Filter not in tune despite calibration

Filter not in tune despite calibration
« on: July 06, 2023, 02:37:38 PM »
The filter of my rev2 tracks perfectly but is consistently approx. +25 cents off. Did follow all calibration wisdom I could find here, but no change. Oscillators are 100% in tune.

Any advice very much appreciated.

Christian

Re: Filter not in tune despite calibration
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2023, 02:36:46 PM »
Hi, make sure the Key Amount is set to 64, this 100% of filter tracking

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2023, 12:16:01 PM »
Hi

You’re right, mine is the same when I disengage both oscillators. I don’t think the resonant filter will track in perfect tune without an oscillator to lock on to. It’s perfectly playable but considerably sharp or flat up the length of the keyboard

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2023, 08:23:34 PM »
The filter of my rev2 tracks perfectly but is consistently approx. +25 cents off. Did follow all calibration wisdom I could find here, but no change. Oscillators are 100% in tune.

Christian

It's not an ideal solution, and a bit of pain to setup, but if you absolutely need to be able to fine tune the cutoff position to play the filter, you can do a trick where you:

1. Set the sequencer to Gated Mode
2. Set the Gated Sequencer to Key Step Mode
3. On Seq 1, Step 1 set a relatively low value like 24
4. On Seq 1, Step 2 set it to Reset
5. Don't set Seq Destination
6. In Mod Matrix, use a slot to route "Seq 1" to your intended destination "Cutoff"
7. Adjust the Mod Amount +/- until the Filter is nominally tuned in center of keybed

This method allows scaling down the modulation amounts.

You can definitely get it very close to nominal tuning / tracking, at least in a three to four octave range, using this workaround.  I've used this in a few patches, where I want a well tuned Sine Wave Sub Bass on one layer, or for some sonar type sounds.

OB-X8, Pro 3, P6, Rev2, Take 5, 3rd Wave, Deepmind, PolyBrute, Sub 37
Sound Sets:
https://sounddesign.sellfy.store/
Free Patches:
https://www.PresetPatch.com/user/CreativeSpiral

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2023, 02:11:54 PM »
Hi, make sure the Key Amount is set to 64, this 100% of filter tracking

As mentioned above it tracks perfectly.....

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2023, 11:35:03 AM »

Christian

It's not an ideal solution, and a bit of pain to setup, but if you absolutely need to be able to fine tune the cutoff position to play the filter, you can do a trick where you:

6. In Mod Matrix, use a slot to route "Seq 1" to your intended destination "Cutoff"
7. Adjust the Mod Amount +/- until the Filter is nominally tuned in center of keybed

You can definitely get it very close to nominal tuning / tracking, at least in a three to four octave range, using this workaround.  I've used this in a few patches, where I want a well tuned Sine Wave Sub Bass on one layer, or for some sonar type sounds.

Thank you. Another easier way is to use Audio Mod. BTW I am using your VCM sounds and your technique. Good work!

Christian

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2023, 12:18:32 PM »

Christian

Thank you. Another easier way is to use Audio Mod. BTW I am using your VCM sounds and your technique. Good work!

Christian

Interesting... I should experiment with Filter Audio Mod more -- have mostly just used it to give flutter to wind/brass sounds.   

Glad you're enjoying the VCM sounds!   Cheers.

OB-X8, Pro 3, P6, Rev2, Take 5, 3rd Wave, Deepmind, PolyBrute, Sub 37
Sound Sets:
https://sounddesign.sellfy.store/
Free Patches:
https://www.PresetPatch.com/user/CreativeSpiral