My new Pro 3 has kind of "jumping" parameters sometimes

My new Pro 3 has kind of "jumping" parameters sometimes
« on: May 20, 2023, 01:54:48 PM »
Hi dear Sequential players :)

Have since yesterday my Pro 3. Was today much to try and explore. The synth sounds just terrific. The only thing I noticed is that the Pro 3 just "jump" parameters from time to time. Filter goes, for example, suddenly abruptly open. (I assume to the level which is dialed in on then front panel, but without touching anything). I don't think there is modulation involved. I thought first I accidentally come on the ribbon controller, but it was not. Does anyone of you know this? Do I have to worry? Tomorrow I will do a global reset and callibrate.
Does anyone else have any ideas?

Thank you!
Best regards from Germany
Ronald

Elric

• Peak Oil
Re: My new Pro 3 has kind of "jumping" parameters sometimes
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2023, 04:30:50 PM »

Yes, this happens (big jumps in value). It can happen if you use the 'Show' feature and turn a knob, then drop out of 'Show' and go back to editing. The dial/parameter you 'showed' can be very far off of the value stored in the patch, and then later the pot "finalizes" it's position it pops the value to a completely different number.

It seems to happen most with the Filter Cutoff. I guess because it's so high resolution.
:Elric:
Kurzweil K, Pro3, TX81z, K1r, Triton w/MOSS, Wavestation EX in a bag in the corner.

chysn

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2023, 05:07:45 PM »
This indicates a hardware issue and I, for one, wouldn't put up with it, especially if you just got it. Contact Sequential. They'll likely ask you to check and re-seat come internal ribbon cables. If it turns out the pot is faulty, get the synth replaced.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2023, 11:45:30 PM »
Thank you for your answer. I will contact Sequential today. Hope that can be sorted out, hopefully without exchanging the synth.

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2023, 08:00:43 AM »
I've had this happen from time to time, though otherwise my Pro 3 behaves just fine. Seems like when it first starts up, sometimes the software assumes very high values for several parameters e.g. filter wide open, or osc pitch +700 (seems like zero would be a better power-on default for that), so that when I first turn a knob which is a potentiometer (not an encoder) it may jump to that high value.

I now prefer relative pot mode, which reduces odd jumps, but still this power-on default of values seems to contribute to sudden jumps.

What I do: right after power-on, I turn every pot back and forth a little, so that I see the values change in the display. If any knob is way off from where I'd typically want it to be, I'll move it to that position. I don't care what values are shown after all the knob-turning or if they're way off from the program's values, because right after turning every knob, I change to another program. Now the software seems to be aware of program values and also where all the knobs are positioned - no more big-value jumps.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2023, 08:07:06 AM by KenM »

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2023, 07:22:12 AM »
Hi dear Sequential players :)

Have since yesterday my Pro 3. Was today much to try and explore. The synth sounds just terrific. The only thing I noticed is that the Pro 3 just "jump" parameters from time to time. Filter goes, for example, suddenly abruptly open. (I assume to the level which is dialed in on then front panel, but without touching anything). I don't think there is modulation involved. I thought first I accidentally come on the ribbon controller, but it was not. Does anyone of you know this? Do I have to worry? Tomorrow I will do a global reset and callibrate.
Does anyone else have any ideas?

Thank you!
Best regards from Germany
Ronald

Hey there, if you install to current OS with the previous Panel OS the jumpy encoders will be corrected. The filter is definitely hardware related. The filter knob is separate from the actual circuit board, it’s just a simple potentiometer with a single ribbon cable so it’s easy to replace that part alone. If they were to send you a replacement filter that would most likely fix that issue as well. But I’ll be honest with you, the SE version is not easy to get into, especially the top panel. I’ve done it and have pics if you need them but you have to go very slow and be careful doing this. PM me if you need assistance. All the best.

Regards