OBX8 Desktop official

« Last Edit: May 24, 2023, 03:43:56 PM by cbmd »

Re: OBXA Desktop official
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2023, 10:24:26 AM »
Nice. Very nice. Layers and layers of Oberheim sound. Goooood. Gooood.

Thank you for listening, Oberheim!
Oberheim is the Rolls Royce of analog synthesizers in terms of sound! OB-Xa, OB-8, TVS-Pro Black, SEM patch, Matrix-6r, Matrix-1000, and an OB-X8.

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2023, 11:05:30 AM »
$3,499.00

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2023, 11:22:43 AM »
Transpose buttons on the desktop. Brilliant touch. This should be on all the desktops.

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2023, 02:55:29 PM »
Transpose buttons on the desktop. Brilliant touch. This should be on all the desktops.

I'm guessing they included them because the transpose on the X8 works a little differently than other synths. I've noticed that transpose settings are saved with the preset, unlike other sequential synths. And while it does actually transpose the notes being sent to the synth (ie. not just the osc pitch, but filter key tracking is affected too etc.) on the keyboard version the transpose doesn't actually affect the midi out signal. So it's transposing after that.

LPF83

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2023, 03:19:09 PM »
I will be picking one of these up.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

LPF83

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2023, 04:56:00 PM »
Also, with regard to dimensions... holy cow, 22" long!  That's one serious desktop module :)  It's going to dwarf any other desktop modules I have.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2023, 09:06:00 PM »
I'm not in the market for this - or for the keyboard version - but as far as desktop modules go, this is really a gorgeous machine.

LPF83

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2023, 04:42:17 AM »
I'm not in the market for this - or for the keyboard version - but as far as desktop modules go, this is really a gorgeous machine.

I completely agree; cosmetically I think they knocked it out of the park when they decided to make the upper row of controls black.  Even though it probably wasn't an intentionally cosmetic decision as much as a way to categorize purpose of the section, it adds something that brings an old school vibe to it, as it resembles the heat sink housing of the original OB-X.

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2023, 04:59:21 AM »
I’m scratching my head as to how one assigns/enables velocity and aftertouch without the dedicated buttons from the keyboard version.

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2023, 07:48:41 AM »
Hate to be the party pooper but those knobs look suspiciously like the ones on the OB-6. For this price I’d be hoping they’ve sorted out the wobbly knob issue!

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2023, 12:00:58 PM »
Hate to be the party pooper but those knobs look suspiciously like the ones on the OB-6. For this price I’d be hoping they’ve sorted out the wobbly knob issue!
It’s all down to whether they’re bolted to the chassis like the keyboard version. I imagine they will be, as the P5/10 ones were across both formats.

LPF83

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2023, 03:06:13 PM »
I’m scratching my head as to how one assigns/enables velocity and aftertouch without the dedicated buttons from the keyboard version.

Page 2 maybe?

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2023, 09:00:30 PM »
Can I get confirmation that the OB-X8 Desktop responds to polyphonic aftertouch over MIDI?

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2023, 07:50:53 AM »
Can I get confirmation that the OB-X8 Desktop responds to polyphonic aftertouch over MIDI?

I don't think the OBX8 responds to it yet either.

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2023, 09:27:23 AM »

Yes the OB-X8 responds to polyAT over MIDI, surely the desktop will too.

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2023, 12:53:53 PM »

Yes the OB-X8 responds to polyAT over MIDI, surely the desktop will too.

https://youtu.be/uxSpKIjLKVA

4:20 Channel aftertouch only? Oh well, that kills it for me...hopefully he is mistaken.

g3o2

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2023, 03:14:45 PM »
In the OB-X8 manual, one can see MIDI Messages Received channel messages: both polyphonic key pressure and channel pressure. So my guess is that the OB-X8 should be able to __respond__ to polyAT. Naturally, this kind of message cannot be sent by the OB-X8’s own keyboard but will have to be sent by a polyphonic pressure, aka polyAT, capable controller. The P10 also responds to polyAT (I have tested this with a Linnstrument and Osmose) and it is a nice feature to have, indeed.

Edit: I have just cross-checked with the P10 MIDI implementation chart, which looks the same as OB-X8’s as regards channel AT and polyAT. So polyAT should be on the OB-X8’s menu in a manner of speaking.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2023, 03:26:49 PM by g3o2 »

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2023, 09:17:46 PM »
In the OB-X8 manual, one can see MIDI Messages Received channel messages: both polyphonic key pressure and channel pressure. So my guess is that the OB-X8 should be able to __respond__ to polyAT.
Sequential/Oberheim synths have pretty much always responded to PolyAT over MIDI, but I have been burned before regarding it being in the manual (or promised as an upgrade) vs actually implemented. Mr. Calcutt saying otherwise gives me pause...I would want to make sure because lack of it is an absolute deal-killer for me.

g3o2

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2023, 07:02:15 AM »
For the Prophet rev 4, it is both in the manual and in the device. For the OB-X8 keyboard it is in the manual, so I guess it is also in the device. For OB-X8 desktop, I see no reason why this feature would then be specifically excluded.

As to why Mr Calcutt said otherwise, I speculate that it was just a spontaneous confusion. In MPE mode (absent on OB-X8), channel AT is used for polyphonic expression and not polyAT, while in non-MPE mode you’d probably want polyAT rather than channel AT.