Roland System 8 plug Out

Re: Roland System 8 plug Out
« Reply #60 on: September 26, 2016, 02:44:52 PM »
Any ideas as to the reasons the JD-Xa isn't selling well?  It looked like a decent instrument to me, except for the exterior body.

No idea. I've only heard from a couple of retailers that it sells worse than the Boutique series, which in turn supposedly sells way better than Yamaha's Reface series.
It could be the toy-like appearance, it could be the at times dated sounding presets (which mostly reminded me of 1990s techno stuff), and it could also be that it seems to complicated to some. With regard to the latter there are parts of the synth that aren't so easy to navigate (cf. Nick Batt's review), especially if you want to start from scratch.

In general, and especially with the analog revival in mind, it seems to me that most buyers are especially interested in instant gratification instruments. Sound designer's dream machines are not really for the mass market I suppose. They might get good reviews, but are not necessarily everybody's darling, as not everybody wants to dig deep into a synth's architecture. Look at mono synths for example. I, of course, would expect to see way more Pro 2s out in the wild, but if you look at festival stages or whatever, you still see a majority of either vintage monos, MS-20 Minis, or Moogs. Or think back to the Evolver for example, which to this day would be a super affordable and hard to beat synth in its desktop or MEK incarnations. (I still know plenty of synth heads who have absolutely no idea about the Evolver.)

So I guess it is probably related to a certain degree of conservatism and maybe a lack of courage to try out something different here and there. But these are just my personal assumptions.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 02:53:04 PM by Paul Dither »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #61 on: September 26, 2016, 08:48:56 PM »
Thanks for the information about the JD-Xa.  I'm always happy to have my interest in an instrument eliminated, due to critical comments about it - seriously.  It's one less thing on which to waste my thoughts and money.  And thanks also for the complimentary comments about the Evolver.  Paul, for a moment my heart was going pitter-patter.  :D

« Reply #62 on: September 27, 2016, 04:29:22 AM »
Thanks for the information about the JD-Xa.  I'm always happy to have my interest in an instrument eliminated, due to critical comments about it - seriously.  It's one less thing on which to waste my thoughts and money.  And thanks also for the complimentary comments about the Evolver.  Paul, for a moment my heart was going pitter-patter.  :D

Keep in mind, though, that my assertion is based only on a couple of retailers. It might be completely different in other regions. It was also not necessarily my goal to eliminate interest in the JD-XA. I only checked it out once, rather briefly. And my only complains are rather about its outward appearance (glossy look and at times panel design) and its build quality (first and foremost its keyboard), not the engine as such. Conceptually, I certainly find the its hybrid architecture to be more interesting than the synths based on ACB technology, although I can definitely understand the attractivity of the latter with regard to the relationship between software and dedicated controllers, especially for live use.

eXode

« Reply #63 on: September 27, 2016, 07:56:20 AM »
Perhaps Roland should have hired this guy for the JDXa overlay: http://www.synthgraphics.com/Roland_JD-XA_panel.html

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #64 on: September 27, 2016, 08:33:34 AM »

Keep in mind, though, that my assertion is based only on a couple of retailers. It might be completely different in other regions. It was also not necessarily my goal to eliminate interest in the JD-XA. I only checked it out once, rather briefly. And my only complains are rather about its outward appearance (glossy look and at times panel design) and its build quality (first and foremost its keyboard), not the engine as such. Conceptually, I certainly find the its hybrid architecture to be more interesting than the synths based on ACB technology, although I can definitely understand the attractivity of the latter with regard to the relationship between software and dedicated controllers, especially for live use.

I'm not giving undue weight to your passing comments and I realize your experience with the instrument is limited.  They're just one more nail in the JD-Xa coffin for me.  I really shouldn't be considering such odd musical tangents.  There are other more worthy instruments to be seriously considered.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 08:41:42 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #65 on: October 18, 2016, 07:52:26 AM »
Hi...i am a new user here. As per my knowledge there's plenty of precedent in the classical world for shorter keyboards and even smaller keys.  But these were not the standard instruments used in performances, but were generally used at home as practice instruments and composition tools, or were used by travelling musicians.  In addition, music was specifically written for their limited keyboard range.

« Reply #66 on: June 30, 2017, 12:01:55 PM »
Love the System 8 except for the narrow keys and action.  I was planning on using it to replace Prophet 6 on some gigs as mu middle keyboard in a 3-tier set up.  But I just went back to Prophet 6 to rehearse for a gig tomorrow and concluded it has such a better action (as well as the benefit of true analog, but the Sys-8 has its own virtues).  The keybed on the Sys-8 really is junk. 

« Reply #67 on: September 22, 2017, 06:04:47 PM »
I have been looking around for a synth with a good keyboard and tried a few. The Nord Lead 4 keybed is plastic toy/junk. If the sys8 /JDXa   are close to that the it's junk too IMHO. ( I don't know how manufacturers dare to place such garbage keys on synths.  The electro 4/73 SW is better, but are more like piano keys. Have an old Roland D-10 and I just love the key-bed , use it as my master keyboard and I found it is very similar to the REV'2 (Same as on the P6/OB6, Fatar/8) I tried  the REV2 keys and the keys are just a bit better. DSI keybeds are the way to go IMHO for synths and I would buy it if I just had space and not that D-10 key-bed taking all the space.

About the System 8: It's MIDI implementation is just disgraceful. The D-05 has a very good detailed Sysex identical as the D-50. The Boutiques support Sysex  but undocumented. Roland can do it using ACB/DCB but they just refuse it, even on the ACB "top end" System 8 which only has CC and no documented Sysex. Hope Roland will come out with a system 12  with Aftertouch and Sysex like the D-05. also in module form like the System 1/m which looks to me the best ACB value/feature for money to date.

LoboLives

« Reply #68 on: September 29, 2017, 04:33:35 AM »
I like the idea of having the keyboard stay at home and bringing the sounds onto a dedicated synth. My question is It has the System 8, Jupiter and Juno engines and another blank spot for you to add your own plug in...can you take out the Jupiter and Juno parts and exchange those for other stuff?

LoboLives

« Reply #69 on: September 29, 2017, 01:26:31 PM »
I like the idea of having the keyboard stay at home and bringing the sounds onto a dedicated synth. My question is It has the System 8, Jupiter and Juno engines and another blank spot for you to add your own plug in...can you take out the Jupiter and Juno parts and exchange those for other stuff?

Just read up on it, looks like you can.