Preset Indicator?

Preset Indicator?
« on: May 17, 2023, 03:03:45 PM »
I have a desktop on the way and have never been more excited for a piece of gear in my life.

Is there a way to determine knob preset values on the x8?
The OB-6 does a great job at this with a small "." on the LED after you move a knob. The "." appears when the knob alligns with the original preset value. It's been super helpful for me when learning how different parameters affect each other.

I know that "edited" will appear on screen, but is there a way to determine the specific preset parameters like there is on the OB6?

Thanks everyone!

Re: Preset Indicator?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2023, 07:22:46 PM »
SoundTower OB-X8 SoundEditor software.

https://soundtower.com/obx8/obx8_download.html

g3o2

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2023, 04:03:55 AM »
It does not seem like it would have this indication by parameter (searched through the manual). If confirmed, this would be surprising because, with the screen, this is very easy to implement. It would be equally convenient to show the current pot’s value on screen, with a dot or star next to it whenever the position is equal to saved state. Maybe something for a future firmware …

At this moment, passthru pot mode looks like the closest you can get for guessing the actual preset pot positions. Not very precise though, for you have to set each pot by ear. For live performance, you’d probably also want to switch back to either relative or jump pot modes.

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2023, 01:48:24 PM »
It does not seem like it would have this indication by parameter (searched through the manual). If confirmed, this would be surprising because, with the screen, this is very easy to implement. It would be equally convenient to show the current pot’s value on screen, with a dot or star next to it whenever the position is equal to saved state. Maybe something for a future firmware …

At this moment, passthru pot mode looks like the closest you can get for guessing the actual preset pot positions. Not very precise though, for you have to set each pot by ear. For live performance, you’d probably also want to switch back to either relative or jump pot modes.

I use this as my workaround for the rev2. Thanks for the info!
I'll send this along to support just so they have a record for potential feature upgrades in the past.

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2023, 03:06:25 PM »
Response from support. Looks like it's being considered! 

At the moment, there is only the 'edited' text to indicate changes to a stored patch. That said, param indicators was one of the most requested features from customers for the keyboard version. I can't say if/when it would be implemented, but it will certainly be considered for forthcoming OS updates. This feature would likely mirror our other display-less instruments, and show a dot when a saved parameter is passed.

g3o2

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2023, 03:43:23 PM »
Good to know, thanks 8)

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2023, 10:11:50 AM »
Glad it's being considered. Invaluable feature IMO.

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2023, 08:12:43 PM »
Hey everyone,
I picked up the desktop today (!) and confirming IT HAS THE PRESET INDICATOR. When you pass by where the knob value starts the screen displays a "*" next to the preset name.

I'm sure this will make its way to the keyboard version asap.

Hope this helps!

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2023, 02:16:16 AM »
That’s good news. If the OB-X8 is like other sequential products then the firmware will be the same for desktop and keyboard so should hopefully be available right now.

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2023, 11:41:42 AM »

When you pass by where the knob value starts the screen displays a "*" next to the preset name.

With the OB-X8 having an OLED display (more flexible than the LED ones), it would be awesome if they could implement it with ">", "*", "<" to display which direction to dial to get the right value.

g3o2

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2023, 02:00:43 PM »
Nah, that’s not needed. Asis, it is totally usable. At least on my Prophet 10 desktop, it is perfect. Most often, you don’t need it and when you do it is very fast.