Tempest Feature Request

LucidSFX

• Drifting is fun with cars not with MIDI Clock.
    • Soundcloud
Re: Tempest Feature Request
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2016, 01:57:53 PM »
Those last requests are awesome. Especially #1 and #4
LucidSFX

-----------------------
current hybrid setup
-----------------------

2 x Technics 1200 MK7
Allen & Heath DB4
Allen Heath K2
Tempest
VirusTI2
RME UFX
Adam A7
SP2400 (on order)
Glenlivet 18yr scotch

« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2016, 11:48:16 PM »
Polymeter (by watching drumbrute simple and efficient results with this capability) simple to implement ?

Stoss

« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2016, 08:10:18 AM »
Speaking of the DrumBrute and its ability to have individual track lengths creating the opportunity for unique polyrhythms... This, of course would be awesome on the Tempest. I imagine it to be way more difficult because the Tempest isn't simply a 16 step sequencer. It's complex sequencer design is probably at the core of why I musically connect with the device. Being able to drop in a burst of 32nd notes wherever I want exactly as I played them is nothing I can accomplish on the Rytm and certainly wouldn't happen on the DrumBrute. It's a player centric device, and I love that.

Seeing the DrumBrute and the stir it has created makes me think about the Tempest and DSI's perspective on just how much time and resources they want to dedicate to its completion. I think there would be high value for them to dedicate themselves fully to the perfection of the device. Since its introduction, many new features have been added that were never advertised... yes, a few things were lost that were promised... but all in all... this thing is leaps and bounds more capable than the DrumBrute and radically different than most other drum machines. Why not make all the little bugs go away, consider adding some of the extra features that are doable, and then have some sort of rerelease of the product with the support of the many users that have been the beta testers and contributors for the first 5 years of its life. I'm suggesting that DSI would look at the Tempest not as a pain in the ass product whose continued development eats into profits and new product development, but rather as a product that can create new revenue and help shape DSI's reputation. I would love to see Dave proudly talking about this instrument rather than timidly avoiding the topic because of known flaws.

One can only dream (and only so much on behalf of someone else).

Stoss

« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2016, 08:13:20 AM »
Also... Saving the settings of the FX Sliders with each sound is essential. Designing how those work is a major part of designing a successful sound you want to perform with... and, in my opinion, takes the place of needing parameter locks.

« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2016, 11:29:53 AM »
Thank you Stoss for sharing your opinion on polymeter topic... it seems the drumbrute might be a good companion for the tempest (which I love as it is already today but would love DSI continues to support it and enhance it )

« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2016, 02:26:26 PM »
Also... Saving the settings of the FX Sliders with each sound is essential. Designing how those work is a major part of designing a successful sound you want to perform with... and, in my opinion, takes the place of needing parameter locks.

+1

Amen to that, Stoss!  I've been campaigning for that since day one.  I will never understand how it was envisioned to work, having a single set of Note FX parameters meant to manipulate multiple sounds.  Indeed the way Note FX interact with a given sound is a delicate and crucial balancing act, specific to each sound.  Then to have those parameters saved at the 'Beat' level instead of with the sounds themselves... It's an awkward implementation to be sure.

On a side note - speaking of the DrumBrute - if anyone is looking for an affordable companion for the Tempest, one that can achieve polymeter sequences quickly and intuitively, the Korg E2 should not be overlooked.  I know the drums are sample based; but seriously, with all the synth parameters and FX onboard, it's a very flexible [supplementary] drum machine with a far superior sequencer to the DrumBrute.  For a few hundred bucks anyway, you really can't go wrong.  It really does compensate well for the Tempest's shortcomings, both as a synth and a drum machine.

Don't get me wrong, I'll probably cave and get a DrumBrute too (smirk).

Cheers!

P.S. If you're a true geek, and not faint of heart, you can also visit my tutorials on polyrhythm and polymeter here:

http://dsiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=6236

And remember, folks, you can record with the quantize 'OFF' on the Tempest; so if you're a real player, you can do any rhythm your fingers can handle (wink).
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 02:58:43 PM by John the Savage »

« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2016, 03:08:55 PM »
As an alternative to having individual "track" lengths (which the Tempest's sequencer was not designed to do), a simple way to facilitate the creation of polyrhythms would be to include grid and roll quantize values for 5's, 7's, and 9's in both 1/4 and 1/8 note time divisions.  Granted, that wouldn't cover polymeters per se, but it would be a step in the right direction (pun intended).

(smirk)

Cheers!

« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2016, 03:52:29 AM »

+1

I ranted (a bit hysterically) about this here

http://dsiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=5399&p=45127#p45127

which is a good summary of the issue....

IMO this is the biggest workflow problem with the T... the other being copying sounds with sequence to other beats.

D3d

« Reply #48 on: October 30, 2016, 11:13:30 PM »
Feature Request:

Beat roll two tempests together.

« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2016, 01:04:35 PM »
pre/post filter on the digital oscs as a modulation destination
+1

Is there a possibility to modulate waveform (or better say - chose sample ) via LFO/ENVELOPE in the digital OSCs of Tempest?
+1

#3 LFO shapes as destination

#4 Glide and Peak to Mod Destination

#5 don't work modulation LFO Rate by Mod Path when LFO in Sync mode

« Reply #50 on: November 05, 2016, 10:09:06 PM »
Speaking of the DrumBrute and its ability to have individual track lengths creating the opportunity for unique polyrhythms... This, of course would be awesome on the Tempest. I imagine it to be way more difficult because the Tempest isn't simply a 16 step sequencer. It's complex sequencer design is probably at the core of why I musically connect with the device. Being able to drop in a burst of 32nd notes wherever I want exactly as I played them is nothing I can accomplish on the Rytm and certainly wouldn't happen on the DrumBrute. It's a player centric device, and I love that.

Seeing the DrumBrute and the stir it has created makes me think about the Tempest and DSI's perspective on just how much time and resources they want to dedicate to its completion. I think there would be high value for them to dedicate themselves fully to the perfection of the device. Since its introduction, many new features have been added that were never advertised... yes, a few things were lost that were promised... but all in all... this thing is leaps and bounds more capable than the DrumBrute and radically different than most other drum machines. Why not make all the little bugs go away, consider adding some of the extra features that are doable, and then have some sort of rerelease of the product with the support of the many users that have been the beta testers and contributors for the first 5 years of its life. I'm suggesting that DSI would look at the Tempest not as a pain in the ass product whose continued development eats into profits and new product development, but rather as a product that can create new revenue and help shape DSI's reputation. I would love to see Dave proudly talking about this instrument rather than timidly avoiding the topic because of known flaws.

One can only dream (and only so much on behalf of someone else).

I agree!

I think by fixing the bugs and the addition of new features it puts the Tempest ahead and in a new light. It's still a very unique product.
https://soundcloud.com/the-aural

https://www.facebook.com/auralproductions/

Ensoniq SQ80, Kawai K5, Yamaha CS6x & DX200, Alesis ion, Akai Z4, DSI gear: {Evolver Desktop, Poly Evolver Keyboard, Mopho x4, Tempest}, Waldorf Blofeld & Streichfett, Moog Freqbox, Roland R8 & R8m

« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2016, 11:35:08 AM »
I suggest proper external control of mute states. At the moment there is no way to send a definitive mute on/off command to the T, because without looking (visually) its impossible to tell which pads are muted and which aren't.
So how about an option for momentary external control of pad mutes, where a velocity of 0 mutes and 127 unmutes?

« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2016, 12:57:55 PM »
1/64th and 1/64T Quantization

« Reply #53 on: November 29, 2016, 04:51:20 PM »
+1 on Polymeter. And new sample banks! Maybe its not possible for individual owners to load their own samples due to standardization and bugs, i can get it. But then you might think of releasing sound packs :)

LucidSFX

• Drifting is fun with cars not with MIDI Clock.
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #54 on: November 30, 2016, 02:58:22 PM »
Get Yorgos on the sound pack design team;)

As for samples....what samples does anyone really need? I may obtuse but adding more samples doesnt necessarily mean you now end up with an Acces Virus synth.

I'd like to hear from Yorgos on his thoughts about additional samples. How does this  help make better sounds?

LucidSFX

-----------------------
current hybrid setup
-----------------------

2 x Technics 1200 MK7
Allen & Heath DB4
Allen Heath K2
Tempest
VirusTI2
RME UFX
Adam A7
SP2400 (on order)
Glenlivet 18yr scotch

« Reply #55 on: November 30, 2016, 04:27:54 PM »
Thanks for the compliments LucidSFX :D If they want me there in San Francisco creating patches and contributing 24/7 i'm all in!It's one of my favorite cities after all  8)
Basically from what i understand users want to take advantage of Tempest's powerful synth engine and be able to have access to a wide palet of sounds both "bread & butter" and modern..Also these sounds must be usable when someone applies beat wide FX,reverse and such and don't want to ruin a mix or blowing out the speakers.That's what i had in mind when i was working on the 808 kit.Something to be instantly fun & playable.That's what Tempest is in it's soul and that's what all us users want after all... ;)

As for samples....what samples does anyone really need? I may obtuse but adding more samples doesnt necessarily mean you now end up with an Acces Virus synth.

I'd like to hear from Yorgos on his thoughts about additional samples. How does this  help make better sounds?

« Reply #56 on: December 01, 2016, 06:03:24 AM »
Thanks for the compliments LucidSFX :D If they want me there in San Francisco creating patches and contributing 24/7 i'm all in!It's one of my favorite cities after all  8)
Basically from what i understand users want to take advantage of Tempest's powerful synth engine and be able to have access to a wide palet of sounds both "bread & butter" and modern..Also these sounds must be usable when someone applies beat wide FX,reverse and such and don't want to ruin a mix or blowing out the speakers.That's what i had in mind when i was working on the 808 kit.Something to be instantly fun & playable.That's what Tempest is in it's soul and that's what all us users want after all... ;)

Hi Yorgos,

Any chance of some clearer specifics regarding how the mod paths are set up in your 808 kit?  I seem to recall (I'm not in front of my Tempest) that you can only use 2 sliders as mod sources, as opposed to the 4 that the beat-wide approach allows, right?  How have you worked around that limitation?

Cheers, J :)

« Reply #57 on: December 01, 2016, 06:19:10 AM »
I'm not following your question...Both Note FX & Beat FX can use 4 sliders (FX1,FX2,F3,FX4).
Hi Yorgos,

Any chance of some clearer specifics regarding how the mod paths are set up in your 808 kit?  I seem to recall (I'm not in front of my Tempest) that you can only use 2 sliders as mod sources, as opposed to the 4 that the beat-wide approach allows, right?  How have you worked around that limitation?

« Reply #58 on: December 02, 2016, 04:14:42 AM »
I'm not following your question...Both Note FX & Beat FX can use 4 sliders (FX1,FX2,F3,FX4).
Hi Yorgos,

Hi Yorgos,

Yeh sorry, I wasn't clear!  What I mean is, unless I'm misunderstanding, you're using the Mod Paths screen to assign controllability, essentially replacing the need for beatwide control, right?  And in the Mod Paths screen you only have access to slider 1 and slider 2 as mod sources, 3 and 4 are not listed, right?

« Reply #59 on: December 02, 2016, 06:24:20 AM »
Nop,no beatwide replacement...First you have to answer a question..."What's beatFX doing to my sounds if i crank it all the way up?" Simple answer: Cranks the parameters up to the extremes...Philosophical question next (my Greek nature to blame :P)...What if i already crank all the parameters to the max and use mod matrix to sculpt my sound 8) That's the hack i'm talking about... ;)
Hi Yorgos,

Yeh sorry, I wasn't clear!  What I mean is, unless I'm misunderstanding, you're using the Mod Paths screen to assign controllability, essentially replacing the need for beatwide control, right?  And in the Mod Paths screen you only have access to slider 1 and slider 2 as mod sources, 3 and 4 are not listed, right?