Tempest Feature Request

Tempest Feature Request
« on: August 29, 2016, 04:38:29 AM »
HEllo , since I practice more and more with my tmpest , I wish I have to see features for a better workflow or live performance .

Here it is  :

- Memorize a beat when LOOP SCREEN is ON. It enable to loop just a portion a beat and suppose 2 same beats and 2 different pads , you could create really nice breaks with this feature

- in BEAT MODE  : holding SHIFT would enable not to ear pitch and LF freq knobs mouvement in order to set to a particular value . Realease the SHIFT button would enable to ear the result .

- do you think it will be possible to send an entire BEAT  into one of the 6 voices OUT ?

If you have others ideas , please write here !
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 11:36:29 PM by Yorgos Arabatzis »

HT

Re: NEW FEATURES WE WANT TO SEE ON TEMPEST
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2016, 02:06:09 PM »
16 Bars.

Re: Tempest Feature Request
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2016, 11:43:26 PM »
This topic deserves a sticky!After the release of the latest main OS i'm guessing DSI will have a low priority on new features for the Tempest but i'm crossing my fingers anyway...Poly Recording is my favorite!

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2016, 12:21:35 AM »
Copy a sounds sequence.

Right now you can copy the sequence from one beat to another or copy sounds from a beat to another beat. My life would be a lot easier if I could just copy the sequence of one sound from one beat to another beat.

Oh and the good ol individual time signatures for sounds, a polymeter.

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2016, 12:51:03 AM »
+10000 on that ^

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2016, 06:06:24 AM »
Source code for the firmware! That way they could move the burden of fixes and updates to the community and Tempest would live forever!
Mono Evolver Keyboard, Prophet '08, Tempest

LucidSFX

• Drifting is fun with cars not with MIDI Clock.
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2016, 12:10:21 AM »
Definately...

16 bars  and Sound Sequence Copy between beats

Wish List!
I can only hope a Tempest V2 is made!!!!
LucidSFX

-----------------------
current hybrid setup
-----------------------

2 x Technics 1200 MK7
Allen & Heath DB4
Allen Heath K2
Tempest
VirusTI2
RME UFX
Adam A7
SP2400 (on order)
Glenlivet 18yr scotch

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2016, 07:04:00 AM »
Source code for the firmware! That way they could move the burden of fixes and updates to the community and Tempest would live forever!

+1000 fort open sourcing it!

Dear DSI,

No One Will Steal Your IP And Make A Chinese Tempest, Instead They Will Make Your Product A Lot More Useful And You Can Sell More Hardware!

Or what are you afraid of seriously?

Pretty Please!
Thank you.

LucidSFX

• Soundcloud
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2016, 02:45:09 PM »
Allow for 32 beats:)

Allow for more than 6 notes in the sequencer. Yes I know you can only have 6 voices but when copying a sound and sequence the sequence will not copy over if I already have 6 lanes used. I try to build the entire track in one beat. This will also help keeping sounds consistant should I decide to modify a sound later.

If more more than 6 sequencer lanes are possible then the ability to disable or enable a sequencer lane by greying it out. More useful than a mute.

Add mute states to playlist to save on repetative copies of beats.

Add Realtime controller lane for both note fx and beat fx in the sequencer so that the continous data is recorded instead of beinging aplied to the note.

Copy only selected sequence of a sound to replace or overlap notes within the same beat and or other beat.

Add the function of a one time hit to a note parameter. Ex: crash hits on the first beat but when the beat repeats itself it doesnt sound.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 02:50:12 PM by LucidSFX »
LucidSFX

-----------------------
current hybrid setup
-----------------------

2 x Technics 1200 MK7
Allen & Heath DB4
Allen Heath K2
Tempest
VirusTI2
RME UFX
Adam A7
SP2400 (on order)
Glenlivet 18yr scotch

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2016, 04:35:17 AM »
This topic deserves a sticky!After the release of the latest main OS i'm guessing DSI will have a low priority on new features for the Tempest but i'm crossing my fingers anyway...Poly Recording is my favorite!

Limited polyphonic recording is already possible if (in 16 sounds mode) you copy a sound to more than 1 pad within Sound Bank A & adjust the pitch of each pad according to whatever scale you want to use.  For example, using all 16 pads, each tuned to a different degree of a major or minor scale, you would have a range of just over 2 octaves.  Tune them to one of the pentatonic scales and you'll have just over 3 octaves! 

NOTE: You could use Sound Bank B instead but remember only pads within Sound Bank A can be triggered via MIDI, allowing you to record polyphonically using an external keyboard.  Either way, the beat will still have an entire bank left over for any other sounds you want to use.

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2016, 04:46:17 AM »
Yes i know that already but it would be great if we were not forced to sacrifice pads in order to achieve poly rec.It's like going to a point by doing a circle.Wouldn't be much easier & faster to go straight ahead?

Limited polyphonic recording is already possible if (in 16 sounds mode) you copy a sound to more than 1 pad within Sound Bank A & adjust the pitch of each pad according to whatever scale you want to use.  For example, using all 16 pads, each tuned to a different degree of a major or minor scale, you would have a range of just over 2 octaves.  Tune them to one of the pentatonic scales and you'll have just over 3 octaves! 

NOTE: You could use Sound Bank B instead but remember only pads within Sound Bank A can be triggered via MIDI, allowing you to record polyphonically using an external keyboard.  Either way, the beat will still have an entire bank left over for any other sounds you want to use.

bozo

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2016, 10:25:51 AM »
Just call this the "Tempest pointless request" thread, aint nothing gonna happen, and we are lucky Mr R.L got on board to get teh OS in a reasonably proper state.
still cant hurt to dream: sample import please...h h haa haarrrr

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2016, 11:14:04 AM »
Agree..+1

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2016, 04:15:41 AM »
You maybe right to a certain point but these kind of threads are giving the companies food for thought for their next V2 project  :D
Keep it up people we're pushing the boundaries!
Just call this the "Tempest pointless request" thread
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 04:17:45 AM by Yorgos Arabatzis »

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2016, 09:27:43 AM »
Hey Guys,

You know the way the various sound types (lead, bass, noise etc) cause tempest to jump to the corresponding folder when the load sound encoder is tweaked?  There's currently no way to jump directly to one of the 4 user folders using that method.   That's a problem if you need to make an instantaneous switch mid-beat to a sound in one of the user folders.  It is currently only possible once u have first set the encoder to the user folder in question & once u leave the beat, the folder assignment is not stored.

I guess u can work around it by placing the sound you want to jump to alphabetically first in one of the standard folders & set it's sound type accordingly, but obviousky u can only have 1 such sound per folder & due to the limited number of folders it would also probably lead to poorly categorised sounds.  Being able to jump directly to the 4 user folders in addition would help alleviate this.

Cheers, J :)

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2016, 11:59:19 AM »

Dear DSI,

No One Will Steal Your IP And Make A Chinese Tempest, Instead They Will Make Your Product A Lot More Useful And You Can Sell More Hardware!

Pretty Please!
Thank you.

I think there are 10 different processors in the Tempest.

A while ago a guy set up a crowdsourcing thingy to get the $1000 required for the dev kit for just one of these processors in order to work on sample import. The DSI dev guy said that he would give technical help if the guy got the dev kit.

I think he managed to get a few dollars, total failure.

It's not an intel chip in a box running linux that part time programmers can realistically deal with.

LucidSFX

• Soundcloud
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2016, 01:37:02 PM »
The trick to sample import is to submerse your tempest in a bucket of water for 10 days. Scotch can shave off a few days.
LucidSFX

-----------------------
current hybrid setup
-----------------------

2 x Technics 1200 MK7
Allen & Heath DB4
Allen Heath K2
Tempest
VirusTI2
RME UFX
Adam A7
SP2400 (on order)
Glenlivet 18yr scotch

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2016, 10:00:12 PM »

Dear DSI,

Pretty Please!
Thank you.

I think there are 10 different processors in the Tempest.

A while ago a guy set up a crowdsourcing thingy to get the $1000 required for the dev kit for just one of these processors in order to work on sample import. The DSI dev guy said that he would give technical help if the guy got the dev kit.

I think he managed to get a few dollars, total failure.

It's not an intel chip in a box running linux that part time programmers can realistically deal with.

Probably a PIC processor or maybe even some type of ARM processors.
https://soundcloud.com/the-aural

https://www.facebook.com/auralproductions/

Ensoniq SQ80, Kawai K5, Yamaha CS6x & DX200, Alesis ion, Akai Z4, DSI gear: {Evolver Desktop, Poly Evolver Keyboard, Mopho x4, Tempest}, Waldorf Blofeld & Streichfett, Moog Freqbox, Roland R8 & R8m

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2016, 12:43:28 AM »
The main MCU is a PIC32 but as I said there are many different processors.

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2016, 05:34:09 AM »
Hi all,

After speaking to DSI support I was made aware that the Midi standard is to have midi clock running continuously even if the Tempest is in Stop mode.
I could put a request forward to have it..... Possibly.... but unlikely added to a later firmware but I  let it be at that time.
Just asking,  Is this a worthy request for other users or is every one using Tempest as a Master clock happy for it to run all the time?
I have a Korg Poly 61 using a Doepfer MSY2 to trigger its Arpeggiator in and the Tempest will keep sending clocks even while stopped therefore running the Korgs arpeggiator constantly.
I know we are hoping to have the real bugs/issues fixed with Tempest but is this only common to my setup or is it worth pushing for a selectable Midi clocks sent 1) Always or 2) On run/record  only?
I can utilise the Mixers audio mute for the Korg but thought I would ask how other people if any work around this.
My computer based sequencer (Anvil Studio) only sends clocks and selectable divisions of that only when running.
Anyway thought I would gauge the interest if any in this.

Cheers
Tim