented sounds (I’m aware there were groove boxes on the market prior but I’m speaking of more dedicated beat oriented devices).

I know Dave had sort of a love/hate relationship with the Tempest with the amount of work/money he dedicated to it (plus the amount of negative criticism on people wanting it to be something it wasn’t) and he likely didn’t want to deal with it again (I know he teased a Prophet X drum machine but with the PX not selling well, that likely kiboshed that) but with the Focusrite merger...and with Novation under that umbrella...I wonder...

It’s not out of the realm of possibility I suppose. The Pro 3 incorporates some percussive elements and techniques and the Prophet X has drum samples and percussion sounds and the Novation Circuit Tracks And Rhythm are really interesting, so the ingredients are there.

But the market looks a lot different now than when the Tempest came out. Elektron, Arturia, Korg, And Roland having dedicated drum machines, and stand-alone devices like the MPC range, Maschine+ and Push 3...what exactly would a new Sequential drum machine look like or do?

I don’t expect any official confirmation but I would love if some members of the Sequential staffed chimed in as well as Tempest users or just those interested in the discussion in general.

Re: Will Sequential ever do another drum machine?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2023, 08:03:12 AM »
Yes, that would be amazing to get a new drum machine from Sequential.

Unfortunately there are not much “pro level” musical instruments today in terms of sound quality, ui etc, there’s definitely a place for analog drum machine / groove box from Sequential Circuits!

We discussed it here many times, it could be Tempest 2 with more polyphony, memory, good midi implementation and digital effects, or collab with Roger Linn and his new expressive mpe sequencer ideas or collab with Dave Rossum, contributing his mind blowing sampler and digi designs to it.

No matter what it could be, I would prefer a serious pro level tool with no compromise on sound quality, innovative and clever features, not just a entry level beat box.

In the meantime Tempest is still a killer machine, using it more and more first of all because of that “analog vibe” and many ways to experiment.

And yes I really like the idea of analog “groove box”, not just focused on classic drum sounds, but basically any analog sounds / grooves / textures etc… Tempest is very good at it.

Maybe we should call it Sequential Groove? : )

Re: Will Sequential ever do another drum machine?
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2023, 04:41:16 PM »
Yes, that would be amazing to get a new drum machine from Sequential.

Unfortunately there are not much “pro level” musical instruments today in terms of sound quality, ui etc, there’s definitely a place for analog drum machine / groove box from Sequential Circuits!

We discussed it here many times, it could be Tempest 2 with more polyphony, memory, good midi implementation and digital effects, or collab with Roger Linn and his new expressive mpe sequencer ideas or collab with Dave Rossum, contributing his mind blowing sampler and digi designs to it.

No matter what it could be, I would prefer a serious pro level tool with no compromise on sound quality, innovative and clever features, not just a entry level beat box.

In the meantime Tempest is still a killer machine, using it more and more first of all because of that “analog vibe” and many ways to experiment.

And yes I really like the idea of analog “groove box”, not just focused on classic drum sounds, but basically any analog sounds / grooves / textures etc… Tempest is very good at it.

Maybe we should call it Sequential Groove? : )

I don’t foresee an entry level device at all. Novation’s Circuit devices are more catered towards that demographic.

I’m still enamoured with the Tempest and from my experience with the ISLA S2400 Drum Machine, somehow gathering the best features of both into a single machine would be fantastic.