Using an OB-6 as a midi controller in Garageband

Using an OB-6 as a midi controller in Garageband
« on: June 24, 2023, 01:31:03 PM »
Yeah, I know it's sacrilege, but I just want to explore using my OB-6 to play some VST's in Garageband.

I'm very new to all this, all of it; synths, midi, Garageband, etc., so please go gentle on me!

I've connected the OB-6 to my MacBook Pro via USB, launched Garageband and gone into Settings -> Audio/Midi and expected to see the OB-6 as an option in the Input Devices drop-down.  Unfortunately it's not there.  Should it be?  Please tell me what I am doing wrong.

Best regards and many thanks in advance.

Re: Using an OB-6 as a midi controller in Garageband
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2023, 01:38:38 PM »
Yeah, I know it's sacrilege, but I just want to explore using my OB-6 to play some VST's in Garageband.

I'm very new to all this, all of it; synths, midi, Garageband, etc., so please go gentle on me!

I've connected the OB-6 to my MacBook Pro via USB, launched Garageband and gone into Settings -> Audio/Midi and expected to see the OB-6 as an option in the Input Devices drop-down.  Unfortunately it's not there.  Should it be?  Please tell me what I am doing wrong.

First of all, there's no such thing as sacrilege in the world of music making, ever since we all collectively settled on Steely Dan!

I don't use GB, generally, but when I opened up my copy, it's my interface showing as MIDI controller, not my Prophet 6 (the synth I use as master controller...). I run my P6 into my interface via MIDI cables, not USB. No idea if this makes a difference on your end. Hope this is helpful!

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2023, 01:45:19 PM »

First of all, there's no such thing as sacrilege in the world of music making, ever since we all collectively settled on Steely Dan!

I don't use GB, generally, but when I opened up my copy, it's my interface showing as MIDI controller, not my Prophet 6 (the synth I use as master controller...). I run my P6 into my interface via MIDI cables, not USB. No idea if this makes a difference on your end. Hope this is helpful!

Thanks for the speedy response, much appreciated

I see my Focusrite showing up in Inputs/Outputs, but the OB-6 isn't connected to it from a midi point of view.  It does have left and right connected to the Focusrite and sound works.  I don't have any midi cables at present.  Perhaps that might make a difference though I've read that connecting the OB-6 would be preferable via USB to the computer, rather than midi to the interface.  Again, I have no view on this as I'm just starting out.

Thanks again.

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2023, 02:35:09 PM »

Thanks for the speedy response, much appreciated

I see my Focusrite showing up in Inputs/Outputs, but the OB-6 isn't connected to it from a midi point of view.  It does have left and right connected to the Focusrite and sound works.  I don't have any midi cables at present.  Perhaps that might make a difference though I've read that connecting the OB-6 would be preferable via USB to the computer, rather than midi to the interface.  Again, I have no view on this as I'm just starting out.

Thanks again.

I've been doing music for years and still feel lie I'm starting out. Tech isn't what my head understands. That said, I've always had great luck with MIDI cables and interfaces. USB noise has been an issue for me in the past with my P6 and I still have a few USB-powered devices that generate noise.

Good that you're seeing the Focusrite showing up. Maybe someone else on the forum can do more to help from this point. Or, grab some MIDI cables!

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2023, 02:59:26 PM »
I've been doing music for years and still feel lie I'm starting out. Tech isn't what my head understands. That said, I've always had great luck with MIDI cables and interfaces. USB noise has been an issue for me in the past with my P6 and I still have a few USB-powered devices that generate noise.

Good that you're seeing the Focusrite showing up. Maybe someone else on the forum can do more to help from this point. Or, grab some MIDI cables!

Some progress. I found a web site with instructions for Prophet 6 and midi settings using Global and tens, with key presses on 5, 6, 7, etc.   That has worked for the midi.  In Garageband, if I select 'System Settings' for Input device and MacBook Pro Speakers for Output device all is well.  The OB-6 is playing, say, piano sounds from within Garageband.  That's a result.  However, for the Output device, it only plays through the MacBook Pro speakers.  If I select Focusrite, where my headphones are connected I hear nothing.  The headphones do work through Focusrite outside of this use case.   If I can resolve this I can move on.

Thanks again