How to make Arp send StartStop MIDI message?

How to make Arp send StartStop MIDI message?
« on: July 03, 2023, 06:47:10 AM »
Just curious if this is possible; this worked without any additional configuration with my PolyBrute; when the Arp/Seq starts, my Roland TR-8S starts; when the arp stops, the drum machine stops. It also syncs tempo from the PB to the drum machine, so the tempo of the arp/seq dictates the tempo of the drum machine. Makes for some pretty cool impromptu jams.

I've been through all the MIDI settings I can find in the OB-X8. What am I missing? Is this feature just missing? I can always use my PB as the master and then slave the OB-X8 and use MIDI Thru to the Roland to achieve effectively the same thing, but I'd like for this (what I feel is a relatively basic) function to work on the OB if possible.

On the other hand, the sequencer and arpeggiator are far more robust on the PB, so maybe it's best to just do it this way? I really like the OB's keyboard, though...

Anyway, thanks in advance!

SMV

Re: How to make Arp send StartStop MIDI message?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2023, 02:04:50 AM »
I am using the Analog Rytm MK2 to send the tempo to the OBX8. And i tried in two different ways. Via Midi cable, it is working ( i mean it slaves to the tempo of the ARytm) but doesn't receive the start/stop.
What i am doing now, is to connect the ARytm Midi out to my Dark Time that is controlling my Moog Voyager, and from the Dark Time, i am sending a Clock Out to the OBX. So with a cable i am going from the Clock out of the Darktime to the Arp in of the OBX and it is working perfectly ( start/stop included ). Of course you need to select Clock Input on the OBX global setting.
SMV

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2023, 04:12:26 AM »
Yeah, I know there are a bunch of ways to get the arp to sync with external gear, but my concern was getting the drum machine to start when the arp starts and stop when the arp stops, like it does on my PolyBrute. But it's okay - I've just accepted that it's not possible for now. Perhaps in a future update :)

SMV

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2023, 04:32:49 AM »
Ah ok. Now i understood better. Anyway i set my OBX as slave, even because if i do the opposite, i will not know how many bpm are. It is another thing that i would like they implement in future ;)
SMV