Some pots turning easier than others

Some pots turning easier than others
« on: June 17, 2023, 12:59:22 AM »
I notice that some pots are easier to turn than others, is that normal? And for instance the Vintage knob has almost no resistance and if I start quickly turning it left/right I feel like something is skipping mechanically underneath. Other than that the pots work good, so it’s only a mechanical feeling.

Wondering if the pots might be leaking oil since that’s what is used to create resistance. Maybe I have inadvertently caused it by turning them too quickly to overcome the resistance because I remember all pots very very stiff when my Take 5 first arrived 6 months ago. Is it not recommended to turn the pots quickly against the resistance? Have I broken them?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2023, 01:09:56 AM by CyberGene »

kpatz

Re: Some pots turning easier than others
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2023, 10:53:59 AM »
Pots can loosen up with use, so if you use some more than others, they may become looser over time. This isn’t a fault.  There’s a friction bearing that gives the pot most of its turning resistance, it has no bearing on the operation (wiper/resistance element) of the pot.

Look at all the posts about loose/wobbly pots on the OB-6.  The Take 5’s pots are much stiffer by comparison.

Re: Some pots turning easier than others
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2023, 11:13:47 AM »
^ Thanks, that’s reassuring. Good to know I didn’t break them.