Trigon Pros & Cons

Re: Trigon Pros & Cons
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2023, 11:04:29 PM »
The Trigon 6 sounds great. It  does offer different features. I think I would still choose the prophet 5 rev4 though. Maybe I’m nostalgic and lean towards classic reissues with modern upgrades.  I like that it has 61 keys . I also like the size of the knobs and the overall look of the prophet 5 rev 4 . It’s a classic

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2023, 01:37:24 PM »
Ok - so today we have th4e Trigon 6 Desktop announcement.   Im now really confused lol.

I have space for 2 desktop units - and 2 full keyboards.  My 2 boards are an Iridium keyboard and a 3rd wave.  My 2 Desktops are a P6 and an OB6.

So - as I can only have TWO desktops (space issue).,.....  Are those 2 OB6/P6,  OB6,T6   or P6/T6.......bearing in mind the 3rd waves capabilities.

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2023, 01:40:55 PM »
Ok - so today we have th4e Trigon 6 Desktop announcement.   Im now really confused lol.

I have space for 2 desktop units - and 2 full keyboards.  My 2 boards are an Iridium keyboard and a 3rd wave.  My 2 Desktops are a P6 and an OB6.

So - as I can only have TWO desktops (space issue).,.....  Are those 2 OB6/P6,  OB6,T6   or P6/T6.......bearing in mind the 3rd waves capabilities.

Do you really need another poly synth? How are you doing with the P6 / OB6? Is there one of them (or both) you are hardly using?

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2023, 02:10:13 PM »

Do you really need another poly synth? How are you doing with the P6 / OB6? Is there one of them (or both) you are hardly using?

I use them both.   Just when I think I prefer one over the other - I play the other more and it flips lol.

I KIND of like the idea of 1 x SEM, 1 x OTA and 1 x Ladder filter synth (rather than multiples in one synth).

On the Trigon I do like the idea of dedicated waveform buttons rather than the sweeping (for a change) and of course OB6 only has triangle on one Osc.  I like having 12 and 24 bd filter options.  I like having the 3 full Oscillators..... but Im not sure I can give up the Prophet and Oberheim flavours.

Im so torn......

I should maybe not splash on the OBx8.... its nicer sounding than the OB6 but not by much, and I should really sort out the mundane stuff (Ive kind of outgrown what I had and need more dedicated lines in rather than sub-mixing) too.....  That would mean sticking with 2 of the T6/P6/OB6 desktops.  Picking which 2 isnt easy..

LPF83

« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2023, 03:39:59 PM »
I should maybe not splash on the OBx8.... its nicer sounding than the OB6 but not by much

Nicer sounding is really subjective, but for those seeking the sound of vintage Oberheims, I have to say as someone that owns both the difference is substantial, and WAY more than what I thought it would be based on YT videos.  The issue is that the videos that are out there are specifically designed to create sounds that are similar.  There is not much out there showing the vast range of differences.  Anyway back to the Trigon desktop...  ladder synths aren't my personal fave, but I wouldn't rule out ever owning one of these in desktop format.  They do sound great, and for those looking for these specific features maybe even a must buy.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

Kosmikos

• https://kosmikos.bandcamp.com
    • Kosmikos on bandcamp.com
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2023, 02:39:45 AM »
I finally made the jump. So after a few weeks with my Trigon and in light of the Desktop announcement I thought I’d actually give it a proper verdict instead of my previous I-spent-10mins-with-one opinion.

Pros:
-I love this format (so I’d probably love the P6 and OB6 too). The programs are coming thick and quick, helped by the preset mode that, once disabled, turns the synth into a WYSIWYG programless keyboard (and presets can still be saved!). And the simplicity of the modulations sources (also in cons) really helps it make it feel not too overwhelming and not menu divy.
-It sounds lovely, tons of sweet spots, and I feel like I can hit all the sounds I personally like. Definitely more like a 70s type of sound than 80s, although I still got some lovely sync/resonant leads that felt more 80s/90s.
-I simply love the colour of that distortion. It just doesn’t never seem to sound quite as good on my Pro3.
-The Vintage knob just works. I was sceptical about it at first, but it just does a lot of modulation on its own. It makes every patch more interesting.
-The envelopes seems somehow snappier and cleaner on short attack time than on my other Sequentials, opening the ground for some really nice plucky/percky sounds.
-The FXs also seem to sound better and be more usable.

Cons:
-Aftertouch still feels a bit rubbish, like a glorified on/off switch. I should have gotten the Osmose first. :)
-Could do with more modulation sources and destinations. I wish I could modulate the distortion with the synced LFO for example.
-I still think it sounds good raw, the oscillators sound better than my Pro3’s, but not OBx8 good.
-I keep wishing that osc2 was like osc3, and that sync3 was also possible.
-The ladder filter doesn’t seem to sound quite as good as my Subharmonicon’s. It also takes a little while to get used to it, and getting a feel for the correct amount of key tracking can feel often tricky with the lack of a dedicated knob and the varying amount of resonance.
-I wish it had aluminium knobs instead of these hard plastic ones, but that’s not too bad. The consistent damping/resistance feel across all pots is pretty good too.
-It’s too tall to fit on my desk keyboard drawer. So I can’t switch it positions with my Rev2.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2023, 02:47:45 AM by Kosmikos »