Setting up stereo delay

Setting up stereo delay
« on: March 30, 2023, 08:39:30 AM »
The first delay is listed as " Delay - classic stereo digital delay"  in the user manual, but it is obviously mono.
I've read you can make it stereo via the mod matrix, but I have no idea how, does anyone care to explain it like to a 5-year old for me?

;D

Re: Setting up stereo delay
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2023, 11:44:58 AM »
It’s a pity that the Take 5 (and other Sequential synths) doesn’t offer a simple ping-pong function in the delay parameters. I therefore added an external TC Electronic delay to get easily any delay I wish.

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2023, 11:51:40 AM »
It’s a pity that the Take 5 (and other Sequential synths) doesn’t offer a simple ping-pong function in the delay parameters. I therefore added an external TC Electronic delay to get easily any delay I wish.

Yeah I agree. I do have mine going into an Axe-FX III, so I can have all the effects I want, but it would benice to have it onboard.

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2023, 01:22:21 PM »
The first delay is listed as " Delay - classic stereo digital delay"  in the user manual, but it is obviously mono.
I've read you can make it stereo via the mod matrix, but I have no idea how, does anyone care to explain it like to a 5-year old for me?

;D

I think it's actually stereo but uses the same delay amount for the right and left channels?

To get a ping-pong style echo:

• Select the Delay effect
  • Tap Mod
  • Use the Select and Value knobs to set the first Mod parameter to Voice SPrd
  • Use the Select and Value knobs to set the second Mod parameter to a high value like 127
  • Use the Select and Value knobs to set the third Mod parameter to Panning
A lower numeric value for the second Mod parameter reduces the space between the right and left signal.

Hope this helps!

« Last Edit: March 30, 2023, 01:26:09 PM by lewisfrancis »

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2023, 03:49:19 PM »

;D

I think it's actually stereo but uses the same delay amount for the right and left channels?

• Tap Mod
  • Use the Select and Value knobs to set the second Mod parameter to a high value like 127
A lower numeric value for the second Mod parameter reduces the space between the right and left signal.

Hope this helps!

Thank you! Doesn't get full blown ping-pong, but definitely more stereo  :)

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2023, 05:16:07 PM »

;D

• Tap Mod

Hope this helps!

Similar to @lewisfrancis recommendation above, you can get Ping Pong by routing DC source to Panning with +127...  This works on most Seq synths.   The reason why Voice Spread is not ideal is that each voice will get a different amount of panning / ping pong... and one of the five voices will have no ping pong.   

DC +127 to Panning will force each delay to swing completely across the L/R spectrum.    The one downside is that the initial articulation of the note will be hard panned.    There is a sort of workaround: By using an envelope as a source, or a counter-offset to DC, you can make it so the initial articulation is centered, but subsequent delays will ping-pong... its not ideal, but I've used this on many patches, especially on Pro3.   (it would be nice if there was a dedicated parameter for doing this within the delay effect block)

OB-X8, Pro 3, P6, Rev2, Take 5, 3rd Wave, Deepmind, PolyBrute, Sub 37
Sound Sets:
https://sounddesign.sellfy.store/
Free Patches:
https://www.PresetPatch.com/user/CreativeSpiral

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2023, 02:59:04 AM »

;D

• Tap Mod

Hope this helps!

Similar to @lewisfrancis recommendation above, you can get Ping Pong by routing DC source to Panning with +127...  This works on most Seq synths.   The reason why Voice Spread is not ideal is that each voice will get a different amount of panning / ping pong... and one of the five voices will have no ping pong.   

DC +127 to Panning will force each delay to swing completely across the L/R spectrum.    The one downside is that the initial articulation of the note will be hard panned.    There is a sort of workaround: By using an envelope as a source, or a counter-offset to DC, you can make it so the initial articulation is centered, but subsequent delays will ping-pong... its not ideal, but I've used this on many patches, especially on Pro3.   (it would be nice if there was a dedicated parameter for doing this within the delay effect block)

Thanks, that's a cool effect too. I'll stick to my external effects when it comes to stereo delay. The Axe-FX does everything, and a bit more!  ;D

Made a quick clip with the Axe. First dry, then I add a "worn tape" stereo delay, then Cathedral reverb and lastly an 4-voice analog stereo chorus.

https://voca.ro/129YD7b8gpFm

« Last Edit: March 31, 2023, 03:13:17 AM by Blix »

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2023, 07:15:35 AM »

This is actually cool, thanks!
But I only get ONE repetition of the initial note when the delay is in the mode "delay". Only in the mode "BBD" there are multiple repetitions changing between right and left (when panning is at 127). And with "DC" as source it also works in unison mode (the other method using Voice Spread only works in polyphone mode).

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2023, 08:21:59 AM »
This is actually cool, thanks!
But I only get ONE repetition of the initial note when the delay is in the mode "delay". Only in the mode "BBD" there are multiple repetitions changing between right and left (when panning is at 127). And with "DC" as source it also works in unison mode (the other method using Voice Spread only works in polyphone mode).

Huh, good to know -- thanks for sharing your results!

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2023, 09:20:46 AM »
Thanks, that's a cool effect too. I'll stick to my external effects when it comes to stereo delay. The Axe-FX does everything, and a bit more!  ;D

Made a quick clip with the Axe. First dry, then I add a "worn tape" stereo delay, then Cathedral reverb and lastly an 4-voice analog stereo chorus.

Nice.  Yeah, the AxeFx is a great choice for outboard multi effects... up there near H9000 in effects quality and capability.  If it didn't have "Axe" in the name, it would probably get a bunch more use on other instruments.

OB-X8, Pro 3, P6, Rev2, Take 5, 3rd Wave, Deepmind, PolyBrute, Sub 37
Sound Sets:
https://sounddesign.sellfy.store/
Free Patches:
https://www.PresetPatch.com/user/CreativeSpiral

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2023, 09:25:40 AM »

Nice.  Yeah, the AxeFx is a great choice for outboard multi effects... up there near H9000 in effects quality and capability.  If it didn't have "Axe" in the name, it would probably get a bunch more use on other instruments.

Yeah it is fantastic. If it wasn't obvious from the playing, I'm a guitarist just having fun with keys.  ;D
It has a bunch of inputs so I have the Take 5 permanentely attached and my digital piano as well. I can just turn them on and play.

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2023, 08:18:31 PM »
Sounds like a *fantastic* item to contribute to the firmware revision thread! There's no reason a simple ping-pong delay can't be built in. On the EHX Cathedral reverb pedal, there's a setting that turns it into a simple digital delay. In mono, it's a mono delay. But if you run both outputs, it automatically switches to a basic left-right-left-right ping-pong setting.

It would NOT be hard to program either that or a selectable-in-menu setting to enable ping-pong for stereo, on a by-preset basis.