wobbly pots

wobbly pots
« on: June 18, 2023, 09:10:30 PM »
any else find that they have some overly wobbly pots?

for the most part mine are sturdy, but I find that the cutoff has copious movement.  Is that normal? disconcerting?  is there a way of tightening up the pots? 

I am not rough when turning the knobs, but I am worried that they may one day break.

Many thanks.

Re: wobbly pots
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2023, 05:58:02 AM »
From my experience with two Rev2s as well as to Prophet 6, they alle to a degree suffer from wobbly pots... I think I read somewhere its a weakness in the design of the pots themselves... The tightness varies quite a bit, and in some cases pots that are tight when the unit is brand new, will get looser over time as they are used.

I think its rear that they brake of or start malfunctioning in other ways, but I agree; its no good for the premium kit these instruments are :(
Prophet 5 rev4
Moog Matriarch
Take 5
Moog Grandmother
Nord Electro 5

(Mopho X4, Prophet REV2 16, Prophet 6, OB6, PRO 3) ... as well as a pile of gear from other manufacturers

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2023, 07:51:40 AM »
I don't agree one bit.

My Desktop-16 is as sturdy pots as they come.
But only 11 months old, and delivered with os 1.2.1. from start.
If they updated something in later batches maybe.

Not rejecting what is said in thread, just how my unit is.

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2023, 02:41:54 PM »
They do have some play in them, mine is 6 months old and the cutoff has some movement but this is normal for pots that aren’t bolted to the front panel. It’s not going to affect anything, just doesn’t feel too nice. It’s weird that some have a little play but others are more ridged, I think that’s what worries people.

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2023, 05:36:27 AM »
If people with keyboard version feel pots moving could be that circuit boards are bigger and give in a bit bending.

Desktop is so compact that there is no room with as big circuit boards.
- if this makes a difference
- just a theory

Using and designing electronics since 50 years I never encountered a pot wobbling to break as suggested here. Then not on guitars, amps or keyboards of any sort either. But oxidization though is quite common and having to move a couple times back and forth to get rid of noise.
- 360 controller shaft move maybe 0.5mm or so on my desktop
- all pots no glitch what so ever

What could break pots is poor designed case and in a tour bus letting synth rest on pots and vibrating or something for many hours.

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2023, 10:47:31 AM »
I often see people pushing one side of the pot instead of twisting properly the knob with 2 fingers on each side of the diameter. Could be a big differentiator.

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2023, 09:06:07 AM »
any else find that they have some overly wobbly pots?

for the most part mine are sturdy, but I find that the cutoff has copious movement.  Is that normal? disconcerting?  is there a way of tightening up the pots? 

I am not rough when turning the knobs, but I am worried that they may one day break.

Many thanks.

You're not alone. I just made a separate post about the same thing. Didn't see this thread. Thought it was just me in 2023 with this issue/experience.

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2023, 01:36:26 AM »
In my world wobbly pots is very different story than loose knobs.

That's is what I reacted on, that pots shafts would be loose or something on pot being bad quality.