Firmware 1.1.1.0 critical silent voices bug

Firmware 1.1.1.0 critical silent voices bug
« on: December 22, 2023, 11:29:27 AM »
Hello.

Recently I have updated to 1.1.1.0

Weirdly I started to obtain partial or FULL silent voices unless I do a full calibration.

After a full calibration is done I have all the 8 voices.

Turning the synth off for a 5 minutes seems fine, but for a few hours and turning ON again again makes all the voices silent.

Quick TUNE button only partially restores some voices.

Needless to say how annoying is that.

Could anyone share lower firmware versions so I could downgrade?

Re: Firmware 1.1.1.0 critical silent voices bug
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2023, 12:29:58 PM »
V1.0.0.7 is pinned at the top of this forum ...

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2023, 12:46:02 PM »
Hello.

Recently I have updated to 1.1.1.0

Weirdly I started to obtain partial or FULL silent voices unless I do a full calibration.

After a full calibration is done I have all the 8 voices.

Turning the synth off for a 5 minutes seems fine, but for a few hours and turning ON again again makes all the voices silent.

Quick TUNE button only partially restores some voices.

Needless to say how annoying is that.

Could anyone share lower firmware versions so I could downgrade?
Did you also reset the globals after the installation? This is a critical necessary step.

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2023, 12:11:10 AM »

Did you also reset the globals after the installation? This is a critical necessary step.
[/quote]

Good point! Yesterday I did that and today powered up the unit again and all the voices WORKED FINE!

I had a terrible day of having that issue summed with another one as one of the channels of headphones output stopped working for me so I had a double trouble.
Headphones out LEFT seems dead so far, but at least main outs work as expected now.

You can't imagine a dissapointment I literally was hearing how the VCA or filters were opening with silent 'umppfff' but no with sounds. Final reset after global calibration did the trick. Thank you

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2023, 04:28:41 AM »
Glad it worked. One always needs to reset globals after a firmware update. I also remember another user having precisely this problem after an update.

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2023, 10:24:46 AM »
Glad it worked. One always needs to reset globals after a firmware update. I also remember another user having precisely this problem after an update.

Seems I have another issue with the voices.

Basically all the voices work fine after global tune + global settings reset.

However once I do a fast TUNING with the button - voices may go silent on next power up - unless I do a GLOBAL long TUNE via menu + globals reset.

Basically that TUNE button became useless and makes synth unreliable. Will observe and tell more soon

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2023, 10:49:56 AM »

However once I do a fast TUNING with the button - voices may go silent on next power up - unless I do a GLOBAL long TUNE via menu + globals reset.

Basically that TUNE button became useless and makes synth unreliable. Will observe and tell more soon
Try erasing the tuning tables.

Could be that there’s some corrupt data there from having done the update without having reset the globals and then having populated the tables (by pressing tune).

Best to start fresh with them.

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2024, 04:04:35 PM »

Could be that there’s some corrupt data there from having done the update without having reset the globals and then having populated the tables (by pressing tune).

Just got a new OB-X8.  Updated OS to 1.1.1. Did full calibration, and reset global parameters. Having the same issue as user described above with no sound after hitting the "tune" button.  When I turn the synth off and back on, no sound. 

How do you erase the tuning tables on the OB-X8?
« Last Edit: January 01, 2024, 04:09:20 PM by rajprods »

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2024, 06:11:17 PM »

Just got a new OB-X8.  Updated OS to 1.1.1. Did full calibration, and reset global parameters. Having the same issue as user described above with no sound after hitting the "tune" button.  When I turn the synth off and back on, no sound. 

How do you erase the tuning tables on the OB-X8?

I turned off the synth and turned it back on 1 hour later.  Still no sound.  Hit the tune button, and it started calibrating.  Then the process froze.  Been sitting like this for over 10 mins.

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2024, 12:49:59 PM »
From the Troubleshooting section of the manual:

D. Clear Oscillator/Filter Calibration

Clear Calibration: Enter the DEBUG menu by holding TRANSPOSE UP + DOWN and pressing GLOBAL.
Make sure the first option, ‘Clear Cal’ is selected, then press WRITE.
The display will exit the debug menu, indicating that calibration has been cleared.
Note that no on-screen confirmation of the clearing will be displayed.
After clearing calibration, be sure to run the ‘Full Calibration’ option from the Global Menu.

« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2024, 01:07:20 AM »
Hello,

I solved it with these steps:

RESETTING THE GLOBAL PARAMETERS
You must reset the Global parameters of the OB-X8 after you update the OS.
Press the Global button.
Use the Scroll Knob to select Reset Globals, then press the Write button.

CLEAR CALIBRATION
You must clear calibration and run full calibration after any OS update.
Hold Transpose Up + Down and press the Global button.
Select the first option to Clear Calibration and press Write.
From here, run full calibration following the steps below.

RUN FULL CALIBRATION
Please run the full calibration Global option after you update the OS.
Press the Global button.
Use the Scroll knob to select Full Calibration, then press the Write button.
The synthesizer performs its auto-calibration procedure. Do not turn off the power while it is doing this.
When finished, the front panel controls return to normal, and you can play the OB-X8 again.

« Last Edit: February 29, 2024, 01:50:47 AM by Thelo »