Loads of DSI synths now out of production.

Re: Loads of DSI synths now out of production.
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2015, 01:19:28 PM »
Prophet-18 anyone?  ;D

dslsynth

« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2015, 01:31:10 PM »
Honestly I think that a Prophet-42 would be way more stylish! :o ;D 8)
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2015, 02:13:50 PM »
Va-va-voom!  I knew it.  They read this thread and then, in less than 36 hours, came up with a module.  These guys are just great!

« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 03:00:51 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2015, 02:22:54 PM »
https://www.reddit.com/r/synthesizers/comments/3p3wdg/prophet_6_module_confirmed/

So according to one local witness they should be out next month and are capable of poly-chaining. So, Sacred Synthesis, how many are you going to preorder?  ;)

You know the answer to that, Paul: one of each.  Does this have any effect on your decision?  Perhaps a Prophet-6 Module controlled by a Prophet '08 would be better than a Prophet-6 Keyboard? 

There's still much to learn about this, but things are looking up for the P6 and me.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 03:07:36 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

dslsynth

« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2015, 03:08:29 PM »
Va-va-voom!  I knew it.  They read this thread and then, in less than 36 hours, came up with a module.  These guys are just great!

Honestly I think they cheated and have been working on this project for months! ;D
#!/bin/sh

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2015, 03:11:00 PM »

Honestly I think they cheated and have been working on this project for months! ;D

Huh?  Really?  Oh, rats.  And I thought they had done this just for me....

dslsynth

« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2015, 03:15:58 PM »
Huh?  Really?  Oh, rats.  And I thought they had done this just for me....

Hehe! I like that type of dreams too! Actually I have seen Modal Electronics implement features that I have previously been suggesting on the other forum which can make one think about a possible connection.

Honestly I would not be too surprised if it turns out that you are involved in sound design for the module!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 03:17:59 PM by dslsynth »
#!/bin/sh

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2015, 03:20:13 PM »
That could be the case.  I would be surprised it synth designers didn't scour the forums for ideas and a sense of people's wants and interests.  It would be a businessman's dream-come-true to have such information about potential customers.

« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2015, 03:33:18 PM »
https://www.reddit.com/r/synthesizers/comments/3p3wdg/prophet_6_module_confirmed/

So according to one local witness they should be out next month and are capable of poly-chaining. So, Sacred Synthesis, how many are you going to preorder?  ;)

You know the answer to that, Paul: one of each.  Does this have any effect on your decision?  Perhaps a Prophet-6 Module controlled by a Prophet '08 would be better than a Prophet-6 Keyboard? 

There's still much to learn about this, but things are looking up for the P6 and me.

Nah, I would still get the keyboard. Plus: I already sold me beloved Prophet '08 for almost as much as they're new now. At least good timing, I guess. I also prefer the keyboard action of the Prophet-6. It's the best keyboard they currently use in their whole catalog.

If I could afford both, I would rather get a Prophet-12 module and control it via my Pro 2.

« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2015, 03:38:16 PM »
Either way, Tim, a Prophet-6 plus a module will be massive. Be it for expanded polyphony or in order to stack sounds. That combo will sound huge. I can easily imagine that it would become your favorite pad machine.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 03:42:50 PM by Paul Dither »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #50 on: October 17, 2015, 03:50:55 PM »
Yes, it would be an analogist's dream come true.  Since I would probably use the instrument as either a left or right hand synthesizer, I would MIDI connect the two and pan them at the mixer, rather than Poly chain.  That could make a beautifully rich stereo sound. 

« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 05:33:21 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #51 on: October 17, 2015, 05:28:48 PM »
What's interesting is that they connected a CME Xkey³⁷ as the keyboard, which features polyphonic aftertouch. Have they updated the Prophet~6 engine to accept such data or has it always been possible?
Prophet '08 № 01369
Yamaha DX7 II FD E!, RX7, CP, CS | Roland Ⅾ-50 | Korg MS-20 mini, microKORG, Volca Beats | Moog Etherwave Plus | Casio VL-Tone

YT
SC

dslsynth

« Reply #52 on: October 18, 2015, 03:08:51 AM »
Have they updated the Prophet~6 engine to accept such data or has it always been possible?

So the best of my knowledge all MIDI capable DSI instruments officially supports polyphonic key pressure (aka polyphonic aftertouch) and have done so since the Evolver days. Standard caveats apply though! ;)

A quirk and dorty look at the CME site seems to indicate there exists a solution providing MIDI Out for the Xkey 37. So that is probably what Dave used!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 03:13:55 AM by dslsynth »
#!/bin/sh

« Reply #53 on: October 18, 2015, 03:14:17 AM »
So the best of my knowledge all MIDI capable DSI instruments officially supports polyphonic key pressure (aka polyphonic aftertouch) and have done so since the Evolver days. Standard caveats apply though! ;)

But do they respond appropriately and not just convert the data to simple channel pressure? I have not tried this out and can't remember reading a definitive statement on this (maybe I forgot).
Prophet '08 № 01369
Yamaha DX7 II FD E!, RX7, CP, CS | Roland Ⅾ-50 | Korg MS-20 mini, microKORG, Volca Beats | Moog Etherwave Plus | Casio VL-Tone

YT
SC

dslsynth

« Reply #54 on: October 18, 2015, 03:16:00 AM »
That could be the case.  I would be surprised it synth designers didn't scour the forums for ideas and a sense of people's wants and interests.  It would be a businessman's dream-come-true to have such information about potential customers.

It could very well be so. Especially when one are building a new company and scans the competitors forums for cool ideas that said competitor wouldn't be bothered to implement anyway! :o ;) :-X
#!/bin/sh

dslsynth

« Reply #55 on: October 18, 2015, 03:25:33 AM »
But do they respond appropriately and not just convert the data to simple channel pressure? I have not tried this out and can't remember reading a definitive statement on this (maybe I forgot).

Well the best way to check it out is to send the actual MIDI messages to a polyphonic DSI instrument. Unfortunately I do not have such a beastie so someone else have to check that out. Do you happen to have an Akai pad controller supporting polyphonic aftertouch, a KMI QuNexus or a CME Xkey? If so you can check it out. ;)
#!/bin/sh

« Reply #56 on: October 18, 2015, 03:33:22 AM »
The P12 definitely handles Poly Aftertouch correct, I am pretty sure the Poly evolver and Tempest do as well.

« Reply #57 on: October 18, 2015, 03:38:31 AM »
Well the best way to check it out is to send the actual MIDI messages to a polyphonic DSI instrument. Unfortunately I do not have such a beastie so someone else have to check that out. Do you happen to have an Akai pad controller supporting polyphonic aftertouch, a KMI QuNexus or a CME Xkey? If so you can check it out. ;)

I thought of generating an appropriate signal in Logic, since I don't have any poly-pressure emitting hardware.
Prophet '08 № 01369

YT
SC

dslsynth

« Reply #58 on: October 18, 2015, 03:57:31 AM »
The P12 definitely handles Poly Aftertouch correct, I am pretty sure the Poly evolver and Tempest do as well.

The implementation of polyphonic aftertouch is not a big deal: simply keep track of the note being played - which all synthesizers do anyway - and apply the aftertouch in the same was as channel pressure if its the note being played. Or rather its probably easier to do by remembering the current pressure values in a table and look when up when being played. Or something like that.

I thought of generating an appropriate signal in Logic, since I don't have any poly-pressure emitting hardware.

I thought of suggesting such a solution using a MIDI monitoring program or such while writing but decided to leave it out. Good you considered that as its a much cheaper solution than getting actual hardware.
#!/bin/sh

chysn

« Reply #59 on: October 18, 2015, 04:48:30 AM »
I like to create the sort of set up that is based around one large instrument.  Several years ago, I was in the midst of building a mostly-Evolver set up.  It was a master plan that would wonderfully serve my musical needs.  Then one day, unexpectedly, DSI announced it was retiring the Poly Evolvers.  It completely messed up my plans because I had wanted all new instruments that were still in production and fairly maintained.  Now my set up is built around the Prophet '08 and I'd still like to add at least one more unit to it.  But can I depend on the instrument still being around in a couple of years?  Nope.  Should I next build my set up around the Prophet 12?  But that will eventually pass away too.  It's very frustrating to a musician who knows exactly what he wants to do and has no interest in merely following the latest populer synthesizer trend.  The "in thing" is the last thing that interests me and is usually the worst thing in my opinion.  And yet, the synthesizer is an instrument that is totally at the mercy of trends and markets, so unlike traditional instruments.  It's a very a-musical situation that has the potential of pushing away altogether a serious composer/musician.

I will point out, with all due respect, that you're the cause of your own angst here. The pressure to "follow the latest popular synthesizer trend" that you feel is internal, and a byproduct of your requirement that your setup be based around in-production instruments.

To put a somewhat different spin on your comparison of synthesizers to violins: Synthesizers are like violins in that they do not become obsolete. An Evolver will be as musical in 50 years as it is today. But both a violin and an Evolver will require care by the musician, and occasional service from a knowledgeable party (a luthier and a tech, respectively) to last that long.

If a studio of Evolvers suits your musical vision, why would you compromise that vision by jumping on the latest bandwagon? It can't be a maintenance issue; electronic instruments can potentially be maintained for decades after they're discontinued. There's pretty much nothing that can go wrong with a DX7 that can't be fixed still today, and there's pretty much nothing that can go wrong with an Evolver that won't be able to be fixed for the next thirty years.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 05:19:52 AM by chysn »
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his