All Things ARP Odyssey

Re: Desktop Korg Arp Odyssey
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2016, 05:07:54 PM »
I was less convinced by the honey-I-shrunk-the-Arp version, but the desktop version (and its filter-by-version flexibility) overrides any issues with regard to the changes introduced with MIDI support, including the retrigger issue above. I no longer bear it any Casio-resemblant ill will for its itty-bitty keys!

Plus - I have an extremely soft spot for the Odyssey's role in shaping the late 70s-early 80s synth scene:

Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2016, 07:53:20 PM »
I don't care about the past influences of the Odyssey on music.  The nostalgia potential means nothing to me.  I simply want an instrument that sounds exactly like, and performs just as well as, the Odysseys I had many years ago.  I preferred their sonic character to that of Moog and all the other synthesizers I once owned or played.  But since the instrument has only one LFO, it had better work properly. 

I basically understand the issue raised on VSE, but I don't know exactly how it would translate into daily use, how it would actually sound.  A shaky or inconsistent modulation?  That could be a problem for some one who will be using only the Odyssey's sweeter, smoother, more melodious side.  Would it affect the LFO in other ways, or is it limited only to using LFO regulated repeat?  If Korg cut some imprudent corners, then I'm ready to move on, but for now I'll keep watch.  On the other hand, I haven't seen any other discussion about this LFO issue; no one else seems to be alarmed or posting about it, so I wonder if it really is a serious problem. 

The same VSE poster added similar posts to the Korg Forum and Electro-Music, but no one has responded to either since late 2015.

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=100224&highlight=&sid=c5da65131c88d14f677fdd2b48b02a43

http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-65191.html

« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 08:25:06 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2016, 08:23:41 PM »
Unless you're planning on mimicking the behavior of a repeat-triggered sequence, I don't think that this is a problem, when used as a modulator.

As for nostalgia - as an organist with experience in instrument restoration and MIDIfication, I am not oblivious to the notion, though it would be daft to assume that one exists within a historical vacuum, isolated from the effects of the past*. (I think that your solo synthesizer repertoire discussion affirms that point, if not sideways.)

* - the same applies to modern influences vis-a-vis the early music practitioner
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 08:29:22 PM by DavidDever »
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2016, 08:39:42 PM »
...It would be daft to assume that one exists within a historical vacuum, isolated from the effects of the past. (I think that your solo synthesizer repertoire discussion affirms that point, if not sideways.)

Correct.  I certainly wouldn't make such a claim, as if the past has had no influence on me.  It has, for better or worse.  I simply meant that my preference for the Odyssey is a matter of music and not memories.  Nor am I claiming that your case is mere nostalgia.  If that's how you took my post, then I apologize for poorly expressing myself.  But you hinted at the idea, and I jumped at it because some times folks get testy towards those of us who like vintage instruments and old school synthesis, as if we're blinded by irrational nostalgia.  My response is, "No, we are not.  We're simply interested in any instrument - old or new - that serves our purposes."  And if there's one comforting advantage to vintage instruments, it's that they've been thoroughly vetted and every shortcoming found.  It's always nice to know what you're getting into.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 09:11:48 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2016, 08:47:06 PM »
Poking around the forums in search of information on this LFO/repeat issue, I did come across one predictable comment: a person sympathized with those poor folks who have purchased a flawed Odyssey re-issue, while he gave a sigh of relief that he owned an old original Odyssey with no such flaws.  I knew some one would say it.

Jeepers, maybe the prices of used Odysseys are about to go up!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 08:49:40 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2016, 06:22:40 PM »
I was less convinced by the honey-I-shrunk-the-Arp version, but the desktop version (and its filter-by-version flexibility) overrides any issues with regard to the changes introduced with MIDI support, including the retrigger issue above. I no longer bear it any Casio-resemblant ill will for its itty-bitty keys!

Plus - I have an extremely soft spot for the Odyssey's role in shaping the late 70s-early 80s synth scene:

This friendly reminder made me dig out "Metamatic" again yesterday. ;)

« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2016, 04:51:23 PM »

This friendly reminder made me dig out "Metamatic" again yesterday. ;)

Ah Yes. !!
John Foxx in all his Synthesizer glory!!
Not that I am getting nostalgic or anything!!  :P
Tim

« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2016, 04:17:10 AM »
Ah Yes. !!

Definitely a great album featuring a neat minimal setup at its core (ARP Odyssey + Sequencer, Elka Rhapsody, and a Roland CR-78). John Foxx and Gareth Jones also did a great job on the production.

« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2016, 04:22:05 AM »
Ah Yes. !!

Definitely a great album featuring a neat minimal setup at its core (ARP Odyssey + Sequencer, Elka Rhapsody, and a Roland CR-78). John Foxx and Gareth Jones also did a great job on the production.

For sure!!

Although listening to John Foxx's last band before he went solo Ultravox and the album "Vienna" is almost 180 degrees opposite in regards to the amount of equipment used and the production value on it!

Anyway not to deflect from the Korg Arp desktop thread.... 8)

Tim

« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2016, 05:09:35 AM »
Although listening to John Foxx's last band before he went solo Ultravox and the album "Vienna" is almost 180 degrees opposite in regards to the amount of equipment used and the production value on it!

Well, Ultravox went kitsch and that was that.

« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2016, 05:12:16 AM »

Two words: Conrad Plank.

« Reply #51 on: October 11, 2016, 05:18:04 AM »

Two words: Conrad Plank.

Not sure if I would make Conny Plank responsible for the song writing. He was a great producer, totally underrated.

« Reply #52 on: October 11, 2016, 07:04:51 AM »
Again to distract from the Korg/ARP desktop synth...

To my own listening as much as I really enjoy the rawness of John Foxx's "Metamatic" (especially the CR78/808 high tom 8th runs!!.. That really was part of the 80's) I still think that Ultravox's Vienna captures the best of what production was achievable at that time.
I am no expert I should say but Conni Plank on production did a marvelous job in this album!

I saw a doco on you tube once with Midge ure showing off the Mini moog that did that "Vienna" bassline..cool!

That was without Billie Currie's massive collection of synths!
Tim

« Reply #53 on: October 11, 2016, 09:58:52 AM »
I played guitar with Ultravox from 93 until 96-97. Did one studio album and one live album.
Really enjoyed my time with them.
Billy is a great musician and his sounds were unique. We ended up hiring one of his old Odysseys back from the guy he sold it to for him to record some solos on the studio album I worked on. It made all the difference and immediately sounded like Billy's older stuff.

« Reply #54 on: October 12, 2016, 04:09:12 AM »
I played guitar with Ultravox from 93 until 96-97. Did one studio album and one live album.
Billy is a great musician and his sounds were unique. We ended up hiring one of his old Odysseys back from the guy he sold it to for him to record some solos on the studio album I worked on. It made all the difference and immediately sounded like Billy's older stuff.

Cool!
Tim

« Reply #55 on: October 12, 2016, 01:07:47 PM »
Dave Formula of Magazine also used an Odyssey (mk I), with a very distinctive oscillator sync sound:

In later years, he'd been using a Creamware-based Arp clone (Prodyssey):

though (having tried one of those) I'm not convinced that it was worth the cost, relative to these re-issues.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 01:26:15 PM by DavidDever »

« Reply #56 on: October 12, 2016, 01:16:31 PM »

I think for the past couple of years he's been using the GForce Oddity.

« Reply #57 on: October 12, 2016, 01:20:50 PM »
Dave Formula of Magazine also used an Odyssey (mk I), with a very distinctive oscillator sync sound:

In later years, he'd been using a Creamware-based Arp clone:

though (having tried on of those) I'm not convinced that it was worth the cost, relative to these re-issues.

Great band as well - big fan of "Secondhand Daylight". As for the Creamware Odyssey: That's not really on par with anything out there anymore. He might have even switched to the Korg reissue as well, but who knows.

« Reply #58 on: October 12, 2016, 02:51:57 PM »
The creamware prodyssey isn't bad, I have a Noah here that runs the same code and it's pretty good.

There is a tiny bit of aliasing though some of the time.

Always fancied the ASB one though.

« Reply #59 on: October 12, 2016, 08:31:34 PM »
The creamware prodyssey isn't bad, I have a Noah here that runs the same code and it's pretty good.

There is a tiny bit of aliasing though some of the time.

Always fancied the ASB one though.

I have great respect for what they (Creamware) were trying to accomplish with the Noah, and their platform in general. But they couldn't standup up to Avid/Digidesign within the DSP-based recording (and virtual instrument) space; even TC and UA have had problems staying relevant within that space. It's a tough business....