All Things ARP Odyssey

Re: Desktop Korg Arp Odyssey
« Reply #60 on: October 12, 2016, 11:52:36 PM »
Years ago I worked with Creamware on an ingest system for radio, they were nice to work with. Shame it all went wrong for them.

I have also worked with Avid on a couple of projects, who are not nice at all.

The day Avid goes down the pan will be when I crack open a bottle of champagne.

LoboLives

« Reply #61 on: November 28, 2016, 06:44:48 PM »
I was contemplating getting two modules and sequencing them but I couldn't find a decent enough sequencer so I'll probably spend more to get the Oberheim Two Voice Pro to do my sequencing.

« Reply #62 on: November 29, 2016, 09:39:28 AM »
I don't care about the past influences of the Odyssey on music.  The nostalgia potential means nothing to me.  I simply want an instrument that sounds exactly like, and performs just as well as, the Odysseys I had many years ago.  I preferred their sonic character to that of Moog and all the other synthesizers I once owned or played.  But since the instrument has only one LFO, it had better work properly. 

I had an 2nd Series Odyssey back in the day and loved it.   I bought a KARP Odyssey last year with the mini keys.  When I started programming it I said to myself "This really is an Odyssey!".  The mini keys really distract from the instrument, however.  For me, the keys are practically worthless.  I think Korg really blew it by shrinking the classic.  For the most part, I use the KARP through a controller.   If I want pitch bend and modulation, I reluctantly go back to playing that poor excuse of a keyboard. 

Regarding the sound, it really is an Odyssey.  You will really enjoy it.  Given that the keys are virtually worthless, the module will be the better bet.  I'm not sure I would get the module as a replacement for my KARP until it allows control by a modulation wheel.   
Jim Thorburn .  Toys-  Dave Smith: Prophet 5, Rev 4; Prophet 08; Pro 2; Prophet 12 module; EastWest Orchestral soft synths; Yamaha S-90; Yamaha Montage 8, Yamaha DX-7; KARP Odyssey; Ensoniq ESQ-1.  All run through a Cubase DAW with a Tascam DM-24 board.

Sacred Synthesis

Re: All Things ARP Odyssey
« Reply #63 on: September 22, 2022, 10:05:28 AM »
« Last Edit: September 22, 2022, 10:08:08 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #64 on: September 22, 2022, 11:21:48 AM »
https://alanrpearlmanfoundation.org/product/arp-odyssey-freke-poster/

I'm pretty sure that this poster alone guarantees neither of us will ever sell our Odysseys!

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #65 on: September 22, 2022, 11:33:56 AM »
I'm certainly inclined not to.  I still love the ARP sound, in spite of some difficulties with the Odyssey.  But I have another favorite Odyssey poster:
« Last Edit: September 22, 2022, 05:15:11 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #66 on: November 07, 2022, 08:01:58 AM »
The Odyssey, plus the Pro Soloist and 2600.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVkkNlGt_6Q

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #67 on: November 14, 2022, 12:17:29 PM »
I stumbled across this stand on Ebay - perfect for two Odyssey modules, but many other devices as well.  About $112.  They offer other stand configurations as well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/154680002195
« Last Edit: November 14, 2022, 12:25:51 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #68 on: November 14, 2022, 12:23:04 PM »
I stumbled across this stand on Ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/154680002195

Funny timing, as I just re-jigged my studio last night, pulling my Odyssey module down from the A-frame it'd been living on. Trying to find a nicer place for it, closer to hand. However, £95 makes it easy for me to keep looking!

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #69 on: November 14, 2022, 12:27:21 PM »
But think how happy your Odyssey Module would be sleeping each night in its very own synth bed.  You have to baby these instruments if they're to sound good. :)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2022, 12:30:29 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #70 on: November 14, 2022, 12:41:46 PM »
But think how happy your Odyssey Module would be sleeping each night in its very own synth bed.  You have to baby these instruments if they're to sound good. :)

True. But at the moment, I haven't any desk space. When I was living between two countries, I had two consolidated set-ups. Now that I'm back full-time in California, living on my wife's farm, I have a comfortable, "just big enough" small studio, but twice as much gear in one place than I'm used to! I've taken to rotating certain items that I don't otherwise use daily but that I wouldn't want to part with, including my Evolver. I'll bring something up from the basement and record with it for a few days, then bring it back down to the dungeon. The Odyssey is a synth I'd rather work with more than less, but I'm gonna have to knock out a wall at this point just to plug it in!

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #71 on: February 27, 2023, 07:41:21 PM »
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/OdysseyFSKit--arp-odyssey-fs-analog-synth-diy-kit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgN-pE5wZ2I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1b3EdlEJLY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2asiJ95zOyE

If this Odyssey kit weren't a whopping $1,800, I'd sell one of my modules and buy one.  But as it is, the price is too steep.  One might as well get a 2600M for only another $200.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2023, 06:16:22 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #72 on: February 27, 2023, 08:27:24 PM »
Just last night I re-jigged my studio, partly to give me better access to my Odyssey module. It's now to the left of the Moog Grandmother, controlled from said Moog. I don't have any spare studio inches, so everything has to make sense in several directions. Not having the ARP set up in proximity to a keyboard controller, as has been the case here for a while now, has meant it's not had much of my attention. I've never fallen for the Odyssey as deeply as I expected and I think my having the module version and not the keyboard model is a big reason why. Any synth I have that's not got a keyboard tends to get neglected, even if I love the tone. I'm pretty certain this is a long-winded way of saying I wish the full size version was an option in my rig!

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #73 on: February 27, 2023, 08:51:22 PM »
I've had a similar experience.  I love the Odyssey for its sound and capabilities, but lacking an actual keyboard version has made it seem rather distant and impersonal.  Using a MIDI Keyboard controller hasn't helped this one bit.  I've often thought that a keyboard version coupled with a module version would nicely solve the problem. 

« Reply #74 on: February 28, 2023, 07:39:45 PM »
I have the karp odyssey with the mini keys. I got it when it first came out. The full size version hadn’t been released.
I think it was expensive for what it is.  Both the mini keys and the full size version.  They should have released the full size version first and made it less expensive.  Mini keys  are a bad idea. I know you can midi other keyboards and use them as a master controller to control the odyssey as the slave.  Mini keys is a deal breaker for me although I purchased the odyssey not realizing there would be a full sized version released. In hindsight I realize the odyssey was a nostalgia buy and doesn’t really have features like memory and stereo outs which is something I  prefer even though I know the odyssey was a reissue of a 70s analog mono synth with midi.

jg666

« Reply #75 on: March 01, 2023, 01:11:16 AM »
At the price it is, the build your own Odyssey feels like a bit of a gimmick to me. If it was a better price it would be worth it in my opinion.
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #76 on: March 01, 2023, 05:59:31 AM »
I agree.  Korg should give buyers a discount for the labor.  But I wish they'd re-release the Odyssey FS again in finished form. 

« Reply #77 on: March 01, 2023, 06:04:44 AM »
I agree.  Korg should give buyers a discount for the labor.  But I wish they'd re-release the Odyssey FS again in finished form.

Only the assembled model was somewhat discounted, since quite a few were sold off for $1200 or even less in the end.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #78 on: March 01, 2023, 06:11:39 AM »
Oh, if only.  $1,200 would be a bargain for these times.

The original price of the Module version was reasonable.  I believe it was $600, which is the reason I was able to buy two.  But adding an astronomical amount to that cost merely for a three-octave keyboard - and a fairly poor one - is ridiculous.  But if the FS appeared again for $1,200, I might just sell one module and buy it.  Sometimes there doesn't seem to be any way around the ridiculous.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2023, 06:53:00 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #79 on: May 20, 2023, 09:53:43 PM »
I have a Korg Arp slim key version odyssey. Great sounding synth just don’t like the slim keys. I saw that Korg is offering the FS Korg Odyssey version 3 kit for $1800 bucks. The B odyssey is $600 dollars
Full size, sequencer , effects. Was wondering if any one has the B odyssey and what might be the pros and cons of the B odyssey. I’m interested in a full size odyssey. Thanks