Replacing push buttons on used Evolver

Replacing push buttons on used Evolver
« on: August 30, 2016, 07:13:38 AM »
Hello!

I recently bought a used Evolver Desktop in bad shape (cheap as dirt). The thing works but the push buttons are worn, and sometimes take a lot of pressing before getting any response. It's fine when just setting up programs, but any live manipulation becomes very unreliable.

So I'd like to fix them. Does anyone know the specifications of the buttons. I opened the Evolver and the procedure seems pretty straight forward. I just want to find the right replacement buttons.

It's a lovely synth, so I'm inclined to get it to tip top shape and let it live on!

Any ideas?

Re: Replacing push buttons on used Evolver
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 10:37:37 AM »
So judging from this photo from inside the Evolver.

I'd say it's these ones?:

I might go ahead and try, I can get them for $0.1, and hopefully they at least can't mess anything up (since they are just power switches?)..

Hmm.. this might be more suited to an electronics forum at this point.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 10:48:47 AM by starru »

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 12:49:07 PM »
I've been in contact with the support and they've really went above and beyond considering I'm just a second hand user. Really impressed.

Anyway, for anyone else wondering or stumbling over this I'll share some answers I got:

The button posted above has the right dimensions, and is a suitable replacement.

But before you go poking around with a soldering iron:
...it's good to note that the buttons on our instruments are self cleaning and you may be able to clear up any intermittent operation by pressing a button with a great deal of force 50-100 times. If you notice the buttons behavior improves, continue to press on the button and then check whether there is further improvement.

This actually fixed 70% of the issues I was having, so now I'm down to replacing just two or three.

I'll update whenever I've replaced the malfunctioning ones (might be a while though).

chysn

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 02:50:19 PM »
...it's good to note that the buttons on our instruments are self cleaning and you may be able to clear up any intermittent operation by pressing a button with a great deal of force 50-100 times. If you notice the buttons behavior improves, continue to press on the button and then check whether there is further improvement.

I had the same experience. The seventh vertical button on my Evolver was sketchy, and pushing it really hard fixed it. It sure didn't take 50-100 times. More like two.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2018, 03:53:11 AM »
Had the same problem with 2 buttons...

I open the Evolver --->
The buttons have heads that you can take off

The buttons had been pressed too hard!!!
As a result, no place left to switch properly

I pulled the heads off - put it back on, done!
--->
Close the Evolver, that's it.

Now they switch with light pressure as they should
;-)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 03:58:00 AM by astheologos »