Pitch wheel range - increase to 24?

Pitch wheel range - increase to 24?
« on: September 06, 2016, 06:11:25 AM »

Hi, is there any reason the maximum pitch wheel range couldn't be increased from 12 to 24?

I use the P6 with the Linnstrument a lot, and there would be a huge advantage to being able to bend 24 semitones.

Re: Pitch wheel range - increase to 24?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2016, 03:42:50 AM »
I think the possible range for the pitch wheel will be governed by the hardware design. It may be that there is one node on each card to which all the pitch control voltages a summed (from one of micro controller's DAC outputs) if so then yes it could be done. It is unlikely since there are 2 oscillators with separate pitches. Very often the key pitch is feed into a different node to the other CVs, as indeed are the octave cv's. If this is the case the pitch wheel node may simply not provide enough range. Or extending the range may introduce 'difficult to calibrate out' pitch tracking errors. In the end there is flexibility because the CV's are computer generated. But my guess is such a change would require a fairly major rethink of how the P6 manages pitch. Really this request follows on from the need to support the fast developing new market for new controller techonolgy. Such as the Roli and the Linstrument. Here each voice needs to be a separate channel (like proper multi timbral poly mode) but in addition pitch control needs to be continuous rather than in descrete steps like current standard midi notes.
Big synth stuff: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkR38XLkFear5Sf9QypQvA
| Kurzweil Forte | Casio Privia PX 5s | Nord Electro 3 73 | Studiologic Sledge Black| Roland Juno Di | DSI Prophet 6 | Oberheim DPX 1 | EMU Esi 4000 | 2 x Yamaha Tx7 |

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2016, 09:07:23 AM »
Thanks Hector for all those details.

12 semitones is already really good. When I set both my P6 and the Linnstrument to 12 semitones, it allows me to play the P6 like a theremin (although much more accurately).

It also has a great mode where the lowest row on the controller acts like a very long pitch ribbon like on the CS-80.

I think the possible range for the pitch wheel will be governed by the hardware design. It may be that there is one node on each card to which all the pitch control voltages a summed (from one of micro controller's DAC outputs) if so then yes it could be done. It is unlikely since there are 2 oscillators with separate pitches. Very often the key pitch is feed into a different node to the other CVs, as indeed are the octave cv's. If this is the case the pitch wheel node may simply not provide enough range. Or extending the range may introduce 'difficult to calibrate out' pitch tracking errors. In the end there is flexibility because the CV's are computer generated. But my guess is such a change would require a fairly major rethink of how the P6 manages pitch. Really this request follows on from the need to support the fast developing new market for new controller techonolgy. Such as the Roli and the Linstrument. Here each voice needs to be a separate channel (like proper multi timbral poly mode) but in addition pitch control needs to be continuous rather than in descrete steps like current standard midi notes.

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2016, 01:46:26 AM »
I would also really like a 2 octave range on the pitch wheel.

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2016, 06:37:32 AM »
Would love a 24 step (or 36 step!) bend range.  Would definitely improve the integration of my DIY ribbon controller with my Prophet 6...

http://synthhacker.blogspot.com/2016/03/diy-midi-ribbon-controller.html

Chip

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2016, 01:18:24 AM »
I would like the pitch wheel to go up with 2 semitones and down with 12. That's not possible on the P6. For me that's really a bummer. Learned to play leads with these settings. Any idea of that could be fixed with an OS update?