Oscillator Frequency read out?

the8bitdeity

• Ham handed synth enthusiast
Oscillator Frequency read out?
« on: June 24, 2023, 11:42:13 AM »
Hello,
Just got an OB-X8 desktop and I'm thrilled. One thing I'm a bit confused on is my OB-6 will indicate what note I'm tuned to when I move the respective oscillator frequency, but I'm not seeing a way to do so on the OB-X8. I realize "just use your ears" but I'm far from pitch perfect. Is there a way to see what the frequency is tuned to in the display?
Kijimi, Xerxes mk2, OB6D, P6D, Prophet 5D (expanded), OB-X8D, Hydrasynth, Pro 3, Wavestate, MS20D, A4mk2, ARmk2, MC202, Avalon, Syntakt, Octatrack, NLDR, H9000, Digitone, Deckard's Dream mk2, Isi-Nin, Roland System 500 + other Eurorack

Re: Oscillator Frequency read out?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2023, 07:38:59 AM »
I’m with ya!  I own the ob6/pro3 also.  Also wondering why this is not displayed.  I have several other sequential synths and assumed some of these types of display feedback would be there.  Seems like a waste to not show any of these values in the display and only use it for patch names.  Is it to keep it inline with the original?

g3o2

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2023, 10:58:12 AM »
On occasion it would indeed be nice to see the exact value of the knob you’re operating.

At the same time, keeping your eyes on the knobs and off the mini screen is part of the OB-X8’s UX: you adjust the value until your ears like it.

the8bitdeity

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2023, 12:41:52 PM »
Feels like a no brainer for Page 2
Kijimi, Xerxes mk2, OB6D, P6D, Prophet 5D (expanded), OB-X8D, Hydrasynth, Pro 3, Wavestate, MS20D, A4mk2, ARmk2, MC202, Avalon, Syntakt, Octatrack, NLDR, H9000, Digitone, Deckard's Dream mk2, Isi-Nin, Roland System 500 + other Eurorack

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2023, 08:13:17 PM »

For a digital oscillator, yes.

For analog oscillators like the OB-X8, it's not so simple.  You need a period counter circuit whose measurement can be read by the firmware.  Period counters cost $$$, and you need 16 of them for all 16 oscillators of the OB-X8.  Now, what if any oscillator is being modulated?  The read out will no longer be a stable reading.

Now the no brainer is, are you willing to pay higher $$$ for that feature? 

Be careful what you ask for.

I've been doing sound design on analog synths since 1981 and have never once needed a frequency read out.

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2023, 04:05:04 AM »

For analog oscillators like the OB-X8, it's not so simple.  You need a period counter circuit whose measurement can be read by the firmware.  Period counters cost $$$, and you need 16 of them for all 16 oscillators of the OB-X8.  Now, what if any oscillator is being modulated?  The read out will no longer be a stable reading.

I've been doing sound design on analog synths since 1981 and have never once needed a frequency read out.
I think the OP was asking for a note name readout (like the ones found on P6, P5/10, OB-6 and Trigon 6) rather than an exact frequency readout.

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2023, 07:03:36 AM »

I think the OP was asking for a note name readout (like the ones found on P6, P5/10, OB-6 and Trigon 6) rather than an exact frequency readout.

Read the original post again.  He requested frequency not note name.

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2023, 08:42:38 AM »

Read the original post again.  He requested frequency not note name.
So he did. I obviously conflated it with post after that which mentioned one of the other models.

I’m sure they could add note name easily, which would be a big improvement over nothing.

the8bitdeity

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2023, 12:55:37 PM »
Ok, apologies, I'm asking to know what interval it's being tuned to, just like the P6 / OB 6 do. Currently I have to basically "count" in my head since manual states it goes up to +63 semitones. I tried Sound Tower but that UI is ... woof.

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2023, 11:16:54 PM »
No, there is no such as the OB-X8 as it was not at the original as I can recall. You can always use an external tuner etc if you need see the pitches. If intervals, check one oscillator at time.

SMV

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2023, 01:53:41 AM »
Even if it does't bother me too much, but i would like to see the name of the notes on the display. As it is on the Prophet 5/10 that i own :)
SMV