OB-X8 OS 1.1.0.0 BRICKED MY SYNTH

OB-X8 OS 1.1.0.0 BRICKED MY SYNTH
« on: June 24, 2023, 05:41:28 AM »
Can someone help me?  Just transferred the new firmware via Sysex on a mac.  No issues at all.  Restarted the synth when done. Now when I turn it on, my LCD doesn't turn on, and most of the buttons have the red light showing, and nothing works when I press any buttons. Sysex doesn't see the synth anymore either so I can't re-send it.

HELP!?

fg

Re: OB-X8 OS 1.1.0.0 BRICKED MY SYNTH
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2023, 05:49:29 AM »
Can someone help me?  Just transferred the new firmware via Sysex on a mac.  No issues at all.  Restarted the synth when done. Now when I turn it on, my LCD doesn't turn on, and most of the buttons have the red light showing, and nothing works when I press any buttons. Sysex doesn't see the synth anymore either so I can't re-send it.

HELP!?

Try the recovery mode described here: https://support.oberheim.com/hc/en-gb/articles/7067213876370

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2023, 06:18:16 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion. Tried that but didn't seem to work. I get the recovery screen but when I send the OS via Midi, it doesn't seem to accept it.  Still says "Ready for SysEx".  Sysex takes some time to send it, but nothing happens on the receiving side.  I usually send Sysex via USB, so perhaps my old USB-to-Midi cable I'm using is problematic. 

HELP!?

Try the recovery mode described here: https://support.oberheim.com/hc/en-gb/articles/7067213876370

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2023, 11:59:57 AM »

HELP!?

Try different USB cable?

g3o2

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2023, 12:55:25 PM »
try contacting support

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2023, 04:05:26 PM »
For the recovery mode stuff they made me use a midi connection and not USB. That worked well.
try contacting support

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2023, 05:17:52 PM »
Yes, ordered a midi interface instead of the cheap usb to midi cable. Hopefully does the trick.

For the recovery mode stuff they made me use a midi connection and not USB. That worked well.
try contacting support

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2023, 12:43:40 AM »
For some reason DIN based MIDI seams to work better for this kind of operations, in general, than USB MIDI. At early firmware of Prophet 6 and Prophet 5 they recommended DIN based MIDI for updating firmware instead of USB MIDI, but haven’t seen such notes at later firmware’s.

LPF83

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2023, 03:20:04 AM »
For some reason DIN based MIDI seams to work better for this kind of operations, in general, than USB MIDI. At early firmware of Prophet 6 and Prophet 5 they recommended DIN based MIDI for updating firmware instead of USB MIDI, but haven’t seen such notes at later firmware’s.

I've found it's good to have multiple options on hand; it seems synths from some manufacturers tend to not like USB/MIDI that others do.  For example I think Sequential's support docs at one point mentioned the M-Audio Midisport Uno as a cable they had good luck with, and I never had a problem with it on Sequential stuff, however other synths seem to work better (or in the case of my JP-8080 exclusively with) the Roland UM-ONE.  I also have a MIDIFace 8x8 as an option, but most of the time when updating the OS I just use straight USB->USB
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2023, 03:31:53 AM »
Just an update, I was able to do the OS Restore once my new cable came. Still no reason for the initial failure as that was via USB and transferred 100%. But if anyone else gets stuck and has to do an OS Restore and doesn't have a midi interface (your only option for restore), this is the cable I used which worked: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09MTQ718H?psc=1
Glad to be back and running!

I've found it's good to have multiple options on hand; it seems synths from some manufacturers tend to not like USB/MIDI that others do.  For example I think Sequential's support docs at one point mentioned the M-Audio Midisport Uno as a cable they had good luck with, and I never had a problem with it on Sequential stuff, however other synths seem to work better (or in the case of my JP-8080 exclusively with) the Roland UM-ONE.  I also have a MIDIFace 8x8 as an option, but most of the time when updating the OS I just use straight USB->USB

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2023, 06:25:32 AM »
Different USB-cables has different standards, older are USB 1 and my guess is it’s possible the cable must support USB 2 or later.

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2023, 06:35:53 AM »
Thanks for the update. Sorry you had to take one for the team, but I'll appreciate you if this happens to me and I have to go through the same thing.

g3o2

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2023, 05:27:56 AM »
I use BT Midi via DIN (CME Widi product line) and this works like a charm for sysex transfers to/from laptop from/to synth.

USB for MIDI purposes is just a huge pain to handle: A vs B vs mini vs micro, cables longer than 2m causing problems, potential ground loop issues, issues related to data transfer speed, physical port vulnerability, etc.