Tap Tempo issue for live tempo matching

Tap Tempo issue for live tempo matching
« on: May 17, 2023, 11:58:12 AM »
Hey all - I noticed something strange with the Rev2 tap tempo function. I read the manual thoroughly and it doesn't give details on this so hoping someone more experienced can chime in as to whether this is normal or a bug or user incompetence (quite possible).

I'm performing a pre-made sequence live and need it to stay locked to a drummer (we're playing off-click). So I need to occasionally tap the tempo to keep the sequence lined up manually if it starts to drift a hair. The tap tempo works fine for the first four taps and sets the tempo correctly. However, when I need to tap the tempo again to align the sequence later in the song, the first tap sets the tempo to its lowest value (30bpm), which basically stops the sequence altogether and makes a jarring break as the tempo jumps around. The only possible solution I've found is to tap the button every beat, which isn't possible as I need to adjust parameters in real time while the sequence plays back.

It seems like the tap tempo is still tracking the (long) gap between taps #4 and #5 in this scenario and it's odd that it wouldn't just reset after tap #4 and await a new set of 4 taps to set a new tempo (the manual seems to suggest this, saying "for best results, tap the button 4 times" or something to that effect). Most tap tempos I've used (eg in delay pedals) respond to 2 consecutive taps and don't indefinitely track making it possible to align the tempo at any point in the performance without the tempo jumping. Is there a way to do this on the Rev2? Would seem like a strange oversight in an otherwise well thought out instrument and I feel like it would have come up more often with so many of us using it live. But couldn't find any other folks who have run into this.

Also checked the firmware, it's up to date with 1.2. Thanks in advance for any insight you may have!