Prophet 5 rev 4 vs OB-X8

Re: Prophet 5 rev 4 vs OB-X8
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2024, 05:22:33 PM »
I have a question for you Oberheim and Prophet experts, please.

I like very much the sound of the synth coming in (at least for my ears the first time) at 0:57, it's a kind of brassy sound.

https://youtu.be/PwGu5XhaB9Y?si=9WOWMrPxlG8TBpYV

Do you think it's the Prophet 5 or the Oberheim?

(The credits of this record say there is a Prophet 5 and an Oberheim 8 voice (EVS) involved.)

Thanks!
It sounds like a Rhodes Electric Piano with chorus . I think 🤔 he did just the two of us also. That definitely used a Rhodes Electric Piano. I don’t really hear any synths unless that’s what I think is the Rhodes Electric piano with chorus at 57.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2024, 03:46:58 AM by chysn »

« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2024, 02:02:30 PM »
Not sure if it’s my ears, or the fact I’m only listening through a phone, but that sounds like an electric piano to me with some chorus and phaser going on

Edit - ok I think I hear the sound you mean. It’s quite low in the mix, could be actual horns tbh. If it is a synth it’s difficult to tell without isolation. Btw both synths are capable of horn like sounds.. do you have any other examples of the kind of sounds you’re after by any chance?
Thanks for listening and giving it a try. Yes, difficult to hear w/o headphones and the sound is quite close to actual horns in some parts, but in the end, it is a synth, I am just not sure which of the 2 :) 
« Last Edit: February 02, 2024, 02:16:48 PM by waxdoctor »

« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2024, 02:04:02 PM »
My guess would be a Prophet 5.
I would like to believe that too :) - Thanks a lot!

« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2024, 02:12:27 PM »

I like very much the sound of the synth coming in (at least for my ears the first time) at 0:57, it's a kind of brassy sound.

(The credits of this record say there is a Prophet 5 and an Oberheim 8 voice (EVS) involved.)

Thanks!
It sounds like a Rhodes Electric Piano with chorus . I think 🤔 he did just the two of us also. That definitely used a Rhodes Electric Piano. I don’t really hear any synths unless that’s what I think is the Rhodes Electric piano with chorus at 57.

yes, good old Mr Richards Tee is playing lovely on his EP there, but not at the part I was referring to, and difficult to hear w/o headphones :) it's a synth but not sure if P5 or OB EVS - thanks a lot for listening!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2024, 02:15:32 PM by waxdoctor »

g3o2

« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2024, 03:50:18 PM »

Thanks!

yes, good old Mr Richards Tee is playing lovely on his EP there, but not at the part I was referring to, and difficult to hear w/o headphones :) it's a synth but not sure if P5 or OB EVS - thanks a lot for listening!

Let me put it this way: the Rev 4 will definitely get you there for the brassy sound in the background. The OB-X8 may also get you there. My guess is that it stems from a Prophet. However, I have never heard an EVS in my life, so in all truth I don’t know.

« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2024, 06:13:36 AM »

Thanks!

It can be a P5 (stereospreaded by some chorus) as well as an OB. It’s common to blend a couple of sources when recording and possibly it’s a mix of sounds. In my ears it sounds like an OB of some kind is involved. Based on a Rhodes electric piano with phaser is pretty thick when record and is the dominant instrument I’ll guess the brass sound is pretty much scoped out in low mid (approx 200 Hz) and cut at the low end that makes it breath behind the Rhodes.