Prophet Rev 4 Stands

chysn

Prophet Rev 4 Stands
« on: March 15, 2023, 03:37:15 PM »
Does anyone have a favorite keyboard stand for a Prophet 5/10? I know it weighs in at 31 pounds (14kg), so stability is paramount. But second to stability is beauty. I'd like the stand to be either (1) as gorgeous as the Prophet 5 or (2) relatively invisible.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

Re: Prophet Rev 4 Stands
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2023, 04:08:48 PM »
Does anyone have a favorite keyboard stand for a Prophet 5/10? I know it weighs in at 31 pounds (14kg), so stability is paramount. But second to stability is beauty. I'd like the stand to be either (1) as gorgeous as the Prophet 5 or (2) relatively invisible.

I had a Standtastic stand (two tier model) for a while. Not terribly sexy on paper, but once it was set up, it was pretty out of the way - and very sturdy. Otherwise, maybe the "table style," made by various companies would do the trick... sturdy and out of the way, visually. I've got that sort  - in chrome - supporting my Wurli. Suits the vibe, isn't in the way and no risk of the piano going anywhere...

LPF83

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2023, 05:08:34 PM »

It really depends on the rest of your setup, placement, whether you want to be sitting or standing while playing etc.  If you just need to place ithe P5 by itself with nothing or below, just a simple x-style stand will do.  It's when you run out of horizontal space and have to start thinking through vertical placement that things can get tricky, stability becomes more of an issue with 2 or more heavy keyboards usually (some folks don't mind wobble but I do)... a simple X stand is a good and inexpensive start.  Definitely on the invisible side.  Or just any small table you have laying around that's the right height.  Or just some "standard legs" like the Quiklok WS421..  I like how easy the X stands are to adjust height, but depending on where you like to put pedals, and foot placement, one or the other might work better for you so that's a consideration.  If in tight spaces, measure and measure again before buying.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

g3o2

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2023, 06:46:00 PM »
This heavy-duty stand is what I use for my synths, perfectly stable and extensible with up to two tiers and a laptop stand: https://www.k-m.de/en/products/keyboard-stands/keyboard-tables/18820-table-style-keyboard-stand-omega-pro-pure-white?number=18820-019-76

However, with Prophet being a wooden product, would a wooden “stand”, or even better a custom-made wooden piece of furniture, not keep the look and feel more wooden? ;-)

chysn

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2023, 08:51:43 PM »
a simple X stand is a good and inexpensive start.

I'm not a fan of the X stand. I've never found one that isn't wobbly, even when they look heavy-duty.

This heavy-duty stand is what I use for my synths, perfectly stable and extensible with up to two tiers and a laptop stand: https://www.k-m.de/en/products/keyboard-stands/keyboard-tables/18820-table-style-keyboard-stand-omega-pro-pure-white?number=18820-019-76

I do like the look of that K&M stand. What's the depth of those support arms? They look kind of small, but that might just be the photo angle.

However, with Prophet being a wooden product, would a wooden “stand”, or even better a custom-made wooden piece of furniture, not keep the look and feel more wooden? ;-)

I have an antique wooden console table that was my grandma's, and it's the perfect size for my Pro 3. It would have been perfect for a Trigon-6, had I got that. But I think it's slightly too small for a P5. That won't keep me from giving it a shot.

I had a Standtastic stand (two tier model) for a while. Not terribly sexy on paper, but once it was set up, it was pretty out of the way - and very sturdy.

Goodness, those look weird! It reminds me of a spider web. I am thinking that the table-type might be the best bet.

For decades, I've had an old Ultimate Support Systems stand. Their stuff used to be modular, with aluminum tubes and ABS joints. It's an awesome stand, but I feel like it's time to modernize.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2023, 08:56:46 PM by chysn »
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2023, 12:56:52 AM »
I have this K&M Stand with the Stacker addition. Really stable, no wobble plus space for my minimoog. Just the perfekt setup
https://www.k-m.de/en/products/keyboard-stands/keyboard-tables/18950-table-style-keyboard-stand-black?c=171

g3o2

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2023, 01:17:55 AM »
If you scroll down further on the page I’ve linked, you’ve got all the dimensions listed. Support depth is 34.5 cm. Compared to P5’s width of 42 cm. Support width is up to 73 cm. Supported max weight is 80 kg, which is plenty.

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2023, 03:08:55 AM »
I’m using the K&M Omega with the second tier for the Pro 3.

LPF83

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2023, 05:07:37 AM »
I'm not a fan of the X stand. I've never found one that isn't wobbly, even when they look heavy-duty.

There can be lot of difference in stability of X stands, for example double braced ones like the Roland KS-20X tend to be very sturdy, but of course if there is any unevenness in the floor surface than all bets are off with most stands.  The other suggestions you've gotten here are good too, I think highly of K&M.  Jaspers, which are excellent stands, does have a single tier unit but I don't think it will look as good as some of the other options available when it comes to a simple, single tier stand.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2023, 09:00:39 AM »
And I'm not a sales-rep for the Standtastic stuff by any means (I sold mine, right?), but as odd as those things look on their own, they do sorta vanish (somewhat!) when loaded with a synth or two - and they're impressively sturdy as can be. I have my P5 on an Ultimate x-stand now, a two-tier model with the top tier loaded with Korg MS20 and Digitakt at the moment. Sturdy as can be.

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2023, 02:47:43 PM »
I love this one http://herculesstands.com/international/products/keyboard/x-stands/ks210b/
Holds an old Korg Kronos88 23kg and a SV 1 17kg very stable.
Got this one upon recommendation of my music store.
Greetings Benny.

chysn

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2023, 10:09:30 AM »
Anybody like the Ultimate Apex? I kind of like the looks of it, and it seems like I might need to call an audible and go two-tier after all.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

he/him/his

g3o2

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2023, 03:57:11 PM »
If column stands are what you’re after, then you might want to look into K&M Spider (Pro or Baby): https://www.k-m.de/en/products/keyboard-stands/column-stands/

Spider is more stable on its 4 feet (vs 3 for the Apex) and it has room for pedals underneath it. Column stands are great on stage because they look very cool and can be folded into a practical transportable format.

Their biggest drawback however: depending on which tier your synth resides on, the stand’s column is potentially in the way of your precious inputs and outputs. If I’m not mistaken that’s _exactly_ where the Prophet Rev 4 keyboard version’s inputs and outputs are located, so you’ve been warned.

If you need your stand only for non-transportable use, a table-like form factor is more practical and takes less space. It also allows you to either sit or stand while playing. Column spiders are leaned towards standing positions. Should you need a transportable solution, a stand like the Omega Pro for example can also be folded to a smaller format, albeit only its base. There is no perfect solution I’m afraid.

I wish these would still be built 8), even if the Prophet might be a tad too deep: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/42854633942219141/ There is one in Nancy in France, unfortunately, not for sale ;D
« Last Edit: March 20, 2023, 04:07:01 PM by g3o2 »

LPF83

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2023, 04:17:55 PM »
Anybody like the Ultimate Apex? I kind of like the looks of it, and it seems like I might need to call an audible and go two-tier after all.

I have one, and like it.  I didn't bring it up because I thought you'd mentioned already having ruled Ultimate Support stands out.

The only negative I would cite is that sometimes the ports on the back of the synth get in the way, with the column of the stand going down the middle.  For example right now I have my Pro2 on the upper tier, and the MIDI din plug prevents me from pushing it as far back as I'd like.  We're talking a couple of inches so it's not a big deal and I could almost certainly find an L-plug cable to solve that a bit more elegantly.  But since all the ports on the Rev4 are directly in the middle, it's something to consider. 

chysn

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2023, 05:55:53 PM »

I have one, and like it.  I didn't bring it up because I thought you'd mentioned already having ruled Ultimate Support stands out.

Only a certain kind of Ultimate stand. The one I have now, they don't make any longer. Ultimate used to sell a stand system made of various lengths of aluminum tubes, support arms, and ABS end caps and t-joint pieces. It was a cool system because you could design your own stand system, not entirely unlike building with Tinker Toys. But, it's not visually appealing, and these parts are no longer readily available.

I do like the look of the Apex stand, though. My difficulty is, although I've had dozens of keyboards, I've never once owned a multi-tier stand. Ideally, I'd have my Prophet 5 and Pro 3 on two stands at equal height, and at 90-degree angles to each other. But I don't have that kind of space. I might just have to call an audible and get a two-tier stand.

I have no idea how I'll take to it. It seems kind of unnatural.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

he/him/his

chysn

« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2023, 05:59:54 PM »
If column stands are what you’re after, then you might want to look into K&M Spider (Pro or Baby): https://www.k-m.de/en/products/keyboard-stands/column-stands/

Ooh, that's nice!

I wish these would still be built 8), even if the Prophet might be a tad too deep: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/42854633942219141/ There is one in Nancy in France, unfortunately, not for sale ;D

Ha! Fancy.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

he/him/his

LPF83

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2023, 06:10:48 PM »

Only a certain kind of Ultimate stand. The one I have now, they don't make any longer. Ultimate used to sell a stand system made of various lengths of aluminum tubes, support arms, and ABS end caps and t-joint pieces. It was a cool system because you could design your own stand system, not entirely unlike building with Tinker Toys. But, it's not visually appealing, and these parts are no longer readily available.

I do like the look of the Apex stand, though. My difficulty is, although I've had dozens of keyboards, I've never once owned a multi-tier stand. Ideally, I'd have my Prophet 5 and Pro 3 on two stands at equal height, and at 90-degree angles to each other. But I don't have that kind of space. I might just have to call an audible and get a two-tier stand.

I have no idea how I'll take to it. It seems kind of unnatural.

Having two keyboards perpendicular is my ideal way to play two keyboards as well... that aside, one strike against the stands like the AX-48 Pro (model I have) would be lack of tilt on the upper tier from a sitting position.  I think column stands were really designed with the scenario of a standing keyboardist in live gigs, because a) they look nice and don't "wall off" the performer from their audience, b) access to two boards is decent as long as you're standing, and thus don't need one to tilt or care too much about having easy access to controls on both and c) because they're easy to pack up and go.  In my case it also helps to fit gear into a small room... the concession I make is that I'm either sitting to play the lower keyboard or standing to play the upper -- never both at the same time.

Then again if the top keyboard had a flip-top (Pro3 SE, Model D etc) I could make small adjustments and it could be quite workable.