Prophet X future: MPE capability?

Gerry Havinga

• Really enjoying creating sounds and composing.
    • For the love of electronic music
Prophet X future: MPE capability?
« on: April 14, 2023, 05:14:50 AM »
It's been a while since I've last visited the Prophet X part of the forum. I am using the Prophet X regularly and "she" is an integral part of me and my partners monthly live performances.

Now I have managed to get hold of an Osmose, I am very interested if Sequential has any plans of adding MPE capability to the Prophet X firmware.

The game changing element of the Osmose, for me, is her per key pressure capability. On the Osmose pressure is in the default setup, when configured for MPE, sent out as polyphonic after-touch. Obviously the Prophet X supports polyphonic after-touch and some nice effects can be achieved with that. But really what makes the Osmose so special is the ability to control amp and filter envelopes per key while playing.

Does any one have any idea if MPE will be added to the Prophet X?
DAW-less and going down the Eurorack rabbit hole.

Re: Prophet X future: MPE capability?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2023, 05:15:04 PM »
I wish I had any insight to offer.  MPE capability was one of my earliest requests when I received my Prophet X, and I have also received my Osmose and would be intrigued by what they could do together at some point.  I hope Sequential plans to do at least one more round of updates to the instrument but I'm not aware of any public commitment they've made regarding more changes.

Of course the past few years have been a tremendous challenge for most businesses, so they may well have gotten less done than they had hoped at some point.  Getting out new hardware is doubtless the first priority, followed by updates for older hardware that still has the potential to be made more relevant with a few additions.

Gerry Havinga

• Really enjoying creating sounds and composing.
    • For the love of electronic music
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2023, 11:33:01 PM »
I wish I had any insight to offer.  MPE capability was one of my earliest requests when I received my Prophet X, and I have also received my Osmose and would be intrigued by what they could do together at some point.  I hope Sequential plans to do at least one more round of updates to the instrument but I'm not aware of any public commitment they've made regarding more changes.

Of course the past few years have been a tremendous challenge for most businesses, so they may well have gotten less done than they had hoped at some point.  Getting out new hardware is doubtless the first priority, followed by updates for older hardware that still has the potential to be made more relevant with a few additions.
Well the Prophet X is already amazing as it is. My investigation to figure out the best way to replace the factory installed SSD with a new version of larger capacity turned out to be futile. But actually I am using the P X mainly to design my own sounds combining the on board samples with the oscillators and stereo filter. For more extensive sample mangling I use some Eurorack modules and my good old Akai S5000.

MPE capability would be great of course as icing on the cake. Now the Osmose is out and slowly starting to infect the synth world with a desire for more expression capable synth engines, Sequential also might get more involved adding MPE capabilities to their synth catalog.
DAW-less and going down the Eurorack rabbit hole.

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2023, 05:13:11 PM »
Sadly I think we'll see the Prophet X off the Sequential roster before we see an update.