all my patches are gone !!!

all my patches are gone !!!
« on: May 18, 2023, 08:27:49 AM »
Hi !
I have programmed almost 30 of my best patches ever.
A few minutes ago, patch number 146 was written then when I tried to save 147, I heard some kind of static through my headphones.
Patch 147 was no more,  instead I hear some random noise. Then I realize with horror that  all my patches from 111 to 147 are gone and replaced by some random parameters. Factory patches seem to be doing fine  and curiously patches above 150 are ok too. Only the sounds that matter to me are gone. I think I'm going to puke...

Of course I have no backup since I thought I had plenty of time and free memory slots.

Is there, by any chance, a way to restore the memory ? WTF just happened ?
Anyone has experienced that ?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2023, 09:16:11 AM by pixie »

Re: all my patches are gone !!!
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2023, 09:49:00 AM »
Sorry to hear that, I feel your pain. It’s awful when that happens. I haven’t heard of that particular issue before. Was there a power surge or brownout while you were saving?

I lost a whole bunch of patches last year due to a bug whereby if the “factory” button is illuminated then the factory patches get sent via SysEx instead of the user patches when performing a user dump. I backed up my patches (or so I thought) and then loaded up some others to play test. When I went to load my own patches back on, I was horrified to learn that they were just the factory ones. 

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2023, 10:54:52 AM »
There was no power surge. I heard a static at the exact moment I depressed the patch number in order to write the memory.
Lesson learnt... the hard way. From now I will dump my sysex every 8 patches

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2023, 11:59:33 AM »
Hi !
I have programmed almost 30 of my best patches ever.
A few minutes ago, patch number 146 was written then when I tried to save 147, I heard some kind of static through my headphones.
Patch 147 was no more,  instead I hear some random noise. Then I realize with horror that  all my patches from 111 to 147 are gone and replaced by some random parameters. Factory patches seem to be doing fine  and curiously patches above 150 are ok too. Only the sounds that matter to me are gone. I think I'm going to puke...

Of course I have no backup since I thought I had plenty of time and free memory slots.

Is there, by any chance, a way to restore the memory ? WTF just happened ?
Anyone has experienced that ?

I did have this exact thing happen a few weeks ago. Fortunately I was in the middle of moving patches around and had just done a sysex backup so nothing was lost. But it happened just like you described and scambled all of the 100 group.

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2023, 03:04:12 PM »
Could it have been caused by a mobile phone near the synth? They spit out location signals regularly.

Were you connected to a PC at the time? Could it have been something coming down the usb cable?

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2023, 12:55:15 AM »
Well... I'm not really subscribing to the mobile phone theory and can't see why location signal would be related. FWIW i wasn't on the phone when it happened, and the phone wasn't in my pocket but somewhere in the appartment.
Regarding the USB cable, it's not even plugged in since I have noticed some buzz in the sound signal with it.

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2023, 01:59:18 AM »
Well... I'm not really subscribing to the mobile phone theory and can't see why location signal would be related. FWIW i wasn't on the phone when it happened, and the phone wasn't in my pocket but somewhere in the appartment.
Regarding the USB cable, it's not even plugged in since I have noticed some buzz in the sound signal with it.

I was just thinking about possibilities. Might be that you just have a defective unit. I’d advise emailing sequential support and seeing what they say.

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2023, 03:53:46 PM »
Similar happened to me this morning - but had just a copy of the factory patches there.

But now I am afraid that my unit has a problem - hope it’s just a FW bug…
« Last Edit: August 03, 2023, 03:55:56 PM by waxdoctor »

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2023, 03:32:47 AM »
+1

I had exactly the same problem 3 days ago on my P5 keyboard.
All the patches from 111 to 148 where gone suddenly after recording a new sound.
There is now instead some kind of basic program with saw and/or noise.

I took a look on the OS version and it was 2.0.0 and 1.1.0
(Just to says, my P5 is new, I bought it in April 2023)
So I did yesterday an update to 2.0.1 and 1.1.1

Hope it will fix the issue…

What OS version is installed on yours ?
Did someone already reported this problem to Sequential ?

(This issue was well known on Prophet 5 Rev1. It’s quite ironic to have it back on the Rev4)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2023, 04:35:04 AM by Fullmost80 »

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2023, 10:02:44 AM »
Similar happened to me this morning - but had just a copy of the factory patches there.

my unit was/is on OS 2.0.4/1.1.3

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2023, 06:39:49 PM »

my unit was/is on OS 2.0.4/1.1.3

Weird.
Let's hope it won't happen again...

gus

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2023, 08:55:59 AM »
For anyone who has experienced this issue, please write in to support@sequential.com and let us know the details. We've only seen two reports of this, so it would help to get more data - losing any number of patches is the worst, and I'm sorry for anyone who has had to deal with this! As always, we recommend running the latest OS and backing up data frequently.
Sequential | Oberheim

chysn

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2023, 12:50:19 PM »
Partially as a result of this thread, I've developed a super-simple backup procedure for my Prophet 5.

I use an app called Sysex Base for iPhone. Hardware-wise, I have a CME WIDI Jack (a Bluetooth MIDI interface) connected to the MIDI In and Out of the Prophet 5. In Sysex Base's setup screen, I select Bluetooth MIDI > Connect to Device, and choose iCloud under Sysex File Storage.

Now whenever I've made a few patches, I beam a "USR" dump from my P5 to my iPhone. It just takes a few seconds, and gives me a little peace-of-mind, with no need to drag a computer into it. If I want to do anything with the patches on my computer, I just download the file from iCloud.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/sysex-base/id1004689966
https://www.cme-pro.com/widi-jack/
« Last Edit: August 18, 2023, 12:56:26 PM by chysn »
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his