P12 uneven keys issue ?

P12 uneven keys issue ?
« on: June 04, 2023, 12:18:38 PM »
Hey All  :D

I just picked-up a used P12, and after collecting it I notice 2 or 3 of the keys are higher on the key-bed than others, I'm pretty sure it's not been damaged and is A1 condition.

I have several other DSI instruments but none have ever had this issue.

My question is has anyone else come across this ? and if so us there a known fix ?

thx

timboréale

• MIDI nerd
Re: P12 uneven keys issue ?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2023, 05:31:52 PM »
Nope. It's not common. Had two different P12 keybeds and while they had their issues, neither of them had this particular one at all. And it's the *exact* same keybed used on the Prophet '08 too, so they've got zillions of them in service.

It's an *extremely* simple keybed to take apart (similar to any Fatar TP8 or TP9 series, pop the rear spring out carefully without stretching it too much, carefully de-clip the key, and it just lifts out). You could easily disassemble the problem keys and see if there's some bit of something stuck under there elevating them. I wouldn't recommend it if you're a klutz or tend to be clumsy with delicate parts (it's very easy to snap the tab off the key itself, or to damage/stretch the spring) but if you're moderately coordinate, reasonably careful, and have at least some experience taking things apart and they work when you re-assemble them, I'd suggest it as a first course of action.

Note that it's possible to "lift" the keys a bit higher than they'd ordinarily sit, but once you play them they should return to the normal position, not the elevated one.
Prophet 6 keyboard, Rev2-16, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Nords, etc...

Re: P12 uneven keys issue ?
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2023, 10:01:59 AM »
Hey All  :D

I just picked-up a used P12, and after collecting it I notice 2 or 3 of the keys are higher on the key-bed than others, I'm pretty sure it's not been damaged and is A1 condition.

I have several other DSI instruments but none have ever had this issue.

My question is has anyone else come across this ? and if so us there a known fix ?

thx

Had the same thing, there is a small plastic piece that broke off underneath the key which holds down the key. If you can find the part inside the synth you can try to glue it back on.

It is because the keybed unfortunately is the worst they ever put into a synthesizer. I wished I could replace it with a Fatar one.

The synth will be my all time favorite still!