Factory Sound #112

chysn

Factory Sound #112
« on: March 18, 2023, 07:56:09 AM »
When I heard this sound, I was all, "Whaaat?!"

It's a simple triangle sound when the key is pressed down and held. And then, when the key is released, a chime-like sound comes in. It's a really neat trick for a synth without reverse envelopes.

The filter envelope amount is set to 0, so the filter envelope doesn't affect the filter. Instead, the filter envelope controls Osc A PW via the Poly-Mod section at 100%. Osc A's PW is set to 50%. The filter envelope is then set to fast attack and decay, and the sustain level is set so that the Osc A becomes inaudible (due to PW) during sustain.

Then, when the release stage returns the envelope to 0, the Osc A PW dives back to 50%, and is audible again. Result... a sound that plays when the note is released! The filter envelope release basically controls the attack rate of the Osc A sound.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2023, 08:47:36 AM by chysn »
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

g3o2

Re: Factory Sound #112
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2023, 07:58:36 AM »
It is a pretty cool sound, indeed.

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2023, 06:36:26 PM »
When I heard this sound, I was all, "Whaaat?!"

It's a simple triangle sound when the key is pressed down and held. And then, when the key is released, a chime-like sound comes in. It's a really neat trick for a synth without reverse envelopes.

The filter envelope amount is set to 0, so the filter envelope doesn't affect the filter. Instead, the filter envelope controls Osc A PW via the Poly-Mod section at 100%. Osc A's PW is set to 50%. The filter envelope is then set to fast attack and decay, and the sustain level is set so that the Osc A becomes inaudible (due to PW) during sustain.

Then, when the release stage returns the envelope to 0, the Osc A PW dives back to 50%, and is audible again. Result... a sound that plays when the note is released! The filter envelope release basically controls the attack rate of the Osc A sound.

This patch was an eyeopener for me too when I first worked out what was going on. I took that trick with forcing the oscillator into silence into some of my own patches where I’ve simulated a shimmer reverb (same note coming in later like an octave-up echo). When using PU2 mode, it means you can still have a 2-oscillator sound with the shimmer.

chysn

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2023, 08:56:31 PM »
When using PU2 mode, it means you can still have a 2-oscillator sound with the shimmer.

What is PU2 mode?
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2023, 01:02:06 AM »
When using PU2 mode, it means you can still have a 2-oscillator sound with the shimmer.

What is PU2 mode?
Polyphonic unison with two voices per note. Obviously works much better with 10 voices and presents a compelling argument for getting the P10 or installing the expansion card.

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2023, 04:38:08 PM »
Thanks for this post - it's great to learn more about programming techniques!
Prophet 10 Rev4, OB-X8, Moog One, Rhodes Mk8, Osmose, OB-6 desktop, Trigon 6 Desktop, Kawai VPC-1, Steinway D

LPF83

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2023, 05:15:50 PM »

What is PU2 mode?

If you've ever had one of those moments on a poly where you didn't realize you had Local On and the DAW was sending back double notes and went "holy crap that sounds amazing.. hey where did my polyphony go" :)... that's what PU2 is basically, with a little detuning added in for good measure.  But if you're into chords and pads, the expansion board is definitely worth considering for this feature alone (not to mention splits/stacks).
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

chysn

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2023, 05:37:00 PM »
What is PU2 mode?
Polyphonic unison with two voices per note. Obviously works much better with 10 voices and presents a compelling argument for getting the P10 or installing the expansion card.

Thanks!

I might wind up with the expansion some day.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

he/him/his