The only 2 synths that interested me at Superbooth.

The only 2 synths that interested me at Superbooth.
« on: May 18, 2023, 11:59:15 AM »
Modal Carbon8

"Carbon 8 employs over 40 complex waveform algorithms, and is geared towards the more aggressive and harsh modern spectrum of sounds. With two discrete oscillators, the Carbon 8 has a similar form factor to earlier Modal Synths, but has a new mixing stage with independent level controls for each oscillator.  Digital waveforms are generated in realtime, and can be cross-modulated using the new options of wave-folding, wave-shaping, and phase distortion. While the synth is in development, it  already boasts a total of 33 filters to give total control over sound shaping, a 512 note sequencer, arpeggiator and 26 effect algorithms."

I really love the sound of this. It reminds me of a Casio CZ synth and I like the fact it's not trying to sound analog at all but it is having it's own unique voice. I hope they do a desktop version like their other synths. Modal has been sort of on my peripheral. Nothing they've done so far has really sold me but if they start to get into things outside the virtual analog engines they've done then I'm all for it. Would love to see them do a dedicated FM synth. Perhaps even just a linear FM update on this might fit the bill.

The demo isn't fantastic (it's a prototype after all) but I do think there is something there.

https://youtu.be/MrSSA91xzwk?t=247

Tasty Chips GR-Mega Granular Workstation

"The GR Mega, a granular synthesizer designed for complex sound design based on samples. The GR Mega boasts many modulation options, a large mod matrix, four LFOs, 18 mod destinations, four envelopes (one freely assignable), and a step sequencer. The instrument also includes dual filters, low-pass and high-pass, seven effects (of which four can be used in parallel), and 128 presets. Peter explained that the grains in the synthesizer are generated from the samples and can be randomized in position and mixed together to create the final output."

I was a fan of the GR-1 but always felt it needed to be expanded on and it looks like that's exactly what the GR-Mega is doing. For some reason I'm getting strong vibes of the Fairlight CMI when listening to demos and with the addition of the 4 part multitimbral step sequencer I could certainly see this being a welcomed addition alongside the ISLA S2400 and Prophet X for my sampling needs (As well as the Sonicware Lo-Fi 12). While I'm not huge on granular stuff and would lkely use lightly modified raw samples, there is some really nice atmospheric strings and textures going on here with some of the sounds. Perfect for background pads.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2023, 12:40:11 PM by LoboLives »

Shaw

Re: The only 2 synths that interested me at Superbooth.
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2023, 07:52:51 PM »
Modal Carbon8

"Carbon 8 employs over 40 complex waveform algorithms, and is geared towards the more aggressive and harsh modern spectrum of sounds. With two discrete oscillators, the Carbon 8 has a similar form factor to earlier Modal Synths, but has a new mixing stage with independent level controls for each oscillator.  Digital waveforms are generated in realtime, and can be cross-modulated using the new options of wave-folding, wave-shaping, and phase distortion. While the synth is in development, it  already boasts a total of 33 filters to give total control over sound shaping, a 512 note sequencer, arpeggiator and 26 effect algorithms."

I really love the sound of this. It reminds me of a Casio CZ synth and I like the fact it's not trying to sound analog at all but it is having it's own unique voice. I hope they do a desktop version like their other synths. Modal has been sort of on my peripheral. Nothing they've done so far has really sold me but if they start to get into things outside the virtual analog engines they've done then I'm all for it. Would love to see them do a dedicated FM synth. Perhaps even just a linear FM update on this might fit the bill.

The demo isn't fantastic (it's a prototype after all) but I do think there is something there.

"The GR Mega, a granular synthesizer designed for complex sound design based on samples. The GR Mega boasts many modulation options, a large mod matrix, four LFOs, 18 mod destinations, four envelopes (one freely assignable), and a step sequencer. The instrument also includes dual filters, low-pass and high-pass, seven effects (of which four can be used in parallel), and 128 presets. Peter explained that the grains in the synthesizer are generated from the samples and can be randomized in position and mixed together to create the final output."

I was a fan of the GR-1 but always felt it needed to be expanded on and it looks like that's exactly what the GR-Mega is doing. For some reason I'm getting strong vibes of the Fairlight CMI when listening to demos and with the addition of the 4 part multitimbral step sequencer I could certainly see this being a welcomed addition alongside the ISLA S2400 and Prophet X for my sampling needs (As well as the Sonicware Lo-Fi 12). While I'm not huge on granular stuff and would lkely use lightly modified raw samples, there is some really nice atmospheric strings and textures going on here with some of the sounds. Perfect for background pads.

I haven’t looked at this unit, but just for comparison…

I really liked the granular engine of the Waldorf quantum/iridium. And you get the addition of multiple other types of synthesis to go along with the granular stuff. 

Omnisphere is also quite capable for granular (and you can load your own samples)
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2023, 08:38:41 PM »
Modal Carbon8

I haven’t looked at this unit, but just for comparison…

I really liked the granular engine of the Waldorf quantum/iridium. And you get the addition of multiple other types of synthesis to go along with the granular stuff. 

Omnisphere is also quite capable for granular (and you can load your own samples)

Honestly I couldn’t gel with the Quantum. I just feel it’s trying to do too many things at once without focusing and specializing in a specific form of synthesis.

Plus I like the fact this is four part multitimbral rather than the 2 in the Quantum.

It’s kind of funny I was so enamoured with older workstation sampler synths like the Fairlight and Synclavier and hoped for years we would see those companies bring out something new....now we have a new Synclavier and I just sort of feel “meh.” And I’m more interested in modern stuff like Maschine+, GR-Mega etc.

Still not really too interested in using Omnisphere. It’s another one of those things I never gelled with...plus I’m still trying to stay standalone hardware only.

Shaw

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2023, 12:51:55 AM »

Honestly I couldn’t gel with the Quantum. I just feel it’s trying to do too many things at once without focusing and specializing in a specific form of synthesis.

Plus I like the fact this is four part multitimbral rather than the 2 in the Quantum.

It’s kind of funny I was so enamoured with older workstation sampler synths like the Fairlight and Synclavier and hoped for years we would see those companies bring out something new....now we have a new Synclavier and I just sort of feel “meh.” And I’m more interested in modern stuff like Maschine+, GR-Mega etc.

Still not really too interested in using Omnisphere. It’s another one of those things I never gelled with...plus I’m still trying to stay standalone hardware only.

I found the Quantum to be rather intuitive... But yeah, lacks the multitimbrality that you are after.

Synclavier? Yeah... What the hell were they thinking with that (lack of) interface?  Sooooo disappointing.

Omnisphere… there are a lot of things to like about it, but if you don't want to use software… it's not for you.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2023, 12:53:53 AM by Shaw »
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

Shaw

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2023, 03:06:35 AM »
Lobo,

Have you seen this?   

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2023, 05:51:27 AM »
Lobo,

Have you seen this?   

Yeah I really dislike the interface.

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2023, 10:55:34 AM »
Not really much of a software synth guy, but I did invest in Omnisphere a few years ago because I saw how you can use your hardware synth to control the main parameters.    Never really thought about experimenting with granular till I got it thru this.  Omnisphere offers a lot of playground of features you might not otherwise invest in.  As a whole it sounds really good.
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2023, 11:23:46 AM »
Not really much of a software synth guy, but I did invest in Omnisphere a few years ago because I saw how you can use your hardware synth to control the main parameters.    Never really thought about experimenting with granular till I got it thru this.  Omnisphere offers a lot of playground of features you might not otherwise invest in.  As a whole it sounds really good.

No doubt. If they could somehow do Omnisphere in a hardware synth I'd be all over that.

Shaw

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2023, 08:58:38 PM »

No doubt. If they could somehow do Omnisphere in a hardware synth I'd be all over that.

Since Eric Persing started on hardware synths, that is not totally out of the realm of possibility.  Omnisphere in a hardware machine running on FPGA driven 96k audio engine… yeah, everyone would be all over that.  The best such design would probably be something close to the Quantum (a larger screen, some hardware encoders with dedicated functions — OSCs, Filters, LFOs — and other encoders that change in function based on what synth section is currently selected — envelopes, effects, modulations).

Side note:  I’m waiting for someone to figure out how to apply this concept ( https://mcdsp.com/apb/ ) to synthesizers:  Programmable Analogue Processors.  I’m Imagining an analogue version of the Nord Modular. 

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2023, 08:41:49 AM »
Only new thing that caught my attention was the UDO Super Gemini.