Help Needed! Midi not working

Help Needed! Midi not working
« on: March 30, 2023, 07:17:25 PM »
Hi Team! Just took ownership of a new OBX8 yesterday. Proud owner here with serial 0527  ;D

This seems elementary but I'm having a big problem not being able to connect my OBX8 to my computer vis  USB Midi. I have a P10, P6, OB6, Rev2-16, Pro3, and a Trigon 6. They all seem to work similarly and I have zero issues getting them to connect to my computer via USB Midi. The OBX8 on the other hand just doesn't seem to connect.

Here are the Global settings I have configured:
Midi Controller Enable: ON
MIDI Param Send: NRPN
MIDI Param Receive: NRPN
MIDI Sysex Cable: USB
MIDI Out Cable: USB
MIDI Channel: ALL
Send MIDI: ALL
POT Edit Mode: JUMP
MIDI Preset Change: Transmit and Receive

Am I missing something here? I went through the manual and as far as I can tell I have everything I should need. I have my P10 sitting right above it with it's own USB Midi cable working fine. I even tried using that cable in the back of the OBX8 and selecting the P10 in Cubase. Nothing. Plug it back into the P10 and I get MIDI communication.

Please advise!
Prophet 10 Rev4
Prophet 6
Pro 3
Rev 2 16voice
Moog Matriarch Dark
Access Virus TI2
Korg Kronos 2 88
Akai MPC X

Re: Help Needed! Midi not working
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2023, 08:13:58 PM »
I'm on OS 1.0.0.3 and trying to get to 1.0.0.7 but it's impossible because USB Midi can't connect.
Prophet 10 Rev4
Prophet 6
Pro 3
Rev 2 16voice
Moog Matriarch Dark
Access Virus TI2
Korg Kronos 2 88
Akai MPC X

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2023, 08:26:45 PM »
I was able to use a standard MIDI IN/OUT cable to update the OS to 1.0.0.7. I'm hoping this fixes whatever USB MIDI issue there was, and if not, then I have a busted OB-X8. Will report back when the update finishes.
Prophet 10 Rev4
Prophet 6
Pro 3
Rev 2 16voice
Moog Matriarch Dark
Access Virus TI2
Korg Kronos 2 88
Akai MPC X

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2023, 08:30:28 PM »
Update finished. Put Global settings back to USB and same issue. This is looking like a hardware issue with the OB-X8. Definitely didn't expect this given the price tag. What a bummer.

Guess it's time for support intervention.
Prophet 10 Rev4
Prophet 6
Pro 3
Rev 2 16voice
Moog Matriarch Dark
Access Virus TI2
Korg Kronos 2 88
Akai MPC X

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2023, 08:45:37 PM »
After updating to 1.0.0.7 there's no sound coming out of the OB-X8. Just keeps getting worse.

I can play keys but get no sound. Once in a blue I get a few keys to play but that's it. What is going on here?

Anyone else experience these issues?

UPDATE: Needed to follow the instructions to reset GLOBALS and Clear Calibration. Sound is back. Wheewwww!

But I'm still stuck not being able to use USB MIDI..... man this sucks.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2023, 08:52:34 PM by mjaestewart »
Prophet 10 Rev4
Prophet 6
Pro 3
Rev 2 16voice
Moog Matriarch Dark
Access Virus TI2
Korg Kronos 2 88
Akai MPC X

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2023, 09:21:56 PM »
I figured it out  :o

It wasn't the OB-X8 after all. If anyone out there is using a Mio iConnectivityXL then be sure to look at the USB Host Reservation List. I used a USB cable that was dedicated to my Waldorf Quantum. I updated my 3-tier synth rack to replace the Quantum with the OB-X8. So I used the TRS cables and USB MIDI cable that was dedicated on the Quantum to plug right into the OB-X8. I updated my Lynx interface to reflect the change AND renamed the Port Name the Quantum was on in the mioXL Software Controller BUT totally forgot about the USB Host Reservation.

In the mioXL go to USB Host Reservation > Specify the name you want for the OBX8 Port (mine is OBX8) then from the dropdown > select Oberheim Electtronics OB-X8 (Port 1)

See Screenshot.... Hope this helps someone else out there that may have similar studio hardware when adding the OB-X8 to your setup, or any additional synth for that matter.
Prophet 10 Rev4
Prophet 6
Pro 3
Rev 2 16voice
Moog Matriarch Dark
Access Virus TI2
Korg Kronos 2 88
Akai MPC X