Prophet 6 and velocity sensitivity

llest

Prophet 6 and velocity sensitivity
« on: May 05, 2023, 10:48:46 PM »
Hi!

Prophet-6's velocity sensitivity isn't that good when playing really quiet notes, compared to Prophet 08, for example. I quite often get completely silent notes. In case of Prophet 08 (and also Pro 3) I can set the minimum loudness with amp envelope amount. But Prophet 6 seems to work in a different way—there's just this one "velocity sensitivity on/off" button. Or am I missing something or is it just my sh*tty keyboard playing skills..? :)

Thanks!

Lauri

synthRodriguez

• Yamaha CS-series synthesizer repair services.
Re: Prophet 6 and velocity sensitivity
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2023, 04:27:11 PM »
There are the 7 velocity curves, have you tried them all to see if it makes a difference?

Even with a midi velocity of 1 from an external controller I get notes to sound, at least with short attack times. It could be a combination of velocity curve selection and patch envelope setup.

I've had some vintage gear do what you're saying as I play very softly and lightly, but I've never had that issue with the Prophet 6. Are you running the latest OS? As a last resort you might try clearing the calibration table, although I don't know if there are any related parameter variables in there that would effect velocity. Food for thought anyway.

llest

Re: Prophet 6 and velocity sensitivity
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2023, 04:39:50 AM »
Thank you for your comments!

There are the 7 velocity curves, have you tried them all to see if it makes a difference?

Even with a midi velocity of 1 from an external controller I get notes to sound, at least with short attack times. It could be a combination of velocity curve selection and patch envelope setup.

I've had some vintage gear do what you're saying as I play very softly and lightly, but I've never had that issue with the Prophet 6. Are you running the latest OS? As a last resort you might try clearing the calibration table, although I don't know if there are any related parameter variables in there that would effect velocity. Food for thought anyway.